The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Regular
Very cynical. It is the purest of coincidences that £1.3 million in donations to the Conservative Party have been from donors linked to ATOS who have the contract for administering the PIP (amongst many other contracts to the value of around £3bn).

I thought nearly all the assessment contracts were now with other suppliers, with Serco already named to take on the one remaining contract.

Not that a change in supplier makes much difference if the assessment criteria are unfit for purpose.

Reactions: C R

ebikeerwidnes

I thought nearly all the assessment contracts were now with other suppliers, with Serco already named to take on the one remaining contract.

Not that a change in supplier makes much difference if the assessment criteria are unfit for purpose.

Yes - but they are run by private companies so it is good for the shareholders the economy because the company pays tax on some of its profits

multitool

Shaman
Interesting development with Tory MP Dan Poulter crossing the house to Labour. He's standing down next election and returning to work in the NHS, so it would be difficult to accuse him of political opportunism.

Labour don't have to vet him or assess him because he won't be standing as one of their candidates next election. Nevertheless, it's an interesting position where Labour allows in somebody who voted for the Rwanda plan a matter of days ago.

ebikeerwidnes

SO the Tories are doing their bit to improve the health of the nation
by suggesting the issuing of "voucher" to people instead of benefits

vouchers for things like Talking Therapies and Social Care

Anyway - Dear Rishi,

Err - great policy - but why do you have to give "better access" to things like talking therapies and social care - why do they not have easy access to this anyway
Oh - sorry - its because you have withdrawn funding from it over the last 14 years isn't it.
And not you want to the the great hero who is giving people "vouchers" to access something rather than properly funding the NHS who could then do it properly - instead you want to have "better" control of it - which mean that yo make sure it doesn;t cost too much and "the right people" get access to it
rather than allowing the money to be controlled by woke lefty people (like the NHS) who will just give to any Tom Dick and Harry that a doctor says need it

multitool

Shaman
I think the current political scene is interesting.

The lesson of the last 10 years is that, ultimately, populism delivers nothing from whichever pole it comes, simply because it cannot deliver.

Populism is about misdiagnosing problems and prescribing fake remedies that appeal to bigotry (usually blaming an 'othered' group), and do not and cannot ever materially impact people's lives in a positive way.

We've had the mendacious populism of Vote Leave promising a solution to health care and housing bottlenecks if only we "take back control", and the hijacking of it by the Tory party when they decided to ride that wave.

We've had Corbyn's populism, making promises he could not keep nor have any idea how to deliver (Corbyn is a male Liz Truss) and literally preferring being cheered by a self-selecting audience to putting himself up to scrutiny (recall how tetchy he got when pressed on any issue). He is also responsible for Brexit, not only with his silence during the campaign, but also his unwillingness and inability to counter the lies of the Leave campaign.

I like to think and I hope that we are in the dying days of UK populism. Despite unprecedented funds pouring into the Tory party and hard harigh lobby groups with opaque funding, it is clear the electorate has had enough. They want real rather than imaginary change. Real policies rather than performative nonsense like Rwanda plan, and above all they seem to be realising that they have been had by the governing party of the last 14 years.

It is certainly true that Labour have benefitted from Tory ineptitude, but it is also remarkable that in less than 4 years Starmer had pulled the party together into a credible cohesive force.

I hope that he continues to not only dodge the populist barbs flying out of the Tory party, but resists the temptation to throw any back.

We have 6 months left of this toxic administration. I'll be staying up on election night and hoping the we will see the beginning of a move away from what political life and social discourse has become.

ebikeerwidnes

Love the fact that you are blaming Corbyn for Brexit

Never seen that before
except from me

I always said that - as the leader of the Labour Party - he should have been front and centre putting forward clear and concise arguments for whichever side he went for

In stead he explained stuff - and I was often unsure which side he was going for

I reckon that he had stood up and said "No - Vote Remain to protect your Workers Right" then we would have stayed
Or the other way

but he was just not one of the people that the voting public saw as a major player
which was his damn job - whichever side he went for!!

ebikeerwidnes

Rught all you woke lefty pro illegal immigrant people

The amazing and rightful Rwanda plan has properly started now
and deportations HAVE STARTED

OK they had to pay him £3000 but he has gone - or will soon or something

Oh and I just checked and the next flight from Rwanda to France costs about £500
not sure why I looked that up ;-)

anyway - are there elections soon???

multitool

Shaman
Love the fact that you are blaming Corbyn for Brexit

Never seen that before
except from me

I always said that - as the leader of the Labour Party - he should have been front and centre putting forward clear and concise arguments for whichever side he went for

In stead he explained stuff - and I was often unsure which side he was going for

I reckon that he had stood up and said "No - Vote Remain to protect your Workers Right" then we would have stayed
Or the other way

but he was just not one of the people that the voting public saw as a major player
which was his damn job - whichever side he went for!!

I think because he failed so spectacularly as a leader and disappeared into disgrace, people have overlooked the role he played in both the unique self-harm of Brexit, but also allowing the utter denigration of political discourse. In effect Boris Johnson was able to do what he did because Corbyn was so monumentally useless. His populism was little different to the populism of the brexit right. It was grounded in fantasy, undeliverable, regardless of how attractive it may have sounded to some.

It is ridiculous that he was ever on the ballot sheet for the Labour leadership. A man of such limited intellect and zero achievements to his name.

ebikeerwidnes

No it hasn't. This "deportation" was not done under the new plan. This bloke was given a free flight and £3k to go to Rwanda.

yes - it has - I saw a Tory minister say this proves it has started
and this PROVES that Rwanda is a safe country

just because the facts say otherwise does not make it true - as with everything else with this policy

(I am presuming that everyone understand that a certain level of sarcasm is often present in my posts - sorry if I sometime don;t make it clear and people think I am serious!)

Top Bottom