Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

I voted Labour when the Lib Dems broke their tuition fees promise so I have sympathy for your position. But a lot's happened since then.
Your more forgiving than me....my partner says "you've got a heart like a swinging brick" !
I think she said it in jest 😁

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Your more forgiving than me....my partner says "you've got a heart like a swinging brick" !
I think she said it in jest 😁
I wouldn't have voted for a post Iraq war Blair or Brown Labour and I wouldn't have voted for a post tuition fees Clegg Lib Dems. But neither of those parties are under those leaderships any more.

D

Deleted member 49

I wouldn't have voted for a post Iraq war Blair or Brown Labour and I wouldn't have voted for a post tuition fees Clegg Lib Dems. But neither of those parties are under those leaderships any more.
Swinson ? Lol...I'd give up ! We are nowhere near a election.Ive never tactically voted before and seeing what's about at the moment I'm not likely to anytime soon.
Who knows maybe Starmer won't even be leader by then ?
(said with enthusiasm)

Vote for the party or candidate that best matches your own views, accepting that nothing will be an exact fit.

Or vote for the party or candidate most likely to keep your least appealing option out of power.

Or don’t vote, or spoil your ballot (which has the same effect).

What other options are there?

Reactions: mjr

winjim

Swinson ? Lol...I'd give up ! We are nowhere near a election.Ive never tactically voted before and seeing what's about at the moment I'm not likely to anytime soon.
Who knows maybe Starmer won't even be leader by then ?
(said with enthusiasm)
Swinson wasn't a factor as she was never going to get near number 10. But yeah, there's not going to be an election for a couple of years so we'll have to see what happens between now and then. I don't expect to change my voting intention (or my advice to others) but I can't rule it out.

D

Deleted member 49

Vote for the party or candidate that best matches your own views, accepting that nothing will be an exact fit.

Or vote for the party or candidate most likely to keep your least appealing option out of power.

I personally won't vote for a political party just because they are not another political party or just so you can get power.I vote because the party aligns with my own beliefs and principles..

I won't vote Labour under Starmer because it no longer aligns with my beliefs and principles
Simple ?

winjim

Vote for a smaller party as a protest against two party hegemony. Vote for a party which will campaign for the electoral reform required to enable the election of your preferred candidate. Vote to protest or support a specific issue, be it local, national or global.

swansonj

Regular
I personally won't vote for a political party just because they are not another political party or just so you can get power.I vote because the party aligns with my own beliefs and principles..

I won't vote Labour under Starmer because it no longer aligns with my beliefs and principles
Simple ?
Simple.
Principled.
And incredibly dangerous😀

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Simple.
Principled.
And incredibly dangerous😀

'Tactical' voting when not organised or promoted in bad faith can also be dangerous though - see Kensington or Stroud in 2019. Labour has a problem with what's often called 'Labourism', but the Lib Dems have a problem with, well... lying. They have managed successfully to associate themselves with the whole idea of tactical voting, but in many cases a vote for Labour is the tactical vote.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Umm

I know all the PP stuff is very relevant in so many ways but this is supposed to be a brexit thread , consequences, how's it going.?? etc etc..

Any chance you could start another thread of the glories, or shortcoming of our politicians more generally ??

Such as like this one here ...

The brexit thread has majorly swerved away from brexit consequences, and now seems to be mainly about debating the various merits or otherwise of the parties themselves..

Could we possibly post political stuff that isn't really brexit related elsewhere..??

Here even??

TIA

fwiw, in our constituency we nearly ( but not quite :sad:) toppled our 'Parachuted in donkey with a blue rosette' candidate, with a non party affiliated Green leaning Independent alternative - we did try very hard and came pretty close.

This has been a safe Tory seat since the Middle Jurassic Period- our present incumbent is predictably feeble and likes nothing more than toeing the party line.

Electoral reform is really what we really need imo - but i don't know how we effect that .

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Umm

I know all the PP stuff is very relevant in so many ways but this is supposed to be a brexit thread , consequences, how's it going.?? etc etc..

Any chance you could start another thread of the glories, or shortcoming of our politicians more generally ??

Such as like this one here ...

fwiw, in our constituency we nearly ( but not quite :sad:) toppled our 'Parachuted in donkey with a blue rosette' candidate, with a non party affiliated Green leaning Independent alternative - we did try very hard and came pretty close.

This has been a safe Tory seat since the Middle Jurassic Period- our present incumbent is predictably feeble and likes nothing more than toeing the party line.

Electoral reform is really what we really need imo - but i don't know how we effect that .

OK that's me told - I'll bang on over there instead. Personally I don't mind Major Thread Drift arising from discussion, but I know a tidier forum suits a lot of folk better.

D

Deleted member 49

Top Bottom