The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I'm right in saying, that so far as people trying to cross from Belarus in the last 2-3 years are concerned, it's a direct result of Lukashenko using people, mainly from Iraq and Syria, to screw up Poland and rest of EU after his fraudulent re-election.
Yes i don't known if they are still trying but i agree that they indeed tried that or that is was their goal.

There were issues before for sure, going back to before 2016, where the EU wanted nations away from the 'front line' in the Eastern Med to take an allocation of refugees and Poland was against it along with other countries, including the UK.
Think it was long before 2016 but 2016 was one of the moments it lead to a clash sort of speak.

the snail

But since you know it all, perhaps you could explain how all these black and brown people landed in Belarus, another place where the welcome is likely to be frosty.

I think many were students, there is a history of africans studying in the (former) soviet union?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

BoldonLad

Anybody who has visited Poland will tell you it's pretty much 100% white and that people with dark skins, even tourists, may get a hard time in pubs etc particularly off the main tourist beats.

Did Ms Adler explain why there were black/brown people in Belarus? Are they from it's former territories overseas?

Doesn't seem very likely, based on it's history, according to the BBC:
I think I'm right in saying, that so far as people trying to cross from Belarus in the last 2-3 years are concerned, it's a direct result of Lukashenko using people, mainly from Iraq and Syria, to screw up Poland and rest of EU after his fraudulent re-election.

There were issues before for sure, going back to before 2016, where the EU wanted nations away from the 'front line' in the Eastern Med to take an allocation of refugees and Poland was against it along with other countries, including the UK.

How could that work?, wouldn't all of these refugees simply bolster the economy of Poland, and/or whichever EU state they migrated to?

How could that work?, wouldn't all of these refugees simply bolster the economy of Poland, and/or whichever EU state they migrated to?

Not sure if that comment is mischievous or not.

A serioius answer would be along the lines of....

Assuming they're allowed to work and integrate , which includes employers accepting them for jobs and landlord giving them tenancies, then that's likely to be the case.

If that's not what happens, and I don't know the Polish for/legal position on signs to the effect od "no dogs, blacks or Irish brown people", and folks end up destitute on the streets then it's different.

BoldonLad

Not sure if that comment is mischievous or not.

A serioius answer would be along the lines of....

Assuming they're allowed to work and integrate , which includes employers accepting them for jobs and landlord giving them tenancies, then that's likely to be the case.

If that's not what happens, and I don't know the Polish for/legal position on signs to the effect od "no dogs, blacks or Irish brown people", and folks end up destitute on the streets then it's different.

Not at all.

I cannot speak for the people of Poland, or even of the UK, but, personally, I don't have a problem with immigration.

I can understand how it may be thought that a large influx of immigrants may be thought as a means of destabilising a Country. I don't have the educational background to state absolutes, but, experience does suggest that people do not accept change readily, and there is a point at which rapid change produces a breakdown of the system. This may not be a "nice" human characteristic, but, in my experience it does exist, if we like it or not.

Quite what precisely constitutes "large influx" or "rapid change" I am not qualified to say, but, I do think, based on life experiences, such boundaries exist, and, need to be managed carefully, if breakdown is to be avoided.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66791416

Here we go, an article about detention centres and migrants/asylum seekers being treated disgracefully, to the point of suicide.

There’s also the recent case of Manston detention centre, which was designed to accommodate 1,600 people but was crammed with 4,000 asylum seekers. This led to overcrowding and disease.

Detention here was supposed to be for no more than 24 hours but Home Secretary Suella Braverman was breaking the law in keeping people there for weeks at a time. One Afghan family was kept there for 32 days in a tent.

Independent Inspector of Borders David Neal described the situation at the centre as "wretched".

Pale Rider

Veteran
You mentioned Belarus at post #641.

It's relevance is that Lukashenko has invited migrants, even provided planes, to his country. His intention was/is to inject them into Poland and the Baltics so as to sow discord and destabilise. I'm surprised if Katya Adler didn't mention that - I didn't see the programme but might catch up later.

There is no relevance to how Poland treats migrants.

The only thing that matters for this purpose is what happens to the migrants when they cross the border.

Ukrainians are generally welcomed, black and brown migrants most emphatically not.

If those same people land in the UK, they get decent treatment, food, shelter, and the opportunity to make a case to be allowed to remain.

Can you see the difference?

Top Bottom