The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I think we have to be careful here not to conflate two different things.

Yes Nicola Sturgeon is concerned about the US decision on Abortion energising protests in Scotland around the same issue.
Unfortunately because it is an emotive subject backed by the baby Jesus, people who want to protest about a woman's right to a termination more often than not, cannot do that without unduly harassing women who really couldn't give a monkey's about the protestors views and just want to get on with what they are doing.

Because of this difficulty, NS is proposing buffer zones around clinics so that people cannot turn up and harass the women using those clinics. This is not about their right to protest. They are more than welcome to march up to Holyrood and protest, but they are not going to be permitted to abuse and harass women attending clinic to make a difficult decision.

This is not about banning protest, it is about preventing harassment. This applies to any protest. If Extinction Rebellion want to camp out on the M25 and cause mass disruption that is a protest. If they start dragging people out of cars and shouting abuse at them that is harassment.

I kinda thought that Jesus was a bit of a lefty liberal, and wouldn't be the sort to be wanting to force women into situations not of their choosing..

Didn't he routinely hang with prostitutes.??

Pretty sure they would have to use birth control, both pre and post work..

Don't recall any stories where he said women were expected to keep on churning out babies til they died of it, or exhaustion..

Or else burn forever in hell fire..

Happy to be corrected on that as biblical studies aren't really my strong point

Ian H

Guru
I wouldn't know. I am not in Scotland, and have not seen any such demonstrations on the TV, but if they are anything like those "pro-lifers" (sic) in the US, yelling and waving placards in the faces of women and staff at these facilities, then it is harassment

I have seen them outside the Marie Stopes clinic in Ealing. In such a situation they didn't have to do much to be distinctly intimidating

icowden

Legendary Member
I kinda thought that Jesus was a bit of a lefty liberal, and wouldn't be the sort to be wanting to force women into situations not of their choosing..
Didn't he routinely hang with prostitutes.??
Pretty sure they would have to use birth control, both pre and post work..
Don't recall any stories where he said women were expected to keep on churning out babies til they died of it, or exhaustion..
Or else burn forever in hell fire..
Happy to be corrected on that as biblical studies aren't really my strong point
All true - but don't tell the Christians that!

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Unkraut’s Jesus is all about the judgement and the shaming I think. It’s almost as if those that invent deities do so in their own image.

True that ..

I used to have a 'help mate'

"Griselda the Socially Anxious Giraffe"

Who would take on my embarassments and paranoias, and shoulder the 'fear' of being seen or heard..

Once I'd worked on myself, and got a bit more confident, I could put her out to grass.

I won't tell you who I've usually got sat on my shoulder nowadays, but suffice to say she's got just a bit more sass than dear old Grissy. đź’šđź’ś

True that ..

I used to have a 'help mate'

"Griselda the Socially Anxious Giraffe"

Who would take on my embarassments and paranoias, and shoulder the 'fear' of being seen or heard..

Once I'd worked on myself, and got a bit more confident, I could put her out to grass.

I won't tell you who I've usually got sat on my shoulder nowadays, but suffice to say she's got just a bit more sass than dear old Grissy. đź’šđź’ś

Sounds like a tall tale.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Sounds like a tall tale.

Yup..
Being tall, is a bit unhelpful if you're inclined towards self conciousness..

But it's fine now..
Happy to exist at 'full height'..

matticus

Guru
Unkraut’s Jesus is all about the judgement and the shaming I think. It’s almost as if those that invent deities do so in their own image.

Which leads to some surprising results:
1656578419708.png

Another fanciful theory I heard once: apparently, not all christians think the same. Not even within the UK, let alone the USA! Of course I said this was absurd, but ...

glasgowcyclist

Ăśber Member
Scotland introduces new legislation restricting the purchase, possession and use of fireworks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-61989897

The new law will only allow fireworks to be bought and used by members of the public at certain times of the year, including Guy Fawkes Day, Hogmanay, Chinese New Year and Diwali.
A new system will mean people must have a licence to buy and use certain fireworks.
It will also become an offence to give fireworks to or buy them for a child.
And councils will be able to establish firework control zones where it will be an offence for them to be used, by either the public or professionals, other than in a display "of essential purposes".
Possession of a firework or other pyrotechnic in a public place without reasonable excuse also becomes an offence.

Top Bottom