Jubilee - celebrate, ignore or bemoan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And we'll call you our useful idiot.

...and you can call me aaaaal...call me Al....

FWIW, am no Royalist, and would be happy to see a hereditary head of state removed as soon as possible as well as all the hangers on. Actually, I'm not sure why we have a head of state at all.

Having said that, I think Lizzie took-up the mantle at a young age, ran with it with commitment, and in all fairness within the constraints she operates, superficially barely put a foot wrong. The word 'duty' will be used a lot and I don't think she can be faulted for shirking her responsibility. Her family has been a train-wreck and maybe that also goes with the territory.

To have been a respected head of state for as long as she has seems worthy of celebration, so the whole Jubbly Party thing is OK as far as I'm concerned for those into that sort of thing - I reckon we are primarily a Royalist population.
Lots of older people will be happy, some people might even meet their neighbours, booze, food, flag and tut sales will be up, the papers will have a field day sharing the love and Boris will make an arse of himself probs.

Let those that want, have their day.
The Royal family troubles me far less than the malevolent shoot show that's elected to govern-us....

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yeah, losing your dad at 25 and being thrown into being the monarch before you'd really built a life of your own isn't something I envy. If we were starting from scratch I wouldn't vote for a monarchy but it's something most people still seem to like so I don't get too worked up about it.

In the UK I sometimes think having a monarch to revere stops us getting too enamoured of our politicians. We don't hold them in anything like the esteem they do in some other countries, especially the US. I can't think of a UK prime minister who has been lionised like Trump or Obama. Even the uncritical reverence given to Churchill seems like it came more after the war than at the time. Maybe having a monarch gives us a healthy disregard for our political leaders, which is perhaps part of why the UK doesn't develop into the extremism you see elsewhere. We aren't looking for a unifying saviour figure because we've got the Queen, bless her....

Last edited:

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Very similar to this forum.;)

Nah mate, there's only about four of you them!

And we'll call you our useful idiot.

In what way useful?

For my part, I don't think I'll really notice the forthcoming Festival Of Fawning And Grovelling, other than anticipating a slight intensification of the sort of 'there's-no-lamppost-high-enough' feeling that I have about that shower of grotesque, functionless parasites anyway.

It will be interesting to see how long they wait after the celebrations before they announce that the dessicated old crone's dead.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Street party. Chance to close the road and see what the place actually looks like without cars all over the pavements. And then get pissed in the sunshine with our neighbours.

Maybe. Depends how good a party it is. Kids'll probably get bored and want to go to the playground or play Minecraft or something.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
'There's no lamppost high enough...' Does that include the kids? Or just the ones on the Royal List?

So literal... :rolleyes:

Now all of a sudden I feel a Jubilee cover version coming on - all together now:

"Ain't no lamp-post high enough..."

mudsticks

Squire
I had to look up when it was..

Will be indulging in 'celebratory' stravaiging Highlands and Islands of some sort, sure Queenie would approve.

Passing back through Glasgow that weekend so if there's any high jinks on offer, I might partake .

Don't get the fascination that the Royal family hold for some people in this country.

Props up the same old undemocratic, unmeritocratic hierarchical structures that don't help anyone, who isn't already priveleged.

But strangely some seem to love a bit of 'cap doffing'

And financed by us, with large tracts of land passed down through hereditary system, inaccessible to the hoi polloi .

A ceremonial goat could just as well have a symbolic lunch with assorted visitors .

But there you go..

If people want to have a get together with their neighbours, over an extra long weekend, well thats nice isn't it..

Top Bottom