American bombshell? Roe vs. Wade....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
One unintended 'upside' of all this, may be shaking some of those people who thought gender equality was 'done' out of their complacent torpor..

Agreed.
Just seen this....

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...il-war-us-abortion?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I see that even the Vatican has said to chill out a bit on the whole abortion thing, there's a bit more to it than that...

mudsticks

Squire
I see that even the Vatican has said to chill out a bit on the whole abortion thing, there's a bit more to it than that...

Ah yes, all those 'celibate' chaps in the darling frocks advised us to chill out a bit..😇

Screenshot_20220626-113522.png

winjim

Ah yes, all those 'celibate' chaps in the darling frocks advised us to chill out a bit..😇

View attachment 1496

It's not you they're telling to chill, it's the anti-abortionists. They're making a lot of the same points that pro-choice advocates are making. OK, they're making them from a fundamental anti-abortion point of view but they're bringing up maternal healthcare, gun control, other issues that could fall under the 'pro life' umbrella.

I see also groups of Rabbis again coming out as pro choice and apparently Sharia permits abortion under specific circumstances.

mudsticks

Squire
It's not you they're telling to chill, it's the anti-abortionists. They're making a lot of the same points that pro-choice advocates are making. OK, they're making them from a fundamental anti-abortion point of view but they're bringing up maternal healthcare, gun control, other issues that could fall under the 'pro life' umbrella.

I see also groups of Rabbis again coming out as pro choice and apparently Sharia permits abortion under specific circumstances.

Great thanks for clearing that up..👍🏼

My comment about the darling frocks still stands though..

I happened to be in a 'High Anglican' service one time, supporting a relative.

The chap (priest?) holding the service was delightedly dressing up - piece by piece from his undergarments - in a deliciously pink* new outfit that had been created by some nimble fingered church devotees..

It was the most glorious piece of high-camp theatre 🌈💃😇

The pink apparently symbolises some particular part of the church calendar, but it really suited his complexion too 👍🏼🙂

💜💚

mudsticks

Squire
Amen to this....

View attachment 1497
...though many of us would like to support your position....

It's really not that difficult to be a good ally, to support, and amplify the voices of women...

OK, maybe it takes a bit of getting used to for blokes who are used to 'holding the floor' but it can be done with practice..

I think the "Fallopians 13;13" is pretty droll -
I might nick that 👍🏼

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

mudsticks

Squire
Better than nothing, but then it's also cheaper for these companies health insurance plans to fund termination rather than maternity care right??

I'll applaud when I see companies lobbying the GOP directly , withdrawing financial support from the Republican Party..

And as it says in the article this is no help at all for the uninsured the vulnerable, the poorer and less empowered..

Or are these corporates going to help them too??

2 / 10 so far..
No hurrahs

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Better than nothing, but then it's also cheaper for these companies health insurance plans to fund termination rather than maternity care right??

I'll applaud when I see companies lobbying the GOP directly , withdrawing financial support from the Republican Party..

And as it says in the article this is no help at all for the uninsured the vulnerable, the poorer and less empowered..

Or are these corporates going to help them too??

2 / 10 so far..
No hurrahs

In a very imperfect situation, I'm quite surprised that big corp is doing this as it can be framed as a 'politically sensitive move', hopefully it'll go wider and have some trickle-down - and that could cover an awful lot of workers, which will also take some pressure off 'public/crowd-funding for the vulnerable others to be able to access the services they need
Of course, it's easy to be cynical about these things. Right now, every little helps.
I think it's a bold step for the risk-averse Big Corp, YMMV....

Last edited:

winjim

It's a dystopian nightmare, having to disclose your pregnancy status to your employer in order for them to grant you healthcare. And what happens when a disgruntled small minded middle manager grasses you up to claim a bounty? What does your employer do when the cops show up at the door with a warrant to access your employment records? It's all just awful.

All uphill

A welcome development in the here and now, and also another step towards a society where you are ever more dependent on your employer.

Truly a country that exists to benefit its corporations, not its population.

mudsticks

Squire
In a very imperfect situation, I'm quite surprised that big corp is doing this as it can be framed as a 'politically sensitive move', hopefully it'll go wider and have some trickle-down - and that could cover an awful lot of workers, which will also take some pressure off 'public/crowd-funding for the vulnerable others to be able to access the services they need
Of course, it's easy to be cynical about these things. Right now, every little helps.
I think it's a bold step for the risk-averse Big Corp, YMMV....

Yes it's better than nothing, but still terrible that it's even having to be considered.

It's a dystopian nightmare, having to disclose your pregnancy status to your employer in order for them to grant you healthcare. And what happens when a disgruntled small minded middle manager grasses you up to claim a bounty? What does your employer do when the cops show up at the door with a warrant to access your employment records? It's all just awful.

Exactly in a country (world) where the desire to have control over womens autonomy , and bodies is still so widespread , this is very small compensation and carries very high risk, as you outline..

So many women are still controlled, silenced and disempowered through threat of violence, or actual violence, shaming, loss of earnings, or lack of support, and coercion, from all sides ..

That needs to change wholesale, but pushback against true equality is hard.

A welcome development in the here and now, and also another step towards a society where you are ever more dependent on your employer.

Truly a country that exists to benefit its corporations, not its population.

Yup...

Top Bottom