Priti Nazi....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

What a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive.

Certain nanny would've taught Boris that one.....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

Priti Patel says preparation for next flight to Rwanda for asylum seekers ‘begins now’

Good morning. Late last night the government abandoned its plan to send its first flight to Rwanda carrying seven asylum seekers after last-minute intervention from the European court of human rights meant the seven people still scheduled to be on the plane got a legal reprieve. Originally the government planned to have many more asylum seekers on the flight, but by yesterday their removal orders had already been stayed.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Haven't caught up on all this thread, so this might have been mentioned before. Is anybody else thinking the point of this scheme might be less about off shore processing and actually about engineering an epic clash with the ECHR? Win or lose it's a useful, if expensive, vote winner if an election is looming. Tories setting out their 'national sovereignty' stall early on and leaving Labour to play catch up?

Haven't caught up on all this thread, so this might have been mentioned before. Is anybody else thinking the point of this scheme might be less about off shore processing and actually about engineering an epic clash with the ECHR? Win or lose it's a useful, if expensive, vote winner if an election is looming. Tories setting out their 'national sovereignty' stall early on and leaving Labour to play catch up?

Yes, they see it as a win either way, just like the stoked up transgender panic. Labour seem too scared to simply stand on a platform of common decency, despite that being the prevailing public mood.

See also Post in thread 'Starmer's vision quest' https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/starmers-vision-quest.32/post-25511

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
As you can imagine, I disagree that it's a panic as there are legitimate areas of conflict in rights.

I do think the left in general are giving the Tories an open goal at the minute though. On several issues they seem afraid to get off the fence and are thus alienating everybody. The danger of this is that it doesn't pick up votes from floating voters or former left voters either though. These voters won't commit until they get clarity.

D

Deleted member 49

I do think the left in general are giving the Tories an open goal at the minute though. On several issues they seem afraid to get off the fence and are thus alienating everybody. The danger of this is that it doesn't pick up votes from floating voters or former left voters either though. Th
Don't tell me your including Starmers Labour in that "left" :rolleyes:

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

It’s not just the point of the scheme, it’s the entire Tory basis of politics by division, pitting one side against another and encouraging conflict instead of negotiation. Seems to go down well with their National Front/Britain First core.

They are emboldened at every step, shameless, without conscience, compassion or consideration for anyone but themselves. They aren’t embarrassed by any of the scandals they cause, rather they thrive on them. I fear for England, I really do.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes, they see it as a win either way, just like the stoked up transgender panic. Labour seem too scared to simply stand on a platform of common decency, despite that being the prevailing public mood.

Sadly I am not sure you are right there. It was mentioned on the BBC news last night that polls showed majority of the public supported the scheme. I just checked on a recent poll in  i and it does confirm this. Sometimes while the news concentrates on the high profile demonstrations it can give a false impression about how strong the opposition to the plan really is.

One comment at the end of the  i article is quite concerning imo: "The polling therefore implies that the policy has had the impact on perceptions that the Government’s critics thought it may; that the plan will not necessarily stop migrants trying to cross the channel and that the cost of the plan does not present value for money. However, on the Government’s side, the proposal does have net support, and therefore it seems that having a plan, even with flaws, is better in public opinion terms than appearing to have no plan at all."

This is going to be a big issue at the next election that will divide the nation as much as Brexit. Support for the plan is not huge, and I am sure can be overcome, but it will require the opposition parties to not just point out the iniquity of this policy but to prepare a sound action plan for how they would deal with the contentious issue of cross-channel "illegal" immigration.

Top Bottom