The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
What you wrote was this:-

You specifically asked where the word "peasant" came from and then conflated it with crime and being called a thief.
I pointed out where it came from and that it has no link whatsoever with crime or slavery.

Poor social standing is not a crime.

I'm still going to disagree with you. Of course it is *easier* to sell a poor man into slavery than a rich man, but it still has nothing to do with the origin of the word peasant.

I happily call myself a peasant
A person of the countryside and of the land

Of course in this country it has somehow become synonymous with 'backward and stupid, of low social standing'.

Producing good food for one's community in a way that's close to the land and environmentally and socially sound requires one to be quite the opposite of stupid or backward.

Especially when you've also got to negotiate the barriers to doing all that whilst making a living.

But such is the hierarchical mindset of our rigid class based way of thinking about people and their occupations, being a 'peasant farmer' is something looked down upon by many

Thankfully its not quite so much the same elsewhere.
https://viacampesina.org/en/

Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Squire
Anybody who has visited Poland will tell you it's pretty much 100% white and that people with dark skins, even tourists, may get a hard time in pubs etc particularly off the main tourist beats.

Did Ms Adler explain why there were black/brown people in Belarus? Are they from it's former territories overseas?

Are we playing a game of "At least we're not as overtly racist as that lot over there" ??

How very grown up 🌈👍🏼

On the subject of peasants etc...

Mrs B was working in a school yesterday as a supply teacher for a class doing the Russian Revolution(s) for history.

The worksheet defined the proletariat as people working in the city....

We heard what they said but we knew what they meant....

mudsticks

Squire
I'm not.

Merely pointing out the facts as relayed by my son who went there with a group, including a couple of black people, while at Uni.

No I didn't really think you yourself were doing that.

But some people (not you) seem to think that finding a worse example of something going on 'over there' makes the still shoot thing going on 'over here' in some way excusable by comparison.

Basically it's deflection by whataboutery - which doesn't have to be indulged.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I knew that but was waiting for @Pale Rider....

Stop wasting my time.

The part of tale relevant to this thread was how migrants are treated.

As usual, you cannot see the wood for the trees, seeking to complicate everything when the reverse is what's required.

But since you know it all, perhaps you could explain how all these black and brown people landed in Belarus, another place where the welcome is likely to be frosty.

It's no wonder so many strive for the UK, where they are guaranteed bed, board, and decent and humane treatment.

Are we playing a game of "At least we're not as overtly racist as that lot over there" ??

How other countries treat migrants has some bearing on assessing if our treatment is appropriate.

Or at least it does when it suits, given people on here are always quick to compare us unfavourably to European countries in terms of numbers accepted.

But since you know it all, perhaps you could explain how all these black and brown people landed in Belarus, another place where the welcome is likely to be frosty.

They're there with the active encouragement of the Lukashenko regime!!

Stop wasting my time.

The part of tale relevant to this thread was how migrants are treated.

As usual, you cannot see the wood for the trees, seeking to complicate everything when the reverse is what's required.

As usual, nay as ever, I'm interested in facts which was why I asked about Belarus's former empire.

I set you a trap and you've walked into it....

Pale Rider

Veteran
I set you a trap and you've walked into it....

So you are playing stupid games, or think you are.

The only relevance is how migrants are treated in Poland.

All the rest is another of your usual attempts to muddy the waters.

And as regards traps. you couldn't trap air in a paper bag.

The only relevance is how migrants are treated in Poland.

You mentioned Belarus at post #641.

It's relevance is that Lukashenko has invited migrants, even provided planes, to his country. His intention was/is to inject them into Poland and the Baltics so as to sow discord and destabilise. I'm surprised if Katya Adler didn't mention that - I didn't see the programme but might catch up later.

You mentioned Belarus at post #641.

It's relevance is that Lukashenko has invited migrants, even provided planes, to his country. His intention was/is to inject them into Poland and the Baltics so as to sow discord and destabilise. I'm surprised if Katya Adler didn't mention that - I didn't see the programme but might catch up later.
That is not the entire story but yes Belarus/Russia flew in migrants to try to get them across the border with Poland right before they invaded Ukraine.
But you now make it sound like it's the only source of migrants with simply isn't true. What is true tough is that Poland is less welcoming for certain type of migrants, because they don't accept their cultural being forced upon or at least that is what they believe.
That is also why amongst other reasons the system of dividing asylum seekers across eu members didn't really work when we had a big influence from Syria a year or 10 back.

That is not the entire story but yes Belarus/Russia flew in migrants to try to get them across the border with Poland right before they invaded Ukraine.
But you now make it sound like it's the only source of migrants with simply isn't true. What is true tough is that Poland is less welcoming for certain type of migrants, because they don't accept their cultural being forced upon or at least that is what they believe.
That is also why amongst other reasons the system of dividing asylum seekers across eu members didn't really work when we had a big influence from Syria a year or 10 back.

I think I'm right in saying, that so far as people trying to cross from Belarus in the last 2-3 years are concerned, it's a direct result of Lukashenko using people, mainly from Iraq and Syria, to screw up Poland and rest of EU after his fraudulent re-election.

There were issues before for sure, going back to before 2016, where the EU wanted nations away from the 'front line' in the Eastern Med to take an allocation of refugees and Poland was against it along with other countries, including the UK.

Top Bottom