£15 minimum wage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Do you think that levelling up and being fair means that increasing the tax take by removing the tax allowance from married couples? The Labour party do.

So that will be removing around £250 a year from couples claiming it, many of who will have one partner working and one not in employment.

the snail

So, Craig, how much more per hour do you need to be paid in order to consider it worthwhile to do your job rather than say, that of a care worker? If the differential was reduced, at what point would you think 'I'd be better off wiping people's bottoms'?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So, Craig, how much more per hour do you need to be paid in order to consider it worthwhile to do your job rather than say, that of a care worker? If the differential was reduced, at what point would you think 'I'd be better off wiping people's bottoms'?

I don't know what Craig does for a job, but, why does the alternative employment have to be a Care Worker?

I would have thought, if pay levels were suitable, many Care Workers may ask themselves "why not work at ASDA (or supermarket of your choice) collecting trolleys in the car park" ?

Daughter No 4 is a Care Worker. She actually has less disposable income than her brother, Son No 2 (what has worked for 6 months in his 47 year life).

D

Deleted member 49

Do you think that levelling up and being fair means that increasing the tax take by removing the tax allowance from married couples? The Labour party do.

So that will be removing around £250 a year from couples claiming it, many of who will have one partner working and one not in employment.
Your point ? I know exactly what I think levelling up means....clue it's not what you or the Tories mean though.
Imagine removing 250 quid a week from married couple,as you say maybe one working and one not.
But you've already took the 20quid a week in UC back of them...🙄
So they'll allways be worse of under the Tories.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I'm a registered nurse! I have wiped arses for donkeys years. You would be amazed how much you can tell about a persons diet, wealth, exercise and general health from wiping someones bum. I guess that comes with experience and training though.

I am now a very senior nurse who does a very specific job. I would be pretty miffed if a staff nurse on qualification earned £1.50 an hour less than me. The job I have is very stressful, takes a huge amount of experience and involves difficult and complex decisions that impact 000,000s of people on a daily basis. Do you think that deserves a differential in pay from someone without that pressure or experience?

classic33

But if the 'unskilled' jobs are at the same level of reward as the 'skilled jobs', why would anyone go in to the more skilled jobs? If I can earn £15 from school doing some work mowing grass on a golf course, why would I work super hard, all hours, studying and gaining a degree in 3 years to be paid the same money?

At some point, the extra effort has to be worth the extra reward doesn't it? Or should a brain surgeon be paid the same as the Prime Minister and the bloke on the checkout at Spar?
Local trust Chief executive is being paid more than the brain surgeons in the trust. He was also paid more than the PM when he was the council chief executive, before he moved on. Don't think he'd have gone for a similar job for less money.

He was the last director of printing services for a neighbouring council, before the department was shut due to being too expensive. Actually cheaper to have the printing handled by contractors than his department, in house.

But if the 'unskilled' jobs are at the same level of reward as the 'skilled jobs', why would anyone go in to the more skilled jobs? If I can earn £15 from school doing some work mowing grass on a golf course, why would I work super hard, all hours, studying and gaining a degree in 3 years to be paid the same money?

Because education allows you a more varied range of career choices, including the opportunity to earn a living doing something you enjoy. Salary doesn’t have to be the most important factor in your working life.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
The issue is the word I've bolded.
So here is the Labour party saying there are to be no tax rises for anyone earning under £80,000, then announcing this tax rise for millions of people, and the issue is the word 'married'?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Local trust Chief executive is being paid more than the brain surgeons in the trust. He was also paid more than the PM when he was the council chief executive, before he moved on. Don't think he'd have gone for a similar job for less money.

He was the last director of printing services for a neighbouring council, before the department was shut due to being too expensive. Actually cheaper to have the printing handled by contractors than his department, in house.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but thanks anyway.

D

Deleted member 49

So here is the Labour party saying there are to be no tax rises for anyone earning under £80,000, then announcing this tax rise for millions of people, and the issue is the word 'married'?
Make your mind up that was the last manifesto under Corbyn,which for me seemed fair...Under Starmer nobody has a clue what his policies are !
But as shown by yourself we wouldn't want any tax rises at all for yourself,maybe a few cuts here and there from lower down.We could give it a name, call it Austerity mark 2...or some other catchy phrase for fecking the needy.Who do you think is going to pay for Covid/Brexit ? You don't honestly think we're going to level anything up do you ?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Because education allows you a more varied range of career choices, including the opportunity to earn a living doing something you enjoy. Salary doesn’t have to be the most important factor in your working life.
Now you propose that all the education, time and investment in your job is not to better the chances of you and your family, make a comfortable life and live well, but because you quite enjoy it?

D

Deleted member 49

Now you propose that all the education, time and investment in your job is not to better the chances of you and your family, make a comfortable life and live well, but because you quite enjoy it?
Is that so hard to understand.My partner is a Artist,spends her spare time with her head stuck in a book or working on her PhD.Its tough to make a good living so she teaches.She didn't go to University with the sole purpose of it leading to a well paid job.She did it because she loves Art.

Pretty much, yes.

All of the things you mention matter to an extent, obviously. I have had better paid jobs that I have hated and that were not good for my mental health. For the last fourteen years I have had the best job ever, but I earn considerably less than when I ran my own businesses.

My (state funded) education has allowed me to make those choices.

the snail

Do you think that deserves a differential in pay from someone without that pressure or experience?
Yes, I just wonder how much that differential needs to be. Pay isn't the sole motivator for a lot of people. I've worked in jobs where people are willing to take on more responsibility/stress for a small difference in pay, presumably they like doing a more challenging job, or they feel there is more status/prestige attached to the job. I don't think pay differentials are set in stone, and I don't agree that we have to have people on poverty wages to preserve these differentials.

Top Bottom