The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
My veggies are coming on well, ok most of them, but good news all the same.
But I have a query for our resident expert.

I grow my spuds in big pots, and all the advice I can find is to plant them in a few inches of soil at the bottom, let them grow, once they get a few inches above ground level, add some more soil and repeat until you get to the top. Been doing it that way for a few years now, and we get spuds, but I'm all for avoiding extra work if I can.
Now, I've never seen the farmer that grows spuds in the field behind my house going around and adding extra soil as his plants grow, so I want to know if it's really neccessary when you grow in pots. Couldn't I just fill the pot to start with and whack a spud in it?

@mudsticks any chance of some free advice, or from any of our spud experts of course.

View attachment 1233
Your friendly local spud farmer does in fact add extra earth up the stem to encourage tubers to form on stolons, as the potato stem grows upwards .

If you start them too deep, in your pot or in the field, the initial shoots will run out of steam before it reaches the light to replenish their energy through photosynthesis via the leaves .

It's called 'earthing up'

And is done with a ridger once the potatoes show green tops a few weeks after planting.

Potatoes are planted in the bottom of a trench, then the ridger goes through so the potatoes end up growing in the ridge.

So you're doing it all right, and that bit of extra work is necessary 👍🏼

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Anyway .

Nuff talk of work.

We're on the ferry!!!

^_^
PXL_20220522_100404951.jpg

Sure it will brighten up later... :rolleyes:

Mugshot

Über Member
Your friendly local spud farmer does in fact add extra earth up the stem to encourage tubers to form on stolons, as the potato stem grows upwards .

If you start them too deep, in your pot or in the field, the initial shoots will run out of steam before it reaches the light to replenish their energy through photosynthesis via the leaves .

It's called 'earthing up'

And is done with a ridger once the potatoes show green tops a few weeks after planting.

Potatoes are planted in the bottom of a trench, then the ridger goes through so the potatoes end up growing in the ridge.

So you're doing it all right, and that bit of extra work is necessary 👍🏼

Well there we go, I've certainly learnt something there!

It'd be much better for me if they did it when I was home from work so I could have seen them doing it, most inconsiderate of them I say.

Well, I know what I'll be doing this afternoon then :okay:

Thank you @mudsticks it's really appreciated.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Well there we go, I've certainly learnt something there!

It'd be much better for me if they did it when I was home from work so I could have seen them doing it, most inconsiderate of them I say.

Well, I know what I'll be doing this afternoon then :okay:

Thank you @mudsticks it's really appreciated.

I know right..
Bleddy farmers..

So selfish..

Welcome to the info - no one's born knowing this stuff right?

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Your next challenge is getting from Stornoway to Harris on The Sabbath :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No problems.

Hitched a lift with a friendly line painter..

First stop Callanish 👍🏼

PXL_20220522_142441133.jpg

Ian H

Guru
I think the correct gender neutral term is 'sheepfighter'.

I'm not necessarily judging it, it was just something that immediately leapt out at me. Personally I don't think they would have referred to a man as 'Mr Surname' and the phrase 'farmer's wife', while being a relevant and technically accurate description, could be considered a bit loaded and brings to mind images of ruddy cheeked rotund ladies in pinafores, chasing mice across the kitchen. Maybe it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

It's interesting to see the gendered terms 'shepherdess', 'farmer's wife' and 'Ms' used in that article.

My mother's 1954 Farmers' Weekly recipe book.
IMG_20220527_201540350.jpg

Top Bottom