The economics of staying fed....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
The local Morrisons;

Half an aisle of fruit and veg swaddled in plastic. Half an aisle of dyed animal flesh swaddled in plastic. Some aisles of booze. An aisle of salt and fat in combination. An aisle of sugar and fat. An aisle of sugar, salt and fat. Bottles of sugar. Jars of fat. Tubs of salt.

Outside acres of concrete providing 'free' parking: non-driving customers invisibly subsidising drivers.

I'm all lost in the supermarket...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZw23sWlyG0

Sounds like booze for me then.

6B75470F-E7E7-4287-A3A8-AE9CAAAB1675.jpeg

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I'm truly shocked to learn that Jack Monroe (probably) earns more than the PM and takes money of (sic) some of the most vulnerable people in society and makes money on (sic) the back of people.

View: https://twitter.com/thereclaimparty/status/1525126444090810368

The more views, the more Jack will (hopefully) be able to sting these two ******** for in the inevitable libel case.

There are lots of us willing to fund their case, I'm sure. Anderson had a bit of a car crash segment on BH this morning, arrogant tosser that he is.

mudsticks

Squire
I'm 100% behind Jack and their campaign to highlight these issues of want, deprivation, hunger, poor nutrition, the lack of dignity of having to use food banks and rely on the 'charity' of others even to stay moderately fed.

I applaud them freely giving time to guide people through recipes that can be made on a bootstrap budget.
And the efforts of everyone else campaigning, and acting on these issues

We store up all sorts of costs to our society, and individuals by not prioritising good nutritious food availability for all, from the get go, we are literally made of what we eat..

Good food policy should be a 'Public Good..
Like health and education are ..

Even in purely fiscal terms (if all you care about is government spending, rather than human welfare) a poorly fed society leads to all kinds of costly outcomes.

Nutritious food availability feeds into those other 'public goods' such as health and education and good job creation, but that fact is still barely recognised in policy circles .

The recent National Food Strategy went some way to recognising all this.
But fell short on proposing that food should be prioritised, governmentally in the way that health and education are.

Of course there all kinds of calls of 'nanny state' if we try to do something about the diets of our population.

But we've got ourselves into a truly dire situation, through ignoring it all, and hoping that 'the market' will sort all this.
The unregulated market has clearly failed at feeding people well

But I think it's also important to highlight that it's not the 'price of food' that is the problem, per se.

It's a toxic combination of the rising price of everything else.
Combined with cuts to welfare, and reductions to the most valuable services that should be part of a mature society.that cares about its population.

But food is the variable cost that we make decisions about on on a week by week, day by day basis.

Costs of housing energy , and other essential 'commodities' are wholly dictated from outside, we don't really get to choose how much rent or mortgage we pay.
We can't go to a 'rent bank' or an 'electricity bank'

So spend on food becomes squeezed, and marginalised even more, for the already struggling..
And not everyone, has the time, skills or even physical facilities to make budget meals from scratch.

If you look at the price of food and farm gate returns these have actually gone down year on year.

Of course most people see 'cheap food' as a 'good thing'.

Because they don't see poorer nutrition, lower environmental and welfare standards, poorer institutional.food, low wages for workers, exploited labour forces, and pinched incomes for farmers and growers, many of whom are struggling to continue, especially in the face of brexit.

The solutions are many and various.
Some are already being enacted at the grassroots by individuals like Jack, some by organisations such as The Tussel Trust, Sustain, agroecological farmers organisations and lots more.

In the short term we need to get more money into the pockets of people who can't afford to eat well, and who are relying on cheaper less nutritious food.

In the medium, to longer term we need to adjust our food system so as to prioritise better eating and diets, and good farming and food production, availability of land to grow food, fair returns for producers while we're about it.

The solutions are already there, the problems have been known for years, many of us are already trying to 'be the change' but governments need to get on board too.

That last part is, is the piece of of the puzzle that makes me feel a bit less ioptimistic.

But having people like Jack willing to stick their head above the parapet, and stir things up, draw attention really helps to highlight these issues..

And helps all of us who are working in this field.

Thanks Jack 👍🏼💃💚💜🍲

Top Bottom