Bibby Stockholm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If they pitched up on a boat with no papers they did.

Apols if this ship is strictly for those seeking asylum who arrived legally with papers.

One point still stands though, it makes the UK look even more attractive to those displaced persons who are currently living in really dreadful conditions on mainland Europe.

AIUI, and the act which Rex assented to today may change it, then provided arrivals promptly declare themselves to UK as seeking asylum they're here legally.

I'm not remotely convinced that the UK is massively attractive per se. Those coming here seek to join family or established communities of their kith/kin.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Veteran
AIUI, and the act which as assented to today may change it , then provided arrivals promptly declare themselves to UK as seeking asylum they're here legally.

I'm not remotely convinced that the UK is massively attractive per se. Those coming here seek to join family or established communities of their kith/kin.

Your understanding of the law may be better than mine, but for the time being I'm sticking with the belief that if a person arrives here without the docs normally required by Border Control, they have entered illegally.

As regards the UK being attractive, there is some evidence in the shape of leaflets in foreign languages advising their readers how best to milk the system.

I wonder how many other countries would keep you warm and fed, and put you up in a hotel for months on end, all found.

Not many, if any, I reckon.

France doesn't look very welcoming, if it was all those people in Calais would be happily tucked up in 'pensions'.

My view is the majority of boat people are easier life seekers, whether they have family here or not.

It's one of the reasons they pitch up with no documents.

If they had them, it would be too easy to say: "There's no evidence of bother in your country, back home you go."

C R

Über Member
To put in perspective the attraction of the UK to refugees, have a look at this

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263423/major-refugee-hosting-countries-worldwide/

Screenshot_20230722-093808_Chrome.jpg

This is the ranking of refugee hosting countries in the world. Notice that only two European countries are in the top ten, and the UK is not one of them.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Turkey and the bottom half a dozen are likely temporarily accommodating displaced persons due to regional wars. I'm not sure those people are being offered permanent residential status or any assistance to settle so it's not a straightforward comparison with European countries. If it were an EU/Europe only chart, I doubt the UK would make the top 6 though.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Contrary to what we are being told, most refugees do not want to come to the UK.

Given the number of displaced persons, that must be true, or at least a majority do not actually come to the UK, what they want is unknown

However, those migrants that do arrive in the UK appear to have made an awful lot of effort to get here, so there is a big attraction somewhere.

All uphill

Some of the appeal of this kind of solution to the government is that asylum requests will not be processed while applicants are in hotels or on this floating accommodation.

This leaves people fleeing bad situations safe, but in a horrible limbo that can last indefinitely.

At a time when we have an aging population and a shortage of skills and labour it makes little economic sense to pay to contain people who could be contributing by working and paying taxes. Unfortunately it makes some political sense for getting votes from a section of the population.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Given the number of displaced persons, that must be true, or at least a majority do not actually come to the UK, what they want is unknown

However, those migrants that do arrive in the UK appear to have made an awful lot of effort to get here, so there is a big attraction somewhere.

Aren’t the ones prepared to make an awful lot of effort the ones we want?

Pale Rider

Veteran
That boat looks exactly like what it is: a floating prison

Have you, or anyone who likes this post, been inside a prison?

I've visited several, and I can tell you your post is simply untrue.

The compact bedrooms do resemble a typical cell layout being L-shaped, with the beds being on the long side of the L, and washing facilities and the potty on the short part of the L.

I've been in similar sized and laid out hotel rooms, albeit single occupancy.

Multi-occupancy is not as bad as it's painted, certainly in the case of cons.

Several have told me they prefer to share because they like some company.

Aren’t the ones prepared to make an awful lot of effort the ones we want?

I suppose they could be if they turned up with some docs, preferably indicating their trade or profession.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Have you, or anyone who likes this post, been inside a prison?

I've visited several, and I can tell you your post is simply untrue.

The compact bedrooms do resemble a typical cell layout being L-shaped, with the beds being on the long side of the L, and washing facilities and the potty on the short part of the L.

I've been in similar sized and laid out hotel rooms, albeit single occupancy.

Multi-occupancy is not as bad as it's painted, certainly in the case of cons.

Several have told me they prefer to share because they like some company.

I suppose they could be if they turned up with some docs, preferably indicating their trade or profession.

Yes. Yes I have. I dunno which ones you've visited but they must be lovely.

Top Bottom