Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I try to buy organic and nearest first on environmental grounds.
Have boycotted Sainsbury's and Tesco for many years, thanks.

What's the NFU position on this?

The NFU position on all this is pretty feeble because they still have one and a half feet in the agribusiness as usual camp, and don't want to upset the big boys who have been sucking up CAP payments up til now.

And who now wish to transfer to receiving payment for a bit of fluffy rewilding on their vast acreages.

And maybe even accepting GM and other false solution technologies to 'feed us' - once again consolidating power in the extractive aggrobusiness sector.

However those of us in the agroecological farming and food sovereignty scene believe we need to shift to far more mixed, biodiverse, and smaller human scaled, short supply chain agriculture.

(Like what I do)

The kind of agriculture that has been feeding the majority of the world up until now, and has proved itself resilient throughout covid, and even largely throughout brexit shocks too.

D

Deleted member 49

No. But I would even take proper Tories over the whatever it is we've got in government right now masquerading as the Tory party. That's how bad things are.
I did vote Lib Dem last time mainly because of Brexit. Had Brexit not been a factor I still would have voted Lib Dem.
Proper Tories...there all the same to me.
Yet you voted Lib Dem last time even though they hadn't a chance of getting in.Your then trying to tell me that by not voting Labour I'm letting the Tories in ?
You could say you got what you voted for 🙄

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Proper Tories...there all the same to me.
Yet you voted Lib Dem last time even though they hadn't a chance of getting in.Your then trying to tell me that by not voting Labour I'm letting the Tories in ?
You could say you got what you voted for 🙄
The Lib Dem candidate had every chance of winning in my constituency. She only lost by about seven hundred votes.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
... without class warfare is merely gardening. :sad:
Agroecological farming, properly defined holds a very strong social justice element.

Including the right to good food, and land justice.

The productive agriculture, ecology, and human element are all equally important, by our definition.

It's interesting that mainstream ag has tried to co opt the term agroecological.

As they think of it as a bit organic, but without the tricksy certification.
And are trying to rebrand themselves with it.

But we're not giving up the term that easily.

For a start their preferred long supply food chains.

Which incorporate supermarkets, cannot really ever be part of a just and sustainable food web..
Or at least not in their present form.

Anyhoo up I've been conferencing all this a bit intensely for the last three days..

So time for a beer methinks..

D

Deleted member 49

The Lib Dem candidate had every chance of winning in my constituency. She only lost by about seven hundred votes.
Surely even you see the irony in a Lib Dem voter telling me to vote Labour to get rid of the Tories ffs....do remind me again what happened to the LibDems 🙄
A absolute joke of a party.

D

Deleted member 49

Remind me again what happened to Labour, especially north of the border? Starmer's recent pronouncements went down like a lead balloon.
I think your preaching to the wrong person ?

winjim

Surely even you see the irony in a Lib Dem voter telling me to vote Labour to get rid of the Tories ffs....do remind me again what happened to the LibDems 🙄
To me it's a pretty stark binary choice. Tories or notTories. I don't know what the situation is where you live but I would urge everyone to vote for the notTory who has the best chance of beating the Tory in your constituency.

If you want to talk about joke parties we could discuss what happened in my constituency between 2017 and 2019...

D

Deleted member 49

To me it's a pretty stark binary choice. Tories or notTories. I don't know what the situation is where you live but I would urge everyone to vote for the notTory who has the best chance of beating the Tory in your constituency.

If you want to talk about joke parties we could discuss what happened in my constituency between 2017 and 2019...
That's all well and good for you...but as I've told you many times its not how I vote.I won't vote for someone just because there the least worst option !
The party that gave us austerity from 2010 - 2015 and trebled tuition fees or
LIB DEMS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN WIN" and the "progressive alliance" people will cheer "tactical voting" and labour will lose...
Nah not for me sorry 😁

If you live in Abingdon and a few other constituencies, the Lib Dems ARE THE ONLY OPPOSITION to the Tories. Voting Labour rather than LD will give you Tories....

Sometimes pragmatism rather than principle gets you closer to where you want to be....that's the realpolitik.

winjim

I agree but we deserve a better choice than that. I wish I knew how to get what we deserve. You only have to look to the US to see the disappointments that arise from a Trump-notTrump choice.
Some form of PR I suppose but first we need a strong showing in parliament from parties who support it. Which means Lib Dems.

It's a weird feeling in my constituency in that I have the chance to vote for a local candidate who I know, like and trust, for a party I broadly support and who has a reasonable chance of winning. That should be the norm but it feels like privilege.

D

Deleted member 49

Some form of PR I suppose but first we need a strong showing in parliament from parties who support it. Which means Lib Dems.

It's a weird feeling in my constituency in that I have the chance to vote for a local candidate who I know, like and trust, for a party I broadly support and who has a reasonable chance of winning. That should be the norm but it feels like privilege.
So that's good for you but for someone like me...asking me to vote LibDem lol...not going to happen.

Top Bottom