The Dishi-Rishi thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
The news here tonight didn't rate Sunak's chances very highly. There may be a short period where an attempt is made to unite behind him, but the ERG wing of the party have already signalled a lack of support. In particular they want the Northern Ireland protocoll torn up despite the fact it is a binding international treaty. Doing so would start a trade war with the EU and the UK is hardly well placed to indulge in this.

They rated him as a pragmatist rather than a populist, but this will not save him from the right-wing ideologues if his pragmatism goes against them.

If they cannot unite behind him it seems to me their unfitness to govern would be beyond dispute, and they should call an election to sort out what they really stand for. The Brexit fiasco was caused by Conservative Party in-fighting, and the country can no longer afford for this to continue, fiddling whilst Rome burns.
Murphy is usually pretty good on the economy side of things. This thread gives the task ahead for Sunak.

View: https://twitter.com/RichardJMurphy/status/1584802990459944960

C R

Über Member
Murphy is usually pretty good on the economy side of things. This thread gives the task ahead for Sunak.

View: https://twitter.com/RichardJMurphy/status/1584802990459944960

TL;DR we are farked.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
One question. Why would someone, with a fortune of 750 million, enter politics? Why would someone that rich put up with the hassle?

Vanity?

Because it's his wifes money and he wants to earn his own......

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
One question. Why would someone, with a fortune of 750 million, enter politics? Why would someone that rich put up with the hassle?

Vanity?

Perhaps, with grotesque wealth comes grotesque hubris, and the arrogance to assume that the ability to enrich oneself gives one the ability to control the lives of others.

Apropos of as much as you want, for those who don't know this is how Sunak became the everyman multimillionaire we all know and love:

Rishi Sunak was part of a small team of hedge fund bosses who shared nearly £100m after an audacious stock market bet that lit the touchpaper on the 2008 financial crisis.
He was a partner at the hedge fund TCI when it launched an activist campaign against the Dutch bank ABN Amro in 2007, resulting in its sale to the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS).
The deal loaded RBS, at the time led by Sir Fred Goodwin, who was stripped of his knighthood in 2012, with crippling debt and led to a £45.5bn government bailout.
Sunak’s time at TCI between 2006 and 2009 made him a multimillionaire in his mid-twenties.
(The Times, February 2020)

C R

Über Member
Perhaps, with grotesque wealth comes grotesque hubris, and the arrogance to assume that the ability to enrich oneself gives one the ability to control the lives of others.

Apropos of as much as you want, for those who don't know this is how Sunak became the everyman multimillionaire we all know and love:

So, Sunak is more to blame for the financial crisis of 2008 than any Labour politician ever was.

Beebo

Veteran
Because it's his wifes money and he wants to earn his own......

He was a multi millionaire before he met his wife. Working as an MP is a huge pay cut for him.
Billionaires tend to marry people who are already very rich.

I don’t know what his motivation is, but it surely isn’t earning his own money.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
OK, who's going to be in and out of the cabinet now Richi's in charge?
Is he going to appease the right with a hard-liner Home Sec?
Kemi Badenoch for Culture-Wars Minister?
Shapps (or whatever he's called this week) remain, Slithey Gove returning as minister for the terminally bewildered, will Rees-Smug get the boot?

D

Deleted member 49

So, Sunak is more to blame for the financial crisis of 2008 than any Labour politician ever was.
Screenshot_20221025-122809.png

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
He was a multi millionaire before he met his wife. Working as an MP is a huge pay cut for him.
Billionaires tend to marry people who are already very rich.

I don’t know what his motivation is, but it surely isn’t earning his own money.

two, 3, 4 million which was it??? certainly nowhere near his wifes wealth

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

Yeah well, I still reckon I was having more fun at the age of 27 than he was.

Top Bottom