The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
That's a bit thin. What about the scriptures of those religions that don't posit any sort of God, loving or otherwise? And if brain and reason are the only faculties/tools we've got then everything begins to look like sudoku.

Well you have to make an initial leap of faith of course. But, having decided to believe in God (or in any ideology), surely there is then space for the application of (God-given presumably) human reasoning to interpret these written revelations? Otherwise there wouldn't be the Talmud or countless other works that explain scripture. If it was all so obvious, noone would ever write about or discuss any religious based moral teaching.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The text itself tells us we are not under the law of Moses. I doubt, however I will ever live long enough not to see the shellfish and mixed fibres objections being made!

That would mean that we are God. If you have had anything to do with New Age mysticism, there are plenty of people who do think they are realising their own divinity.

I do, however, completely agree with you that using your brain and thinking is entirely appropriate. The shellfish etc. unfortunately usually means not quite enough thinking has been indulged in.

We're getting around to the Free Will discussion, I think.

matticus

Guru
New Minions film is out.

1657015125790.png

Mugshot

Über Member

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Well you have to make an initial leap of faith of course.
What does that even mean, beyond that you decide a path's worth starting out on - experimenting with - without knowing in advance the final destination, like any human endeavour or study or relationship?

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
What does that even mean, beyond that you decide a path's worth starting out on - experimenting with - without knowing in advance the final destination, like any human endeavour or study or relationship?
An initial leap of faith could be something like "I think therefore I am".

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

Without reading the thread again, I think we were talking about morality being grounded in religious belief. So I meant 'leap of faith' in that you cannot empirically prove the existence of God and it's a leap of faith to believe the stuff in the Bible. It's a phrase originated by the Danish philosopher Kierkegaard.

If you are taking your moral stance from Biblical teaching you have to choose to presuppose the truth of God's existence in the first place.

I find it quite interesting that scientists especially are able to do this. There are outstanding modern scientists, including ones who work for NASA, who are able to maintain their religious belief alongside a scientific mindset that demands hypotheses, evidence, proof etc. in their daily work. I am guessing that they are mostly people who grew up in their faith, rather than converts, and who can somehow reconcile their cultural upbringing with scientific methodology.

I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising. Many people, including doctors and scientists , will discount evidence when it doesn't agree with their own ideology. You see it in things like intelligence and race, homeopathy, and whether sex is binary.

Top Bottom