£15 minimum wage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The point about the married couples allowance is it goes to all married couples. Like other similar adjustments it's a universal benefit, not one focussed on the needy or levelling up.

It only goes to married couples. I guess that's meant to send a moral message but the other effect is that there's a whole unmarried cohort, probably financially worse off, who miss out.

Could you expand on this "married couples" tax allowance?

Are you (and @Craig the cyclist ) talking about the ability to transfer (an unused) part of the personal allowance, between married(?) couples, if one of them is not earning enough to use all of their personal allowance?.

D

Deleted member 49

I didn't make any comment on the rights or wrongs of paying the "low paid" more.

My question was directed to what rate of income tax (ie how much out of every £ earned was taken to pay for various services) was deemed acceptable for an "ordinary" person (because, of course, none of us on here are rich, we may have "enough", but, we are definitely not rich).

I also said, assuming we clamped down on the tax dodging Companies and Individuals.
Rich being the wrong term then....to put it another way...when so much of the country is struggling,in work poverty,food banks etc then tax us all more.Just make it a progressive tax,a bit fairer ?
Like I know what the fark I'm talking about...but I know it's not right as it is now.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Rich being the wrong term then....to put it another way...when so much of the country is struggling,in work poverty,food banks etc then tax us all more.Just make it a progressive tax,a bit fairer ?
Like I know what the fark I'm talking about...but I know it's not right as it is now.

Same here. I think, we just disagree on the method of solving the problem

Could you expand on this "married couples" tax allowance?

Are you (and @Craig the cyclist ) talking about the ability to transfer (an unused) part of the personal allowance, between married(?) couples, if one of them is not earning enough to use all of their personal allowance?.

I assume that's what @Craig the cyclist meant, perhaps he can confirm.

My point is that (a) anything to do with Tax Allowances goes to everybody, or at least in this case those earning £50k, not just folks on low incomes and (b) it's no help to unmarried couples.

mudsticks

Squire
I assume that's what @Craig the cyclist meant, perhaps he can confirm.

My point is that (a) anything to do with Tax Allowances goes to everybody, or at least in this case those earning £50k, not just folks on low incomes and (b) it's no help to unmarried couples.

I never really understood the motivation behind the 'married couples' allowance thing

Is it some kind of supposed easy sop to the nuclear family traditionalists. ??

I mean, who ever considers it, if contemplating getting hitched..

Or indeed unhitched ..

Mmmm 🤔 Tax allowances..

There's an incentive for, or indeed brake on my plans .

D

Deleted member 49

Was it not brought in by Cameron to be pro family....or to appease all his backbenchers who were/are still stuck in the 1950s ?

Was it not brought in by Cameron to be pro family....or to appease all his backbenchers who were/are still stuck in the 1950s ?

Whether it was purely Cameron I'm not sure but the bit I've bolded definitely applies.

As somebody who has lived "ower t'brush" with the same woman for 38years with two perfectly well adjusted kids and a new grandson I get a bit arsey over those who lecture on morality.

D

Deleted member 49

As somebody who has lived "ower t'brush" with the same woman for 38years with two perfectly well adjusted kids and a new grandson I get a bit arsey over those who lecture on morality.
38 years ! Shame the tv show Mr and Mrs isn't still around 😁

Top Bottom