Sport - what's the attraction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
Maybe we should have started by defining 'sport'.
1st pic: I have a number pinned on (& I won my age group)
I kind of regard it as a competitive endeavour of some sort.

And beyond

"I will get up you, you barstewarding big hill"
I did winch the Blue Hallett (no granny gear there) from Sidmouth over Peak Hill t'other day
Personally there's no trouncing to be done where cycling is concerned..
To be honest, I don't consider myself to be particularly competitive.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Maybe we should have started by defining 'sport'.

I kind of regard it as a competitive endeavour of some sort.

And beyond

"I will get up you, you barstewarding big hill"

Personally there's no trouncing to be done where cycling is concerned..
What about a good old farm show? Everybody loves a farm show. Biggest leek, silliest chicken, wooliest sheep, most disobedient dog, that sort of thing.

mudsticks

Squire
What about a good old farm show? Everybody loves a farm show. Biggest leek, silliest chicken, wooliest sheep, most disobedient dog, that sort of thing.

Those Blackberry Farm kids books are cute aren't they ?? :blush:

Poker's a competitive endeavour. Is that a sport? I think not. Darts? A big no for me. Formula 1? Snooker? Well, interestingly, both require stamina and fitness so that MAY count. I know Ronnie O'Sullivan runs for an athletic club and competes for them on the road and in cross-country events. Jensen Button was a top competitor at the Triathlon and he would say that enabled him to perform better behind the wheel.

The world would be a MUCH poorer place without competitive sport but of course, it was inevitable it would come about and be admired by most people on our planet. The Romans and ancient Greeks gave it to the world and we should thank them for it.

I might, at a push, thank them for olive oil, and underfloor heating .

Although I'm sure those things were around before the Empire.

But I'm not thanking them for organised sport, I don't think they always did it very sportingly, a bit more deathy really.

Anyhow sprouts are done .
And someone mentioned a drink..

mudsticks

Squire
1st pic: I have a number pinned on (& I won my age group)

I did winch the Blue Hallett (no granny gear there) from Sidmouth over Peak Hill t'other day

To be honest, I don't consider myself to be particularly competitive.

I'll ignore the granny reference ..

But going East or West..??

There's a helluva difference, in difficulty, as of course you well know..

:cycle:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm not. There is no formula for what people should like.
This is one of those weird discussions where there are no rights/wrongs and one approach is not intrinsically better than the other. As long as it hurts nobody, what is right for you is right.

Exactly. I think, there might even be a word for it.... let me think.... tolerance ?

Julia9054

Regular
Whilst that is true, I think different people react in very different ways to "sport". Quite often for the less neurotypical of us (I count myself in that number) find it frightening, difficult and upsetting. If you aren't the sort of child that can run up to a ball and kick it in the right direction (I still can't do that now at the age of 47 without a great deal of thought) you get excluded very easily - and quite often you really didn't want to be included in the first place.

As I said in t'other post, I think things have changed a lot and where you have a school that can be supportive of the students it makes a big difference. For me, it was something to be survived. I despised the shouting, the rough and tumble, the forced association with the bullies. I'd much rather have been in a warm library.

I still don't enjoy group sports. I like a cycle with a like minded group of people, preferably mixed and not too blokey.
But that's just me. Everyone is different and we should remember that.
Sport shouldn’t have to mean only team sports. Individual sports are important as well. Sport - when taught well in schools - teaches resilience and determination. Ditto music when well taught. You learn a skill, you practice it, you see results. Easier for a child to see those results in sport or music in the short term than in academic subjects but resilience and the ability to persevere transfers to those academic subjects and becomes a life skill.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
:okay:

Aha, the proper hardcore way..

Not that I'm at all competitive, not neither :whistle:

But if I can't get up there sat down all the way

Then I'm not fit enough.. :angel:

Yebbut....in the grandfather gear or not?

Ian H

Guru
:okay:

Aha, the proper hardcore way..

Not that I'm at all competitive, not neither :whistle:

But if I can't get up there sat down all the way

Then I'm not fit enough.. :angel:
Sat down all the way... umm... er... no.
But I have an excuse (or several if I'm pushed).

mudsticks

Squire
Sat down all the way... umm... er... no.
But I have an excuse (or several if I'm pushed).

Very sensible..

It's a dumb@rse rule of mine anyhow..
:cycle:

Looking forwards to getting out that way very soon.

Just a couple more days solid work to do...

spen666

Rather than derail a thread, I'll start another.

I find sport boring. Football particularly so.

Instead of having school sports days, the schools should have an afternoon of something, anything, that isn't sport.

Sport shouldn't be included at the end of news bulletins as it's a) boring and b) not news.

That's not to say that there aren't interesting aspects of sport. I just can't get worked up about sport itself.

That's my view - what do others think? Come on people, convince me otherwise.

This comes across as very nasty intolerant and dictatorial behaviour. It comes across as because you don't like sport, no one else should be able to enjoy it. I hope that is not how you intended to come across

its fine that you do not like sport, that is your choice.

Why however, you should want to prevent others having the pleasure of taking part in it or hearing about it, is not clear and comes across as dictatorial.

there is nothing in society we all agree on, sousing your logic, no one would be allowed to do anything at school and nothing would be allowed to be on telly.

Live and let live. The TV schedules or school curriculum do not revolve around you or your likes. Learn to live and let live.

I don't agree with Labour policies on many things ( ditto with Tory policies), so should they not be on TV either. I didn't like French at school, so shouldn't allow that. See how pathetic it is.

If you don't enjoy something, that is fine. Its your choice and your right as an adult to hold those views. It is not however your right to dictate or attempt to control what others enjoy or watch

I am hoping your opening post is a badly worded attempt to say you don't like sport and not an attempt to control what others watch or enjoy

OP
OP
LCpl Boiled Egg

LCpl Boiled Egg

Regular
This comes across as very nasty intolerant and dictatorial behaviour. It comes across as because you don't like sport, no one else should be able to enjoy it. I hope that is not how you intended to come across

its fine that you do not like sport, that is your choice.

Why however, you should want to prevent others having the pleasure of taking part in it or hearing about it, is not clear and comes across as dictatorial.

there is nothing in society we all agree on, sousing your logic, no one would be allowed to do anything at school and nothing would be allowed to be on telly.

Live and let live. The TV schedules or school curriculum do not revolve around you or your likes. Learn to live and let live.

I don't agree with Labour policies on many things ( ditto with Tory policies), so should they not be on TV either. I didn't like French at school, so shouldn't allow that. See how pathetic it is.

If you don't enjoy something, that is fine. Its your choice and your right as an adult to hold those views. It is not however your right to dictate or attempt to control what others enjoy or watch

I am hoping your opening post is a badly worded attempt to say you don't like sport and not an attempt to control what others watch or enjoy

Jesus, lighten up...

Yes, I'd like it if there was no sport at the end of a news bulletin. I'd like it if there was no such thing as a sports day at school.

Do I honestly think it could ever happen? No, of course not.

Do I want to control what other people do? No, of course not, that would be insane.

Top Bottom