Prince Andrew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Go on then - answer my question. Any particular answer will do!

It's a symbol, and an example, of the importance that this country seems to put on unearned privilege. It filters down and across society and permeates through institutions such as education via public schools. Abolishing the monarchy and its trappings would not solve the issue of unearned privilege overnight but would be a start in moving closer to an egalitarian society....if that is what you want.

mudsticks

Squire
What would it take? A biscuit?

What sort of biscuit you offering??

I'll have you know, I'm quite fussy in the baked goods dep

I have just had two cups of tea, and a bit of a sit down in the shade, so I might be able to work up some 'Offended of The Shires' right after I've got the maincrop carrots sown .

So your answer to:
- would it change anything about the Old Boys Network stuff?
is basically
- I want to get rid of them.

OK. Useful insight, thanks ...

An old boy network is an informal system in which wealthy men with similar social or educational background help each other in business or personal matters. Wikipedia

Will it eliminate the above? No, not entirely. This still operates in the USA (and other places) usually based on family or Alumni or sheer wealth or corruption.
But hereditary Lords can be members of the HOL which gives them a certain power privilege by birth which IMHO should be removed.

Which do you prefer btw, a big cute hairy Dutch goat or the native Primitive goat?

matticus

Guru
It's a symbol, and an example, of the importance that this country seems to put on unearned privilege. It filters down and across society and permeates through institutions such as education via public schools. Abolishing the monarchy and its trappings would not solve the issue of unearned privilege overnight but would be a start in moving closer to an egalitarian society....if that is what you want.

Sounds lovely!

But talk me through how it would happen. Just some possible next steps; I won't quote you later if events turn out differently :P

matticus

Guru
An old boy network is an informal system in which wealthy men with similar social or educational background help each other in business or personal matters. Wikipedia

Will it eliminate the above? No, not entirely. This still operates in the USA (and other places) usually based on family or Alumni or sheer wealth or corruption.

I don't see how it will even start to eliminate it. First point: you'd be removing a female head of state, and leaving power in the hands of a mainly male government.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I don't see how it will even start to eliminate it. First point: you'd be removing a female head of state, and leaving power in the hands of a mainly male government.

A purely decorative head of state with no actual power, as evidenced by her inaction over the unlawful prorogation of parliament. Lied to by her own PM and disrespected by the same man on the eve of her husband’s funeral, with zero repercussions. What is the point of this moarchy?

Garibaldi? (you don't see them much these days - an underrated biscuit IMHO ... )

Apt choice, given that Garibaldi is Italy’s most famous republican.

matticus

Guru

You don't say?!? Well I never ...

mudsticks

Squire
Garibaldi? (you don't see them much these days - an underrated biscuit IMHO ... )
Garibaldi was my favourite biscuit as a child .

Affectionately known as Squashed fly cemetery biscuits..

Still my go to travelling and camping breakfast biscuits.

Reasonably nutritious, doesn't break up into pieces easily..
A purely decorative head of state with no actual power, as evidenced by her inaction over the unlawful prorogation of parliament. Lied to by her own PM and disrespected by the same man on the eve of her husband’s funeral, with zero repercussions. What is the point of this moarchy?

Why after 70 years of her reign..

Do we still call it The United Kingdom..

Shouldn't it be a Queendom by now??

More outdated defaulting to the male patriachal nonsense.

The monarchy just holds up all these nonsense ideas of 'bloodlines' and divine rights..

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Sounds lovely!

But talk me through how it would happen. Just some possible next steps; I won't quote you later if events turn out differently :P

I am not sure it sounds lovely, just more fair.

I am sure that you are not obtuse and, if you actually thought about it rather than ask a continuous stream questions, you could work out how things could develop (and it is a gradual development rather than a fixed and defined series of steps) after the removal of symbols of privilege, but there again asking questions is more your style.

Life is too short to pander to blinkered, one-trick ponies.

Quote me as often as you wish. I admit to making mistakes as that is what sometimes happens when you provide answers, rather than continually asking questions.

Garibaldi was my favourite biscuit as a child .

Affectionately known as Squashed fly cemetery biscuits..

Still my go to travelling and camping breakfast biscuits.

Reasonably nutritious, doesn't break up into pieces easily..

Why after 70 years of her reign..

Do we still call it The United Kingdom..

Shouldn't it be a Queendom by now??

More outdated defaulting to the male patriachal nonsense.

The monarchy just holds up all these nonsense ideas of 'bloodlines' and divine rights..

My boring Garabaldi story....

In 1983, my heroes came to visit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOA1WVqkngM

For me, there was only ONE to watch, the South African Shaun Thompson (8m 10s into the video) - it's his footage on the Old spice advert of old.
As kids on holiday in Cornwall ,my Dad would take me to see the surf-movies that would tour the village halls of Devon and Cornwall where we'd watch the stars of the day, Thomson, Mark 'wounded Gull' Richards, Gerry Lopez, riding the breaks of Hawaii, Bali, South Africa, Australia. Shaun Thompson was my hero, with his fluid effortless style.
And then in 1983 with my mates, a camera with telephoto lens, and a packet of Garibaldis, I was there on Fistral beach watching the competition and taking photos.
At one point we were walking along the beach and there standing on his own was Shaun, just out of the water after a practice on our puny Cornish waves. Bold as brass my mate Reggie strolled right-up and started chatting to him and the rest of us followed.
In my hand was the packet of Garabaldis which I duly shared with my hero as we chatted, on 'my' beach in the summer of 83.

Childhood dreams that last a lifetime are made in these moments....

Last edited:

Mugshot

Über Member
I do like the "Give me an extraordinarily detailed answer to this really rather complicated situation or problem, even if it involves complex economic forecasts, ages old institutions, and is multifaceted and nuanced in its nature. Show your workings out and make accurate predictions for future events", that get slung in on certain threads.

Top Bottom