The whiff is growing- £2k worth of football tickets for Mr Starmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Don't MPs get an allowance for employing someone to do these "chores", indeed, don't many (if not all) of them, employ a family member to do this (I know the MP for the Constituency adjacent to ours does). It does greatly concern me if someone who is asking me to vote for them to run the Country, cannot even organise his own affairs (with help if needed).

This

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Do they have to self report to the Commissioner or is somebody dobbing them in?
Interesting use of language here. Someone may be 'dobbing in' Labour politicians, but when it comes to Conservatives the language is more often about 'whistle-blowing' or 'exposing a wrong doing'

icowden

Legendary Member
Interesting use of language here. Someone may be 'dobbing in' Labour politicians, but when it comes to Conservatives the language is more often about 'whistle-blowing' or 'exposing a wrong doing'
Yes, because usually Labour Politicians have just made a mistake, and ended up submitting something late, whereas Conservative Policitians are more likely to be trying to evade recording lest it affect their financial affairs and ruin their plans for Ivan Lobyingproposityon to pay for a moat around their duck pond.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Yes, because usually Labour Politicians have just made a mistake, and ended up submitting something late, whereas Conservative Policitians are more likely to be trying to evade recording lest it affect their financial affairs and ruin their plans for Ivan Lobyingproposityon to pay for a moat around their duck pond.
How do you know that Labour politicians have made mistakes and that David Lammy isn't just on the take?

icowden

Legendary Member
How do you know that Labour politicians have made mistakes and that David Lammy isn't just on the take?
I don't but looking at the available information, it does appear likely that his error was an oversight rather than an orchestrated attempt to deceive or general incompetence and disregard for the rules.
Under the rules, MPs must register changes to their financial interests within 28 days. Lammy’s financial register contains a series of interests registered after that period, including a speech in the US on the invasion of Ukraine. A sum of £3,280 received from the Canary Wharf Group on 1 December for a speech and question-and-answer session was not registered until 27 May.
So he declared interests before and after the missing sum
A spokesperson for Lammy said: “David Lammy takes his declaration responsibilities seriously and as soon as this was brought to his attention he wrote to registrar of members’ financial interests to apologise for the administrative errors in his office which led to late declarations in December last year.

Contrast that with Johnson who was told *multiple* times and just ignored the warnings, accepted freebie holidays etc or with Owen Paterson who accepted payments of over £100,000 for lobbying. Or Adam Afriyie failing to declare renting out his 4.5 million pound mansion on Air BnB - an offence which he had already fallen foul of. Then you have Maria Caulfield and David Dugioid who used parliamentary stationary and postage for their personal use to make things look "official". IDS also failed to register 10 different payments for newspaper articles. Adam Holloway failed to make clear that his holiday to Quatar was paid for by the Quatari government. Karl McCartney failed to declare links to his family firm. 5 Conservative MPs breached rules by using Parliamentary notepaper to write to senior Judges to try to derail the conviction of Charlie Elphicke. Or how about Craig Tracey who failed to declare donations from various Golf Courses and Golf Equipment companies when chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Golf?

Then you have the contracts for PPE given to mates of Conservative policitians without oversight or tender.

And you wonder why we are a bit more suspicious of Conservative MPs than Labour ones?

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
So he declared interests before and after the missing sum
Interesting. So he knew he had to declare, and if you are correct he declared other sums but not this one, the question you should be asking is why was he trying to hide this one?

Where is this money really from, what is he trying to hide?

I used the term dobbing in to cover all and every MP reported. I've read a press report somewhere that suggested both main parties were reporting the other to the Commissioner as an extension of political warfare.

Which was why I asked the question.

icowden

Legendary Member
Interesting. So he knew he had to declare, and if you are correct he declared other sums but not this one, the question you should be asking is why was he trying to hide this one? Where is this money really from, what is he trying to hide?
If it was £100,000 and it wasn't declared at all then yes. Given that it was £3000 for a speech (good money in speeches apparently) and was just declared late rather than not at all, it seems that he wasn't trying to avoid recording it, nor does he have a history of serial offending.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Interesting. So he knew he had to declare, and if you are correct he declared other sums but not this one, the question you should be asking is why was he trying to hide this one?

