Political language. What helps, what doesnt ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Regular
It's the name of the Aztec god of spring, mate. Just the same as if someone's posting name was Thor or Neptune.
Well, to spell out the obvious that is implicit in your post, in some people's eyes, it won't be just the same, though, will it. Because in some people's eyes, I suspect Thor is a white god. Neptune may be a bit dodgy, what with possibly being from an EU country and all that, but he's probably still basically white. Whereas Xipe Totec is almost certainly dark skinned, with a name like that. That means he's probably an immigrant to boot (because some people assume that anyone with a dark skin and in a vaguely exotic profession must be an immigrant, right...) So I think it is right and proper (in some people's eyes) that Xipe Totec should immediately be subject to a hostile environment.

Plus, when presented with evidence of our own ignorance, some people think, great, a chance to learn something new, and other people get all defensive and look for reasons to justify why the knowledge in question is irrelevant.

swansonj

Regular
If you imagine that there aren't people who would contact your employers, or spread rumours about you on Facebook, or contact your kids, because you offended them on a cycling forum, I think you are all very much mistaken.
I find it a useful yardstick: only ever post things I could defend to my employer (when I had one) if someone made that connection.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I find it a useful yardstick: only ever post things I could defend to my employer (when I had one) if someone made that connection.

Which of course means posting 'carte blanche' if one is self employed..:evil:

Except quite naturally it doesn't..

I've got hundreds of 'employers'..

It's just they're known as customers or clients..

Thankfully, they're well across my position on most matters, both social and political ..

Not to mention the 'outspokeness'.

In fact it's quite possibly why the majority are customers, and or clients in the first place :smile:

But it still doesn't protect one from random people, who for whatever reason want to make trouble for us, online.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I remember a couple of very sweet people here early on warning me that my (tractor) number plate was showing, in a photo.
So I should be careful, as there had even been a few stalking, and harassment type issues here on CC.

As it happens that tractor hasn't been road registered for a long time, so no problem.

But just goes to show..

Even on a fluffy little cycling forum..

There's potential for a few dodgy ones...

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Plus, when presented with evidence of our own ignorance, some people think, great, a chance to learn something new, and other people get all defensive and look for reasons to justify why the knowledge in question is irrelevant.

On the other hand.

Maybe Google hasn't reached the East Midlands just yet. ??

And it's a tad early for the libraries to be open.

Especially with the cut backs and all.. :sad:

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Well, we are a small group aren't we? Maybe less than 20 posters/occupants on this wild west bit of the forum,

We might be few in number but we are visible to the entire world. Anybody can access this forum, without even joining so, no, I wouldn’t be prepared to use my real identity.

there are lots of calls that removing anonymity would make people safer and make people more accountable,

There are calls but is there any evidence that this would be the case?
How does posting under my true identity improve my safety? How does it make me more accountable to other forum members?

why wouldn't we feel safer and be less abusive?

I don’t feel unsafe with the current setup and I wouldn’t categorise my posting style towards others as abusive. I think some people might be confusing abuse with criticism.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
We've gone down quite a rabbit hole here...

I use my real first name and initials of my surname, although the 'M' bit is now gone, but there's already an 'AndyR'. I've hunted around Google, and the dark web for me and there's nothing of any value.

In any case, your username on any forum or other form of social media is irrelevant. If someone wants to find you, they will.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

Yes, but if someone did complain to your employer and you spent the next 3 months under investigation for a comment you posted on here, how would you feel? Or if the police interviewed you because someone said your post was a hate crime? Even if the outcome was that there were no grounds for dismissal or prosecution the stress would be huge.

It's possible to have incidents recorded against your name by the police without you even knowing, and your posts can be recorded as a hate crime even if no offence was committed. Presumably that would come up in a search if you applied for a job.

https://www.faircop.org.uk/case-studies/harry-miller/

We all think 'If it's true, you've nothing to be worried about' but the stress would be crushing, nevermind solicitors costs - which is why people do it. It's as a warning to others to not speak out or they'll get the same. Who wants to be on the receiving end of the stuff JK Rowling got?

The process is the punishment.

We've gone down quite a rabbit hole here...

I use my real first name and initials of my surname, although the 'M' bit is now gone, but there's already an 'AndyR'. I've hunted around Google, and the dark web for me and there's nothing of any value.

In any case, your username on any forum or other form of social media is irrelevant. If someone wants to find you, they will.

I use the nickname I received when I was an 10 year old at my boxing club. When I finished, I always had a bag of cookies and a small bottle of milk. I had a blue club t-shirt as well so I was given that name. ^_^

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Whereas Xipe Totec is almost certainly dark skinned, with a name like that.
A moot point - as the translation of his name suggests, his skin tends to be notable by its, erm, absence. That's 'his' skin specifically - Xipe Totec is typically portrayed wearing the skins of sacrifices, symbolising death & rebirth in the annual seasonal cycle. The priests of his cult did likewise, donning the flayed skins of sacrifices who were selected the previous year and honoured by living as gods themselves, until the day they gave their lives to renew the cycle.

That means he's probably an immigrant to boot (because some people assume that anyone with a dark skin and in a vaguely exotic profession must be an immigrant, right...) So I think it is right and proper (in some people's eyes) that Xipe Totec should immediately be subject to a hostile environment.
Another debatable point because the Mexica & Nahua people who honoured Xipe Totec (and innumerable other terrifying deities with unpronounceable names) could not conceptualise a world beyond the one they knew - the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan was known as In Cem Anahuac Yoyotli - or 'The Heart Of The One World'. Ironically this was why they were initially unable to comprehend the true nature of their own illegal immigrants when they arrived in 1519, bringing their own hostile environment of conquest, plunder, exploitation, disease, mass-murder & forced conversion to Christianity on pain of torture and death.

And to think some of us moan about Brexit... :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 49

A moot point - as the translation of his name suggests, his skin tends to be notable by its, erm, absence. That's 'his' skin specifically - Xipe Totec is typically portrayed wearing the skins of sacrifices, symbolising death & rebirth in the annual seasonal cycle. The priests of his cult did likewise, donning the flayed skins of sacrifices who were selected the previous year and honoured by living as gods themselves, until the day they gave their lives to renew the cycle.

Another debatable point because the Mexica & Nahua people who honoured Xipe Totec (and innumerable other terrifying deities with unpronounceable names) could not conceptualise a world beyond the one they knew - the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan was known as In Cem Anahuac Yoyotli - or 'The Heart Of The One World'. Ironically this was why they were initially unable to comprehend the true nature of their own illegal immigrants when they arrived in 1519, bringing their own hostile environment of conquest, plunder, exploitation, disease, mass-murder & forced conversion to Christianity on pain of torture and death.

And to think some of us moan about Brexit... :rolleyes:
There's me thinking you was into computer gaming 😄

Top Bottom