Jubilee - celebrate, ignore or bemoan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Depends on what she’s symbolising. She doesn’t represent me or my values.

Tbf you vote for politicians and union leaders to represent you, not queens or kings.

Difficult to represent the values of 70 million different people.

Boris doesn't represent my values, but, I suppose, at least my my vote may help to get rid of him, and replace him with someone else who probably also doesn't represent my values.

Tbf you vote for politicians and union leaders to represent you, not queens or kings.

Difficult to represent the values of 70 million different people.

Boris doesn't represent my values, but, I suppose, at least my my vote may help to get rid of him, and replace him with someone else who probably also doesn't represent my values.

It’s not the person I object to, it’s the entire concept of a whole extended family having wealth, privilege and most importantly influence solely because of an accident of ancestry.

I do think there are some shared values held by most of the 70 million, in fact by most people throughout the world. I don’t think they are exemplified by an absurdly rich and consequently dysfunctional family such as we currently have. It’s the system that makes them the way they are.

I’m not joking when I say we should have a goat as head of state instead. Or maybe a tree. I like trees.

Ian H

Guru
It’s not the person I object to, it’s the entire concept of a whole extended family having wealth, privilege and most importantly influence solely because of an accident of ancestry.

I do think there are some shared values held by most of the 70 million, in fact by most people throughout the world. I don’t think they are exemplified by an absurdly rich and consequently dysfunctional family such as we currently have. It’s the system that makes them the way they are.

I’m not joking when I say we should have a goat as head of state instead. Or maybe a tree. I like trees.

The notion that the monarch acts as some kind of final check on the government's power has rather been disproved by (e.g.) the Queen acceding to the illegal prorogation of parliament. Which would appear to leave the prime minister's duty to consult the monarch as mere pantomime, devoid of any meaning or significance.

mudsticks

Squire

I've long been an advocate of the goat..

Failing that an alternating grandma /grandpa figure selected by popular yearly (online ) vote like the 'talent' shows..

Nominate, someone you think 'deserves' it..

One person, plus their plus one ..

To do the lunches, the openings, the waving , and being waved at..

One house, two people 'looked after' and driven about the place to immensely dull 'symbolic' events .
I expect after a year of it, they'd be glad to sink back into obscurity..

Rusty Nails

Country Member

I am a republican in principle, but it is not something I will be manning the barricades over just yet as there are a few things that are much more problematic at the moment.
In terms of wealth the Royal Family are no longer near the top of the UK tree, where we now have 177 billionaires and the Queen is not as influential as Kim Kardashian, Jurgen Klopp or Nigel Farage.
One day we will no longer have a monarchy but I really doubt very much whether the ordinary people of the UK will notice a practical difference in their lives other than a change of National Anthem before international matches.

fozy tornip

fozympotent

Combo!

1653168225011.png

there are a few things that are much more problematic at the moment.
Yes, but do you think I might be forgiven for thinking about more than one injustice at a time?

the Queen is not as influential as Kim Kardashian, Jurgen Klopp or Nigel Farage.
I’m not sure that is true, but even if it is none of those characters maintain their influence for life or pass it on to their heirs by supposed divine right.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes, but do you think I might be forgiven for thinking about more than one injustice at a time?

I’m not sure that is true, but even if it is none of those characters maintain their influence for life or pass it on to their heirs by supposed divine right.

Of course you can think about any number of injustices at a time. So do I but I must admit to prioritising my concerns about them based on actual influence on people's lives and likelihood of changing them given the attitudes of the general public.

As soon as one Kardashian, Klopp or Farage exits the stage another one comes along. The royal merry-go-round just takes a bit longer. Divine right is a medieval concept that has long since ceased to be believed and it would be perfectly possible in a parliamentary democracy to get rid of the monarchy if that was the wish of enough people. It will happen one day but currently, according to a recent Mori poll, less than 1/4 of the electorate want to do so.

Of course you can think about any number of injustices at a time. So do I but I must admit to prioritising my concerns about them based on actual influence on people's lives and likelihood of changing them given the attitudes of the general public.

As soon as one Kardashian, Klopp or Farage exits the stage another one comes along. The royal merry-go-round just takes a bit longer. Divine right is a medieval concept that has long since ceased to be believed and it would be perfectly possible in a parliamentary democracy to get rid of the monarchy if that was the wish of enough people. It will happen one day but currently, according to a recent Mori poll, less than 1/4 of the electorate want to do so.

I feel like I’m being gently told off for having a minority view. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 49

I am a republican in principle, but it is not something I will be manning the barricades over just yet as there are a few things that are much more problematic at the moment.
In terms of wealth the Royal Family are no longer near the top of the UK tree, where we now have 177 billionaires and the Queen is not as influential as Kim Kardashian, Jurgen Klopp or Nigel Farage.
One day we will no longer have a monarchy but I really doubt very much whether the ordinary people of the UK will notice a practical difference in their lives other than a change of National Anthem before international matches.
I'm a republican lol....they might not be near the top of the wealth tree but I'm guessing there not pawning their jewels yet ! Must have dented Lizzie's purse a bit paying out 12 million to protect her nonce son though...maybe have to cut back a bit like the rest of us ?

FishFright

Trees can often live a very long time so that would add some stability to the institution.

Top Bottom