Where is this money really from, what is he trying to hide?

You really are getting desperate now.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
it seems that he wasn't trying to avoid recording it, nor does he have a history of serial offending.

If he hasn't reported this, maybe you could tell us what else he has never reported, and exactly how you know what else he has never told anyone about?

No-one has a history of serial-offending until they start getting caught out.

If he hasn't reported this, maybe you could tell us what else he has never reported, and exactly how you know what else he has never told anyone about?

No-one has a history of serial-offending until they start getting caught out.

Clutching at straws there.

Serial offenders do get caught out qv the PM and Owen Paterson.

Either put up the evidence of Starmer's offending or.....

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member

Nonsense, I am not clutching at straws at all. Merely pointing out that before someone is caught out, they are not serial offenders are they? Otherwise you wouldn't be describing the PM and Owen Patterson because we wouldn't know about it!

Keir Starmer has been caught out lying about Angela Rayner being at the party (and is being investigated by the Police for other matters), an £18,000 advance, tickets to a football match, tickets to a different football match and some minor hospitality that he should have declared but didn't. That is half a dozen things, how many make a serial offender? I suppose for murders it is around 3 or 4 to be a serial killer?

You are just a Labour supporter so happy to believe any nonsense they come out with, and always believe that they are making honest mistakes, whereas you would never believe a Tory would make an honest mistake. You are simply blinkered.

D

Deleted member 49

Nonsense, I am not clutching at straws at all. Merely pointing out that before someone is caught out, they are not serial offenders are they? Otherwise you wouldn't be describing the PM and Owen Patterson because we wouldn't know about it!

Keir Starmer has been caught out lying about Angela Rayner being at the party (and is being investigated by the Police for other matters), an £18,000 advance, tickets to a football match, tickets to a different football match and some minor hospitality that he should have declared but didn't. That is half a dozen things, how many make a serial offender? I suppose for murders it is around 3 or 4 to be a serial killer?

You are just a Labour supporter so happy to believe any nonsense they come out with, and always believe that they are making honest mistakes, whereas you would never believe a Tory would make an honest mistake. You are simply blinkered.
There's nowt more strange than a Tory voter calling out lies lol....id take your moral stance on lies and corruption a little more seriously if you'd also like to call out Johnson and his party ? I mean compared to Starmer and Labour there premier league arent they ?
I'm not defending Starmer I'd be only to glad if he was caught out and went.Just odd that you choose not to see what's right in front of you.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
There's nowt more strange than a Tory voter calling out lies lol....id take your moral stance on lies and corruption a little more seriously if you'd also like to call out Johnson and his party ? I mean compared to Starmer and Labour there premier league arent they ?
I'm not defending Starmer I'd be only to glad if he was caught out and went.Just odd that you choose not to see what's right in front of you.

But I am not defending the Conservative party on this.

I am pointing out that 'Mr Rules' may not be quite so pure, and I get told over and over he has made an honest mistake, followed by about 7 more honest mistakes.
David Lammy has made an honest mistake, followed by an honest mistake.
Angela Rayner made an honest mistake about not remembering she stood up from a chair so Keir Starmer could sit down, then another one in not remembering she had a curry with him, then another that the totally on the hoof impromptu curry had been arranged several weeks in advance.

I have said it over and over but none of you seem to want to read those bits, I am not defending the Tories on any lies, I am pointing out that the weird group-think belief of 'Labour politicians make honest mistakes and Tories lie' is actually totally nonsense, they all lie when it suits and they think they can get away with it.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Shouldn't that say "Some serial offenders get caught out.... "

There may or may not be other serial offenders (from any party), but, unless they are caught out, we do not know they are offenders.

Top Bottom