The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
Posting from the civilised end of the island, where alcohol at fitba matches has been illegal since 1980, I don't see what the problem is.

Whilst alcohol has been banned inside venues before, it’s always available in hundreds of pubs often within 50 yards of the venue before and after the game. Or from supermarkets or even brought from home. (Non of which is possible in Qatar)

Banning it 48 beforehand is very poor form, especially when FIFA have a main event sponsor. The FIFA statement is embarrassing and I suspect Budweiser will be launching legal proceedings for contract breaches.

Mr Celine

If I asked for a beer and was given a Budweiser I'd call that a breach of contract.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Infantino:

"Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker."

"Of course I am not Qatari, Arab, African, gay, disabled or a migrant worker. But I feel like them because I know what it means to be discriminated and bullied as a foreigner in a foreign country.

"As a child I was bullied because I had red hair and freckles. I was bullied for that."

You'd have to have a heart of stone...... The man hasn't got a clue. His brain must be addled from counting all the millions he's got out of Qatar.

What is it with FIFA and corrupt officials?

stowie

Qatar appears to be about to u-turn on alcohol sales inside the stadium, just 2 days before kick off.

A ban will impact fans and Budweiser are an official FIFA sponsor.

In 2014 FIFA bullied Brazil into overturning federal law that banned alcohol sales in stadiums since 2003. Introduced as one of the measures to lower instances of violence at matches.

Jerome Valke from FIFA at the time :

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the Fifa World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate," he said.
"The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the law."

FIFA is a farking joke. I don't care about alcohol being sold - or not sold - at matches but everything they do has the stench of corruption and arrogance about it.

Beebo

Veteran
In 2014 FIFA bullied Brazil into overturning federal law that banned alcohol sales in stadiums since 2003. Introduced as one of the measures to lower instances of violence at matches.

Jerome Valke from FIFA at the time :

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the Fifa World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate," he said.
"The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the law."

FIFA is a farking joke. I don't care about alcohol being sold - or not sold - at matches but everything they do has the stench of corruption and arrogance about it.

Has that been put directly to FIFA and Infantio?
I’d love to see his comments.

albion

Guru
Beckham neighs 'Qatar is the platform of the big fat cheque'.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/david-beckham-speaks-qatar-world-28533358.amp

stowie

Football is many things, but at the forefront of progressive social change is rarely one of them.

Qatar will be in the news for its human rights and migrant worker abuses for a bit. Beckham will take his £15M p/a for 10 years and presumably hope the controversy dies down as the football starts.

The World Cup should be an amazing spectacle of the best talent playing in the biggest tournament for the most popular sport in the world. It could be a force for good, both for the host nation and more generally. Instead FIFA have corrupted it into a highly lucrative (for them) extractive process which leaves the host nation facing huge bills.

This world cup should have been a real moment of celebration after the years of COVID. It is Messi's last world cup. One of the best players ever has won everything except a world cup winners medal and this year will be his last chance. We have Brazil as the bookies favourite to win, and there aren't many football fans who don't like watching Brazil. Hell, England is 4th most likely in the odds tracker. And yet, it feels wrong to get excited over the tournament with guilt over even watching it. FIFA needs to go. But it won't. Old men lining their pockets rarely give up gracefully.

Top Bottom