Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

@Milzy Why do you find my post humorous?
We know you are lost in the worlds inhabited by the likes of David Icke, Andrew Bridgen, Matt Le Tissier, John O'Looney, etc , but a couple of clicks away is a potentially much less pro (in your distorted vision) Netanyahu audience, where you can easily test your offensive word credentials.
I look forward to the screenshots, because I don't imagine the post, or indeed your ability to post, will last for long.

I’m not going to be cancelled Woke Bazzer.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I’m not going to be cancelled Woke Bazzer.

You're not. @Bazzer is rightly pointing out that you'd be banned in pretty short order for using the word on a moderated forum. It's not funny or clever to try and justify it, you just look like a bigoted fool.

Milzy

You're not. @Bazzer is rightly pointing out that you'd be banned in pretty short order for using the word on a moderated forum. It's not funny or clever to try and justify it, you just look like a bigoted fool.

As I enjoy your lively debates I’m going to self police the silly comments in the future. Thank you.

multitool

Shaman
The correct response is to acknowledge that several people have pointed out that 'kike' is a racist epithet, and that either you simply didn't realise* or that you knew and are a racist.

* possible, but any epithetic used for a particular group needs to be researched before use.

Milzy

The correct response is to acknowledge that several people have pointed out that 'kike' is a racist epithet, and that either you simply didn't realise* or that you knew and are a racist.

* possible, but any epithetic used for a particular group needs to be researched before use.

It’s sometimes used in television shows. South Park have been getting away with it for 26 years now.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

What are you trying to prove/justify with this link? Because I haven't a scooby.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
It’s not racist, it comes from the Hebrew/Yiddish phrase “Kehilat haKodesh” (קהילת הקודש) (meaning, “Holy Congregation”)

I believe that’s one of many unsubstantiated theories, just like the idea that it related to the Yiddish word for circle, which illiterate Jewish immigrants would use (in preference to a X) on arriving at Ellis Island.

icowden

Legendary Member

We understand what etymology is. It doesn't have a bearing on whether a word is acceptable or not. When I was young in the 70s you would hear kids calling each other "spaz" or "spastic" as well as references to "pakis". Disabled people were referred to as "handicapped". Now, not so much.

Words change. Society tries to shrug off those words being used for racism or cruelty. They often get replaced by other words. See "Handicapped", "disabled", "special needs". It also varies by country - see the transition from "negro" through "ni**er" to "colored" to "person of color", to "african-american" in the US as opposed to our move to "black", or indeed my favourite answer to the question "what do you call african-americans in the uk?", "Dave, Olu or whatever their name happens to be".

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We understand what etymology is. It doesn't have a bearing on whether a word is acceptable or not. When I was young in the 70s you would hear kids calling each other "spaz" or "spastic" as well as references to "pakis". Disabled people were referred to as "handicapped". Now, not so much.

Words change. Society tries to shrug off those words being used for racism or cruelty. They often get replaced by other words. See "Handicapped", "disabled", "special needs". It also varies by country - see the transition from "negro" through "ni**er" to "colored" to "person of color", to "african-american" in the US as opposed to our move to "black", or indeed my favourite answer to the question "what do you call african-americans in the uk?", "Dave, Olu or whatever their name happens to be".

But, the purveyors of hate continue to hate, it is not the words which are the problem, but, the underlying mindset.

multitool

Shaman

I CBA to see if anyone else has pointed this out, but the origin of a word has no bearing on anything.

Try calling a black person a "ni***r", and then explain that it isnt a disgusting racist slur because the origin of the word is the Spanish word for black.

I dare you.

No, I double dare you.

9xpb03230vp31.jpg

Top Bottom