Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
Natalie Elfique defects to Labour and Starmer welcomes her with open arms. Can we all just accept that the Labour party are Tories now? Not like Tories, not similar to Tories, not hyperbolically or metaphorically or allegorically Tories but actually literally Tories? I've certainly reached that point.

Seems odd. But she isn’t standing at the next election anyway so it’s only for a few months and then have probably worked out that any defection is probably a net benefit for Labour

albion

Guru
Guess Starmer bought into this., which is easy when you are near broke.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jun/25/natalie-elphicke-blueprint-social-housing-finance

A resurrection?

multitool

Shaman
Natalie Elfique defects to Labour and Starmer welcomes her with open arms. Can we all just accept that the Labour party are Tories now? Not like Tories, not similar to Tories, not hyperbolically or metaphorically or allegorically Tories but actually literally Tories? I've certainly reached that point.

Yawn.

She's standing down next election.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Seems odd. But she isn’t standing at the next election anyway so it’s only for a few months and then have probably worked out that any defection is probably a net benefit for Labour

I'd rather they tried to do something which would benefit the country if it's all the same.

Reactions: C R

winjim

They can’t do anything until they are in power.
By which time Elphic will be gone.

I don't care about Elphicke, I care what it tells me about Starmer's Labour. They're a shoo in for the next government, they could have told her to do one. But they didn't, because they are Tories.

winjim

Look, I know I shagged that bloke that time. OK a few blokes a few times. But I'm not gay. Not even slightly. Totally 100% straight. I only did it to piss off my ex wife. Bitch.

I miss my kids.

Ian H

Guru

multitool

Shaman
He welcomes Natalie Elphicke but not Diane Abbott. Funny old world

Welcome to politics.

It is undeniably unjust. But, as with so many things in politics it's a balanced view. I don't for one minute think that Starmer didn't hold his nose when Elphicke sat on his sofa, but at this point the argument could be made that if Labour intend to make reforms that will affect people's lives they need to guarantee a majority, and a sizeable one at that, otherwise they will be politically neutered.

The calculation over Elphicke may be correct or not, we'll never know, but there is an interesting point about the effect of sucking in a virulent Tory whose constituency sits at the heart of the sMaLl bOaTs

Last edited:

Have to say I was apoplectic when I heard this yesterday. Having spent 7 years in her constituency I have absolutely no time for the toxic waste of space that she is. I think her voting record speak for itself. Had I been Starmer I'd have enjoyed telling her to do one (which I did vehemently as she stood on my doorstep some years back).
Having said all that, as a piece of performative politics it was another opportunity to stick the knife into Starmer and sends a message to those right wing Tories that if the party is not right wing enough for Elphicke then maybe their votes are better elsewhere (Reform). Top Tory Tosser Jenrick was on the Toady program this morning saying that the voters want a more right wing agenda than Elphicke and Sunak (clearly he can't read, or is innumerate or speaks to very few selected voters). If her defection helps hasten a GE, then that's a positive....
As she's standing down at the next GE, then the damage is limited. She's lost all political credibility on the public stage (though the people of Dover still like her) and hopefully will disappear up her own fundament, but if she can do something for social housing under Labour then that's a bonus I guess.

I saw this in an article today in the graun where they were interviewing Dover locals - unbelievable lack of thinking which shows what we're up against in our 'democracy':
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-voters-on-natalie-elphicke-switching-parties

Alwyn Conway, 80, agreed that Elphicke had done “good work” in the area, and shared Hewer’s apprehension about a Labour government. While he felt it was a matter of “the devil and the deep blue sea”, he added that “with the Conservatives you know where you are. It might be out of the frying pan and into the fire”.
But Conway said he may still vote for Elphicke in the general election: “If Natalie’s changed over and she’s of the opinion of stopping boats, that could swing me in her favour. I vote for the person, not the party.”
His wife, Carol Conway, 79, said: “We don’t want Labour to run the country. It’s gone to the dogs. I’m shocked that she’s done that.”
The Conways were Labour voters for most of their lives before switching to the Conservatives. They are dissatisfied with the current government, but Carol is worried that Labour would be less tough on immigration. She is sceptical about politics more generally, adding: “Politicians aren’t in it for us any more, they’re in it for themselves.”

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom