£15 minimum wage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Is that so hard to understand.My partner is a Artist,spends her spare time with her head stuck in a book or working on her PhD.Its tough to make a good living so she teaches.She didn't go to University with the sole purpose of it leading to a well paid job.She did it because she loves Art.
And when she has done her PhD she will become more established as an artist, and her work, instead of costing £75 at a flea market will be worth £300 at a small gallery, then when she is established at that level she will be able to sell in bigger galleries for £750, then the commissions will start and be worth a £1250...............and on and on.

Or will she continue to charge £75 when she has put all the work in, become established and somewhat famous?

D

Deleted member 49

And when she has done her PhD she will become more established as an artist, and her work, instead of costing £75 at a flea market will be worth £300 at a small gallery, then when she is established at that level she will be able to sell in bigger galleries for £750, then the commissions will start and be worth a £1250...............and on and on.

Or will she continue to charge £75 when she has put all the work in, become established and somewhat famous?
You really haven't a clue...how do you know what her PHD is ? She used to paint/draw people's cats,dogs etc for money.But it's not what she likes doing.Most of her art now is for herself.She also works with other artists as a co operative,art in the community etc.Believe me when I say it's not about the money.She is the least materialistic person I've met ! Drives me nuts sometimes.
She lectures at Uni,College for the money and if we could afford it...she would jack it in tommorow.

FishFright

All those terrible people who studied hard and long enough to get PhD's are obviously never going to make use of all that effort. Good job for them that your taxes keep them in luxury .....

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
how do you know what her PHD is ?
What is her PhD in then?
She is the least materialistic person I've met ! Drives me nuts sometimes.
You woud rather she was more materialistic and would focus on earning more money so you could be more comfortable I assume?
She lectures at Uni,College for the money
But she wouldn't be able to if she hadn't worked hard and tried to make things better for herself and you would she? Now she is passing on those skills and that knowledge so the students can do better for themselves in the future. Good on her.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
All those terrible people who studied hard and long enough to get PhD's are obviously never going to make use of all that effort. Good job for them that your taxes keep them in luxury .....
Yeah, I don't get this at all. I assume you were behind on your word count today, so typed some that seemed to make sense at the time?

I am endlessly saying that those people who did all that hard work and study should expect enhanced rewards when they break through in to their careers over someone who did nothing to learn and then take a job doing something unskilled.

Maybe people doing undesirable or unpleasant jobs should earn more than those that enjoy and are fulfilled by their work.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

You've no idea how art works.

D

Deleted member 49

What is her PhD in then?
The Irish Border....liminality.
You woud rather she was more materialistic and would focus on earning more money so you could be more comfortable I assume?
No not at all...me telling her what to do lol.Youve missed my point.
But she wouldn't be able to if she hadn't worked hard and tried to make things better for herself and you would she? Now she is passing on those skills and that knowledge so the students can do better for themselves in the future. Good on her.
Take your point but you don't really go into Art to make money...well you could but it's a tough game.Its probally one of those degrees that some think what's the point,there's no money in it ! But this is all well of the point of the thread.Id say we were pretty lucky,do ok and get by financially.
Would it bother me somebody with less skills than myself got payed more ? Not at all,I'd be happy for them.You do remember all that clapping sh1te and how we're going to appreciate essential workers more don't you 🙄

mudsticks

Squire
So, Craig, how much more per hour do you need to be paid in order to consider it worthwhile to do your job rather than say, that of a care worker? If the differential was reduced, at what point would you think 'I'd be better off wiping people's bottoms'?

Wiping peoples bottoms, in such a way as to ensure their health and dignity are maintained , is probably one of the most underappreciated, underpaid, and thankless tasks.

I did it for my kids of course, and for others, during a brief period whilst working as a youngster in a care home .

But I really hope my kids don't have to do it for me..

Surely no one thinks that higher status, more interesting, more creative or even more responsible jobs are only done for the extra money??

Neither of my jobs pays enormously well , despite my having worked and trained and invested long and hard to get pretty good at them.

But I get respect, independence, creative satisfaction, and even fun from doing them.

As well as enough money, to live on, and have a pretty nice life, in pleasant surroundings.

I wouldn't mind at all if care workers, and others, got paid more than me.

They probably should do.

They do a tremendous job, and a very valuable one, that I'd rather not have to do.

Same goes for all the other 'humble' but vital jobs that we don't notice until they don't get done.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I wouldn't mind at all if care workers, and others, got paid more than me.

They probably should do.

They do a tremendous job, and a very valuable one, that I'd rather not have to do.

Same goes for all the other 'humble' but vital jobs that we don't notice until they don't get done.

The key question (IMHO) is not if you would mind or not, but, how high a tax rate YOU would be willing to pay to make it so? 25%, 30%, 40%....

and, yes, of course, all of those tax dodging companies, and, individuals, should pay their taxes, but, if even that is not enough...

D

Deleted member 49

The key question (IMHO) is not if you would mind or not, but, how high a tax rate YOU would be willing to pay to make it so? 25%, 30%, 40%....

and, yes, of course, all of those tax dodging companies, and, individuals, should pay their taxes, but, if even that is not enough...
Surely the more your paid the more tax you'll pay ? Tax the wealthy...before you ask anyone over 80,000 a year say to start ? Lower if you like.Its bollox that we can't afford to pay people properly.

So here is the Labour party saying there are to be no tax rises for anyone earning under £80,000, then announcing this tax rise for millions of people, and the issue is the word 'married'?

The point about the married couples allowance is it goes to all married couples. Like other similar adjustments it's a universal benefit, not one focussed on the needy or levelling up.

It only goes to married couples. I guess that's meant to send a moral message but the other effect is that there's a whole unmarried cohort, probably financially worse off, who miss out.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Surely the more your paid the more tax you'll pay ? Tax the wealthy...before you ask anyone over 80,000 a year say to start ? Lower if you like.Its bollox that we can't afford to pay people properly.

I didn't make any comment on the rights or wrongs of paying the "low paid" more.

My question was directed to what rate of income tax (ie how much out of every £ earned was taken to pay for various services) was deemed acceptable for an "ordinary" person (because, of course, none of us on here are rich, we may have "enough", but, we are definitely not rich).

I also said, assuming we clamped down on the tax dodging Companies and Individuals.

Top Bottom