Arthur Labinjo-Hughes: A life cut short by cruelty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Child deaths due to abuse will do for now.
I don't have figures but that seems a bit of a selective measure anyway. Abuse and neglect and the grind of child poverty are surely worth looking at too.

Is it likely that cutting resources had either a positive or no effect on the ability of the relevant authorities - police, schools, social services - to look after the well-being of children?

Links to show that child deaths reduced during last period of Labour tenure, or, indeed at any period since WW2, would be interesting

You want it, you look for it. I’m not doing your homework for you.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don't have figures but that seems a bit of a selective measure anyway. Abuse and neglect and the grind of child poverty are surely worth looking at too.

Is it likely that cutting resources had either a positive or no effect on the ability of the relevant authorities - police, schools, social services - to look after the well-being of children?

I feel the goal posts moving ;)

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I've had a good look but I can't find any statistics that cover a long enough period to shed light on whether the number of child abuse deaths have changed under various governments. It's complicated by the fact that some earlier stats don't record child abuse deaths separately - so the rise in fatal stabbings of/by under 16's for example would muddy the data.

It would seem plausible that reduced funding for social services would result in cases being missed but, from what I've read, in the cases of deaths of younger children/babies the parents were mostly not known to social services anyway.

I feel the goal posts moving ;)

Has the effectiveness of local authority social services departments been enhanced or diminished by funding reductions in the last ten years?
How do I know, did it improve during the last Labour tenure?
Simple answer - yes.
Links, to show that, say, child deaths reduced during last Labour tenure,

It seems that it was you that set a narrow measure of “effectiveness” and then demanded links.

But that’s OK. I’m happy to admit that my understanding is enhanced, and my position on many matters modified, by talking and listening around any given subject.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It seems that it was you that set a narrow measure of “effectiveness” and then demanded links.

But that’s OK. I’m happy to admit that my understanding is enhanced, and my position on many matters modified, by talking and listening around any given subject.

You are welcome

I've had a good look but I can't find any statistics that cover a long enough period to shed light on whether the number of child abuse deaths have changed under various governments.
Jup a trick that various government's in many different countries do, they just class it at something else and no problem no issue, except for the victims that is.
Works for wide range of topics too. It only becomes a problem when you have something grossly underfunded like the healthcare and a pandemic comes to visit.

It's complicated by the fact that some earlier stats don't record child abuse deaths separately - so the rise in fatal stabbings of/by under 16's for example would muddy the data.
Well Child death is the end result, very rarely it starts with killing a child it mostly starts with abuse, which should be addressed by social services, which failed both Arthur and Star, and somehow they always seem to find a way to blame somerthing else.
Similar as police always seem to need more resources/spying laws when a terrorist attacks something they should have seen because board arsenal of tools they already have.
Fatal stabbings are a whole other story, they have much more to do with the youth criminality system and druglords misusing that, glorification of gang culture and so on. ( Yes if music with rappers and such that brag about knifes, guns voilence and drugs and the money that it brings , is populair amongst some groups and they then go on to copy that there is a casual connection. )

It would seem plausible that reduced funding for social services would result in cases being missed but, from what I've read, in the cases of deaths of younger children/babies the parents were mostly not known to social services anyway.
Both recent examples of Arthur and Star had little to do with funding, but everything with misjudging the situation.
Perhaps better education would have learned the social workers to better look at the hidden messages or not let them be outplayed with an ''it's because we are lesbian'' story, but it's impossible to say more funding would have really helped.
It seems faster and better action when the regulatory body deemed the service ineffective would be a better starting point.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think it's a combination of things, Dutchguy. In cases of 'shaken baby syndrome' injuries or death from shaking, the parents often aren't known to social services and there isn't always previous abuse or neglect. Alcohol, drugs, and stress do seem to factor though.

In these two recent cases there doesn't seem to be issues around poverty or material neglect, in that the children weren't unkempt nor the houses were unclean etc. Like domestic abuse, child abuse (both emotional and physical) cuts across all groups in society and I think it's more complicated than underfunded services, though that obviously contributes to certain cases not being picked up.

Another awful tragedy today with two sets of twins aged 3 and 4 killed in a house fire. Heartbreaking. Makes you want to hug your kids and never let them out of your sight.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe, reduced funding, impractically large caseloads leading to pressure to close cases mean cases are misjudged.

I think I highlighted Lisa Arthurworrey's scapegoating in the Climbie case earlier in this thread.
Could be, but then you would expect that all social services in the uk would have the remark ''need improvement''(or fancier words to the same affect) which isn't the case as far as i'm aware so the conclusion that's it due to cutting funding, is to quickly made in my opinion.
Would it contribute? Sure we see that in all aspects of life, but is it the root issue? i'm not so convinced.

Top Bottom