UK set to criminalise illicit refugee crossings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Unfortunately, simple facts are as nothing to the foaming gammon....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Been a while....

The government is now spending almost £7 million a day housing asylum seekers in hotels and the cost could continue to rise, MPs heard.
The Commons Home Affairs Committee was told £5.6 million a day was being spent on hotels for people who have arrived in the UK and have submitted a claim, with an additional £1.2 million paid to house Afghan refugees who fled the Taliban takeover while long-term accommodation is sought, PA reports.
The total £6.8 million is over £2 million more than the government said it was spending in February (£4.7 million).
Asked by committee chairwoman Dame Diana Johnson if the cost was likely to go up again, Abi Tierney, director general of the passport office and UK visas and immigration, replied: “Yes.”
MPs also learned the Home Office has only processed 4% of asylum claims by those who crossed the Channel last year and officials admitted the interception rate made by French police of those attempting the journey has fallen.
Concerns were also raised about conditions at the Manston Airport site in Kent, which is meant to be a short-term holding facility to process migrants when they arrive in the UK.
MPs heard the number of people arriving was “outstripping” the capacity of the site and some were being held there for as long as a month, compared with the 24 hours intended.

Let's invest in a bit of humanity and have people processed promptly so that those those than may remain have the opportunity to contribute to society. It's not like there isn't a jobs and skills shortage out there....

icowden

Legendary Member
Let's invest in a bit of humanity and have people processed promptly so that those those than may remain have the opportunity to contribute to society. It's not like there isn't a jobs and skills shortage out there....
Sadly Cruella Braverman will continue to spend taxpayers cash to send people to Rwanda rather than process the paperwork and let these people pay taxes.

mudsticks

Squire
Why not house a few families on your new Devon estate @Fab Foodie and give them a job on @mudsticks farm, that should help out surely?

I'd love to be able to offer paid work, or accomodation to asylum seekers here.

As it is all paying positions are filled right now, so even if it was 'allowed' I couldnt.

I guess I'll just have to keep up with the other bits and pieces of support, fundraising etc, It doesn't feel like much really, but better than zero I spose 🤔

mudsticks

Squire
You think that’s a zinger of an argument. But I suspect they would welcome agricultural workers.
It’s the government stopping them from working.

I suspect these people could bring a lot of drive and initiative, and even maybe new ways of working beneficial to agriculture.

I've had a lot of people from overseas working on this farm over the years, in one capacity or another
I've never not learnt something from them.

Bazzer

You think that’s a zinger of an argument. But I suspect they would welcome agricultural workers.
It’s the government stopping them from working.
It's not just agricultural workers. Earlier today on Radio 4, some chap, (possibly the owner/chairman, I missed his introduction) from the fast food restaurant chain Itzu was complaining about the lack of migrant workers and the impact it was having on his wage bill and of course prices.
He was advocating for two year visas, albeit mainly aimed at young people, so something like a pre Brexit workforce availability, but with conditions. Another Brexit fail?
But there would be no reason why some of those roles, or others crying out for staff such as the care sector, couldn't be filled by asylum seekers, except of course government policy in prohibiting them working.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Jenrick and Gale visited Manston yesterday and Gale on the toady program this morning was both pretty scathing of the Home Office and very supportive of those working there in difficult situations, and the need for faster processing.

Just listened to somebody Saunders senior immigration something or other in the govt. He needs taking outside and shooting for supporting Rwanda, and suggesting a cruise ship detention centre in international waters. The final straw was saying that the conditions in Manston are no worse than the conditions they were in in Calais....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
In an interview on the Today programme Gale said that Manston was “overwhelmed” and that conditions there were “wholly unacceptable”. He said the catering and the medical facilties at the site were good, but that it was just far too overcrowded. He told the programme:

There are simply far too many people there and this situation should never have been allowed to develop. And I’m not sure that it hasn’t almost been developed deliberately.
Asked what he meant by that, he went on:

I was told that the Home Office was finding it very difficult to secure hotel accommodation. I now understand that this was a policy issue and a decision was taken not to book additional hotel space. Now that’s like driving a car down a motorway, seeing them motorway clear ahead, an then there’s a car cras, and then suddenly there’s a five-mile tailback. The car crash was the decision not to book more hotel space.
Gale said he thought the decision not to find more hotel accommodation for the people in Manson was taken by the home secretary, although he said he was not sure whether it was Suella Braverman, the current one, or Priti Patel, her main predecessor. (Grant Shapps was also in office very briefly.) Asked what the motive might be for a policy decision like this, Gale said he did not “want to go there”. But when Nick Robinson asked what he would think if ministers had allowed conditions to deteriorate to deter potential asylum seekers, Gale said he would find that wholly unacceptable”. He also said he thought the government’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda was unacceptable.

There have been several reports saying Braverman did take decisons that allowed conditions at Manston to deteriorate. In the Times on Saturday Matt Dathan reported that “decisions made by Suella Braverman led directly to overcrowding and outbreaks of scabies and diphtheria at a migrant processing centre in Kent”. He wrote:

Multiple government sources who work on asylum accommodation said she had blocked the transfer of thousands of migrants detained at a processing centre at Manston airport to hotels during her first, six-week spell as home secretary.
Home Office officials warned her that she risked breaking the law by detaining people — including an Afghan family — for periods of up to 32 days at the centre.
In the Sunday Times Harry Yorke and Tim Shipman amplified the story, saying that Braverman’s decision could lead to the government losing a costly legal case. Yorke and Shipman wrote:

According to five sources, Braverman, 42, was also told that the legal breach needed to be resolved urgently by rehousing the asylum seekers in alternative accommodation.
Two sources said she was also warned by officials that the Home Office had no chance of defending a legal challenge and the matter could also result in a public inquiry if exposed.
A government source said: “The government is likely to be JR’d [judicially reviewed] and it’s likely that all of them would be granted asylum, so it’s going to achieve the exact opposite of what she wants. These people could also launch a class action against us and cost the taxpayer millions.”
In response, the Home Office says that Braverman “has taken urgent decisions to alleviate issues at Manston and source alternative accommodation” and that she was right to consider “all available options”.

Gale, and the Labour party, want Braverman to answer questions about this in the Commons this afternoon. It is possible that the Speaker may grant an urgent question (UQs), or that the Home Office will offer a statement. But MPs are less likely to hear from Braverman herself. She has not been keen on defending her record himself – she is still facing questions about the leak scandal too – and she avoided the Commons on Wednesday and on Thursday last week, when UQs addressed to her were granted. Jeremy Quin, a Cabinet Office minister, answered the one about her resignation instead, and Robert Jenrick, the immigration minister, picked up the one about Manston.

Top Bottom