The whiff is growing- £2k worth of football tickets for Mr Starmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
If he failed to declare this, can you just tell us what else he has also hidden which hasn't come to light yet?

If you have failed to understand the difference between a lie and an error can you just tell us what else you are hiding that you also don’t understand that hasn’t come to light yet?

The whole premise of your question is complete rubbish.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
The whole premise of your question is complete rubbish

Yes. So why are so many people continuing to pass 'Craig' fresh sticks with which to flog his dead horse?

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
You really don't read well do you?
If he didn't hide the donation, then your question is pointless.
If it was hidden, why would he un-hide it?

I'll ask you again. What benefit did he derive from declaring it late?
Q1. Yes I do thanks.
Q2. But he didn't want to declare the donation did he?
Q3. Because he got caught out.
Q4. We don't know, unless he thought he could get away with it, which he hasn't. Tax avoidance, didn't want the world to know some connections he may have, it is part of a bigger slush fund who knows? What we do know though is that he didn't declare it, he has told us that much.

This is the point though, you are happy to blindly accept any explanation from Labour politicians that contains the words 'honest mistake', but can't even begin to think that a Tory politician could also make an honest mistake!

icowden

Legendary Member
Q1. Yes I do thanks.
It doesn't show.
If he didn't want to declare it, why did he declare it of his own volition but late? If you want to hide it you wait until someone writes to the standards office to complain that you are failing to declare (a la Boris).
But he didn't. He declared it, just late.

Q4. We don't know, unless he thought he could get away with it, which he hasn't. Tax avoidance, didn't want the world to know some connections he may have, it is part of a bigger slush fund who knows? What we do know though is that he didn't declare it, he has told us that much.
Nope, he didn't. He declared it late. That isn't the same as not declaring it.

Returning your library books late means you get a fine for being late, and you try not to repeat the mistake.
Not returning your library books means you are a thief who has no intention of returning them until someone points out that you are a thief and you try to wriggle out of it.

Does this help?

This is the point though, you are happy to blindly accept any explanation from Labour politicians that contains the words 'honest mistake', but can't even begin to think that a Tory politician could also make an honest mistake!
Of course I can consider that a Tory Politician can make an honest mistake. Many have. Most of the current senior figures however are far more duplicitous than that.

Have you ever heard the story of the little boy that cried wolf? It doesn't mean that there isn't a wolf, it just means that because of overt past behaviour we tend not to jump straight up and go "there must be a wolf!". If you walk around screwing the public, feathering your own nest and shafting the economy, don't expect to be held in high regard.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It doesn't show.

If he didn't want to declare it, why did he declare it of his own volition but late? If you want to hide it you wait until someone writes to the standards office to complain that you are failing to declare (a la Boris).

But he didn't. He declared it, just late.

Nope, he didn't. He declared it late. That isn't the same as not declaring it.

Returning your library books late means you get a fine for being late, and you try not to repeat the mistake.
Not returning your library books means you are a thief who has no intention of returning them until someone points out that you are a thief and you try to wriggle out of it.

Does this help?

Of course I can consider that a Tory Politician can make an honest mistake. Many have. Most of the current senior figures however are far more duplicitous than that.

Have you ever heard the story of the little boy that cried wolf? It doesn't mean that there isn't a wolf, it just means that because of overt past behaviour we tend not to jump straight up and go "there must be a wolf!". If you walk around screwing the public, feathering your own nest and shafting the economy, don't expect to be held in high regard.

Isn't that just a trifle close to a stereotype?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I allways had you down as Doctors with a sandwich and cuppa,afternoon snooze and wake up just in time for Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun....

You seem to know the schedules better than I do. :whistle:

I never switch the TV on until the evening, and have even stopped watching the early evening news and luckily, even at my advanced age, don't need to nap in the day.

Although I do make an exception for the Tours if they on terrestrial TV in the day.

D

Deleted member 49

Although I do make an exception for the Tours if they on terrestrial TV in the day
You've not long to wait then....starts Friday on ITV4.

Q1. Yes I do thanks.

There's no evidence, in cases of either Starmer or Lammy, that they did not want to declare these financial interests. They, or those employed to do their 'admin', may have overlooked the requirement to report on a single occasion.

There's no evidence of wilful disregard as stated by the Commissioner when reporting upon Johnsons multiple failures to report.

The Register of Members' interests is about putting anything that might be thought to influence a Member's judgment when exercising his Parliamentary responsibilities. It's got diddly squat to do with taxation. The timescales and laws around that are completely different. A member seeking to evade tax by simply concealing income would need to do a lot more than just hide it from the Register.

On the other hand there's plenty of scope for tax 'advice' allowing him to legitimately Register it but then legally avoid taxation.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
Isn't that just a trifle close to a stereotype?
It is a little, but unfortunately the decent Tory politicians have been pretty much hounded out of the party. I had a lot of time for Rory Stewart, Anna Soubry was reasonable. Now we are left with Patel, Raab, Gove, Francois, Bone. These people are execrable at best. Untrustworthy eels willing to sell their souls to the highest bidder. Major might have been boring but at least you felt that he had some honesty. Even if you go back to Thatcher, whether you like her or not, I don't think there was any whiff of her feathering her own nest or trying to profit financially from her position.

The new breed of Tory Politician is only there to make money and cement their own position, protect their own interests.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
There's no evidence of wilful disregard as stated by the Commissioner when reporting upon Johnsons multiple failures to report.
How on earth do you know that, the Commissioner hasn't reported yet?
The Register of Members' interests is about putting anything that might be thought to influence a Member's judgment when exercising his Parliamentary responsibilities. It's got diddly squat to do with taxation. The timescales and laws around that are completely different. A member seeking to evade tax by simply concealing income would need to do a lot more than just hide it from the Register.
If he hasn't declared it to the Register, it could be logical to assume he didn't report it anywhere else. The processes to do both are probably linked.

I am not saying he is a master criminal, just intriguing how from one side you all say 'they are liars, of course he was fiddling, he didn't declare it', but from the other 'it was an honest mistake there is no evidence, he just forgot to declare it'

How on earth do you know that, the Commissioner hasn't reported yet?

If he hasn't declared it to the Register, it could be logical to assume he didn't report it anywhere else. The processes to do both are probably linked.

I am not saying he is a master criminal, just intriguing how from one side you all say 'they are liars, of course he was fiddling, he didn't declare it', but from the other 'it was an honest mistake there is no evidence, he just forgot to declare it'

As I said there is, as of now, no evidence. If the Commissioner finds evidence then the narrative changes.

Reporting freelance earnings to HMRC for MPs is the same as anyone else; probably need to add Self Assessment to PAYE. Reporting 'interests' for the Register is a different process for a different purpose.

I'm saying this was an oversight but Johnson's 'offending' during his time on the back benches was down to cavalier disregard; the Commissioner said as much in their report.

Top Bottom