Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
How may police officers are there? Any one going over the line is way to many but painting the picture that all police officers are not to be trusted with women is simply an lie, and very damaging.
"Not all policemen"

Remember when someone suggested that women should wave down a bus if they didn't feel safe around a cop?

That 'a few' bad apples' excuse went beyond a joke, a long time ago.

There will be decent guys in the police, who may or may not have tried to make a difference, but the prevalence of misogyny, abuse and sexism within the ranks is well documented.
The damage has been done by their own hands.

How exactly are women supposed to know which ones are OK??

Will they wear a hat saying 'I'm a nice guy, you can trust me'
It's the fault of the police themselves, if many women don't trust them.

How they repair that trust is another matter.

icowden

Legendary Member
He was holding onto her arm as a means of restraint as I've already suggested, would it be 'weird ' if it was a bloke?
Yes. She doesn't show any sign of wanting to resist arrest or run away, therefore there doesn't seem to be any need to restrain her. If there is a need to restrain her, then why not do so with cuffs as is the norm?

From what I can gather on that there twitter, she was in breach of a court order.

icowden

Legendary Member
Still no suggestion on how to restrain her then just a repeat of your previous 'weird' and now 'handsy' terminology and some completely irrelevant behaviour at an unrelated gathering?

Let me help out Shep. When the Police want to stop someone running away they usually use handcuffs. I think that's why they have them.

mudsticks

Squire
Still no suggestion on how to restrain her then just a repeat of your previous 'weird' and now 'handsy' terminology and some completely irrelevant behaviour at an unrelated gathering?

The behaviour of the police at the Sarah Everard vigil is very relevant because its part of a pattern of behaviour.
Not all of us have such short memories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56394344

The pols have brought mistrust upon themselves, by their own actions.

Actions of individual officers, and a collective culture of misogyny too.
It's well documented, has been exposed via several investigations / reports.

D

Deleted member 28

Let me help out Shep. When the Police want to stop someone running away they usually use handcuffs. I think that's why they have them.
Who said she was trying to run away?

YOU tell me what YOU think the copper was doing then, trying to steal her watch maybe, sexually assault her (if you listen to @mudsticks) read her palm?

C'mon then fella, what was happening?

D

Deleted member 28

From what I can gather on that there twitter, she was in breach of a court order.
What course of action should the bobby have taken then to uphold this court order, don't tell me, remove her from the area that she was banned from going maybe?

And how would you suggest that was done without physically doing this to someone who doesn't want to be removed from said area, blow on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28

We’re going round in circles and won’t agree. That’s ok.

We will because you have no answer to what I'm asking, she obviously wants to go somewhere she's banned from going and the copper has used as little restraint as possible in order to stop her carrying on, again what would you suggest they did to prevent her from going somewhere she shouldn't?

We will because you have no answer to what I'm asking, she obviously wants to go somewhere she's banned from going and the copper has used as little restraint as possible in order to stop her carrying on, again what would you suggest they did to prevent her from going somewhere she shouldn't?

One last try.

If she has breached her bail conditions I believe they are entitled to arrest her. Handcuffs are the usual means of reducing the risk of an arrested person being violent or absconding. I would expect her to be walked to a nearby vehicle to be transported away from the area or to a police station for processing. It appears that in the clip she has not been arrested but instead we see the strange, unnecessary, and troubling wrist grip. I say that people that present little risk should not have to suffer unwanted and prolonged physical contact from police officers or anyone else. The fact that this is a young woman resonates with other incidents in which innocent women have been harmed.

My opinion is based on the video clip we have both watched. Neither of us knows for sure what happened before or after the recording, which is why I very deliberately described it as troubling and weird but have not alleged misconduct.

No I'm not a 'man hater' at all.
I have many lovely, decent men in my life, who treat women with respect
just a other version of the ''few bad apples excuse'' which doesn't prove anything.
"Not all policemen"

Remember when someone suggested that women should wave down a bus if they didn't feel safe around a cop?
i also remember the context is which that comment was made it was made. that context is non-existent here, as seen in the clip.
Also worth mentioning that in he us all officers need to wear body cams and thanks thus there is now a ton of footage available showing not everything you see in a few minute clip is what it's made look like to be.

That 'a few' bad apples' excuse went beyond a joke, a long time ago.

There will be decent guys in the police, who may or may not have tried to make a difference, but the prevalence of misogyny, abuse and sexism within the ranks is well documented.
The damage has been done by their own hands.
Yeas, but therefore not arresting women anymore is not the solution, to translate and quote a dutch police commisioner(of head of dutch police not sure of that's the same) It's good to be able to trust someone, it better to have control over the situation.
So in case of the Police that would be for example that all police officers need to wear body cams at all times, as above in the us that has solved a lot of cases (and yes that system isn't watertight either)

How exactly are women supposed to know which ones are OK??

Will they wear a hat saying 'I'm a nice guy, you can trust me'
It's the fault of the police themselves, if many women don't trust them.

How they repair that trust is another matter.
well in this case she could have started by not breaching an bail order, so there was no reason for police contact at all. What are you suggesting? the police no longer arresting women or something?

I haven’t disputed that but at the point she’s being grasped she has not been arrested.
They don't arrest any male in the same way either, i mean i suspected 5 times killer is going to be handled otherwise as someone suspected of stealing an icecream. same applies here. whether or not holding an suspect like that is a smart one is a whole other topic,

One last try.

If she has breached her bail conditions I believe they are entitled to arrest her. Handcuffs are the usual means of reducing the risk of an arrested person being violent or absconding. I would expect her to be walked to a nearby vehicle to be transported away from the area or to a police station for processing. It appears that in the clip she has not been arrested but instead we see the strange, unnecessary, and troubling wrist grip. I say that people that present little risk should not have to suffer unwanted and prolonged physical contact from police officers or anyone else. The fact that this is a young woman resonates with other incidents in which innocent women have been harmed.

My opinion is based on the video clip we have both watched. Neither of us knows for sure what happened before or after the recording, which is why I very deliberately described it as troubling and weird but have not alleged misconduct.

Persistence is futile....

mudsticks

Squire
Who said she was trying to run away?

YOU tell me what YOU think the copper was doing then, trying to steal her watch maybe, sexually assault her (if you listen to @mudsticks) read her palm?

C'mon then fella, what was happening?

Well clearly you're not 'listening' -
- no surprise there.

Where did I say he was sexually assaulting her ?

I see pretty much what @newfhouse sees, and am bothered about it for much the same reasons.

The Met and other forces have brought this mistrust onto themselves by their own actions and inactions.

But you don't seem to see why women might mistrust them, given their record.

suspected 5 times killer is going to be handled otherwise as someone suspected of stealing an icecream
You make my point for me. This woman presents no physical risk to the multitude of officers surrounding her.

Also worth mentioning that in he us all officers need to wear body cams and thanks thus there is now a ton of footage available showing not everything you see in a few minute clip is what it's made look like to be.
Really?

View: https://twitter.com/marieannuk/status/1589925038668795904?s=61&t=PRw_F2j7inH1w3-ZgBO6iw

For the hard of thinking, I am responding here to your point about US law enforcement and do not say that the two incidents are equivalent.

D

Deleted member 28

I haven’t disputed that but at the point she’s being grasped she has not been arrested.

The title of the post is "Laura from just stop oil being arrested " so would you have been happier with her being placed in handcuffs?

D

Deleted member 28

For the umpteenth time, yes.

At f**ing last !

I can't recall you saying you would prefer to see her handcuffed (unless I missed it) all I remember was you bleating on about weirdness?

What, in your opinion, do you think he was doing then (for the umpteenth time).

Top Bottom