Kwasi economics....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I'll cut Walton a bit of slack cos Julie Andrews is from there, and there used to be a good jazz club down the road at Shepperton. But don't push it - you lot put Dominic Raab in parliament.

So it's nice really but you don't like Tories and I haven't a clue what a w*nkpanzer is?

I know a Panzer was a German tank and I know what having a w*nk means but?

Mugshot

Über Member
It’s so simple when you look at things with fresh eyes. If you’re feeling the pinch all you need to do is stop spending and get a better job or renegotiate your pension.

View: https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1576551319963213829?s=21&t=V0rUYxZ593usoHYq2at_1Q

Aside from it being rather obviously utter nonsense that everyone can go out and get higher paid jobs, isn't saying that people will need higher paid jobs in order to pay their energy bills the same as saying that the minimum wage is too low?

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I have this naive view that if you cut benefits during a period of high inflation, you only reduce disposable income. Hardly the conditions to attract investment, which the super-rich weren't doing anyway.

icowden

Legendary Member
Brexit all over again. How did Odey do?

dunno - he made 200 million out of Brexit, so I imagine he's made at least the same again.

Beebo

Veteran
There appears to be a U turn coming for the 45p rate cut.

Do we commend the government for listening to people and acting fast. Or do we just believe they are totally out of their depth and buckled to the weight of public opinion.

A staggering admission that they got it wrong and has cost huge sums of money in the markets. It really should be a resignation issue.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
There appears to be a U turn coming for the 45p rate cut.

Do we commend the government for listening to people and acting fast. Or do we just believe they are totally out of their depth and buckled to the weight of public opinion.

A staggering admission that they got it wrong and has cost huge sums of money in the markets. It really should be a resignation issue.

We should shoot first and ask questions later, I reckon.

It's good news, it was crippling the party, it destabilised the markets so beloved of Tory investors, Kwarteng should/must go.
A u-turn that massively undermines Toxic Truss....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

Kwasi Kwarteng's speech - snap verdict​

It is hard to think of a precedent for a chancellor delivering a party conference speech with absolutely no announcement of any kind in it. That speech was a news desert, devoid of anything new in terms of policy – or even language that move the argument into new terrain. I’m guessing, but I suspect perhaps there was an announcement pencilled in - that Liz Truss has pilfered it for her own speech on Wednesday. That would, at least, be logical; collectively they may have decided that there was no point wasting an announcement today, when the news cycle is dominated by the U-turn. The alternative – that Kwarteng just turned up with nothing to say – seems less likely.

Instead, all we got was a summary of the economic approach set out by Liz Truss during the Tory leadership campaign, and by Kwarteng in his mini-budget statement. But Kwarteng did not make it sound any more credible today than it has done in the past. He claimed the Conservative party had reversed “the story of national decline” when it came into office in 2010 – while at the same time explaining how the Truss government was having to reverse misakes made by the Tories over the past 12 years.

If the content was feeble, the delivery was even worse. Kwarteng sounded nervous, and he was rushing through it as if he could not wait to be off. He did not even seem to have worked out where the applause lines were meant to come.

Earlier I said the challenge facing Kwarteng with this speech was to show that he still has authority as a chancellor. (See 3.05pm.) It didn’t. If anything, it will have made his plight even worse.

Top Bottom