Prince Andrew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
'Entitled ' why the resentment, would you want to be born into that life?

Nobody should be born into that life.

Crack on. They all love you in Scotland.

20220613_233508.jpg

matticus

Guru
The institution itself however, is an undemocratic anachronism, which perpetuates unearned deference, and hierachical and hereditary structures which tends to promote keeping power, and wealth in the hands of the few.

Hence the disproportionate number of 'Old Etonions' etc in government.

Who have generally got there through the 'old boys network'

Do you think disbanding the monarchy would reduce the Old Boys Network hold on our government? Please explain why.

Do you think disbanding the monarchy would reduce the Old Boys Network hold on our government? Please explain why.

I don't in the short-term. But disbanding the monarchy, would still be a good start....
Money speaks loudest these days. Nadine said so....

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
I don't in the short-term. But disbanding the monarchy, would still be a good start....
The start of what?
(Just the start of your wish-list?!?)

The only immediate gain would be savings from not paying their wages: where do you think that money will end up?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The start of what?

The only immediate gain would be savings from not paying their wages: where do you think that money will end up?

It’s all about symbols.

To some the Royal Family is a symbol of what is good about this country, to others it is a symbol of what is bad.

Imo it is, to quote a great philosopher, an inverted pyramid of piffle, with unearned privilege spreading down from the top like piss on a urinal basin.

Getting rid of the royal family would not end privilege and the old boys network, as that exists in virtually every society, but would get rid of the greatest symbol of it.

The start of what?

I'm not advocating putting them up against the wall, but I would like to see the end of the hereditary monarchy* and other hereditary privileges/advantages.
The world has moved-on since the medieval age, though the Tories and their donors are trying their best to drag us back there.
It's not really an economics question.

*This statement is usually followed by the question - 'What do you replace them with as head of state, a President?' to which my answer is nothing or if necessary a ceremonial goat...the goat idea am really warming to....

mudsticks

Squire

On its own, of course not.

If I had the energy or inclination to do so, i might find myself insulted that you'd suppose my thinking to be that simplistic.

There are plenty of other things that need to be done to make our society more meritocratic, and truly democratic, such as doing away with fptp.

But keeping hold of the monarchy sends a very powerful message that we like these systems of born into privelege and hierachy.

We approve of power and wealth being in the hands of a select few .

Mainly selected through birth, and patronage

mudsticks

Squire
I'm not advocating putting them up against the wall, but I would like to see the end of the hereditary monarchy* and other hereditary privileges/advantages.
The world has moved-on since the medieval age, though the Tories and their donors are trying their best to drag us back there.
It's not really an economics question.

*This statement is usually followed by the question - 'What do you replace them with as head of state, a President?' to which my answer is nothing or if necessary a ceremonial goat...the goat idea am really warming to....
This is why I did my my final dissertation on low impact, goat keeping..

It's all working up to the point where I can TAKE OVER THE WORLD.!!!

With my evil gang of domineering nannies..

Mwhahahahaha.!!!!

Etc etc.

Top Bottom