Slowly slowly catchy monkey, let's give all our data to a yankee.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

This came up a couple of years ago when publicity was given to "data sharing" of GP data. At the time millions opted out and the scheme was suspended. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/aug/22/nhs-data-grab-on-hold-as-millions-opt-out

The AI technologies are developing at such a speed that within 5-10 years this data is useless as data from smartwatches phones etc. would give a much more accurate picture.
Err, I would doubt this.
I would expect there to be many others in a similar position to my own, where there is information on my NHS record, which is not recorded as data by a smart phone or watch. This could be because it is historical and not reflected in a current condition. However the previous condition may reflect on future treatment.
Alternatively I may not use a device which is capable of recording information which you describe as giving a more accurate picture.

Wobblers

The AI technologies are developing at such a speed that within 5-10 years this data is useless as data from smartwatches phones etc. would give a much more accurate picture.
But yes selling the handling of confidential data to a US company is bad, the should have granted to contract to an UK company so the US company can buy them.

Actually, this isn't true. AI is only the means of processing the data, not of acquiring it. It has no bearing whatsoever as to the value of this data - which, incidentally, is potentially very valuable indeed. Amongst other things, it may be able to predict your risks of getting certain diseases through past conditiions or liefstyle choices: dara you may be quite sure the life insurance industry would be delighted to get hold of.

Also incidentally, this data contains such things as drug use, sexuality and sexual proclivities of every individual. These are things that people are being persecuted over - and in some cases killed - in parts of the world right now. Such data should not be sold, far less simply given to any sort of untrustworthy organisation - which Palantir certain is. Oh... and before anyone goes on about pseudoanonymisation will prevent this, no, it won't. It's trivially easy to reverse pseudoanonymisation, even if it's competently done [1]. All that's needed is to combine this data with other datasets - and that is exactly the business model of Facebook and Google.

[1] Any bets as to how likely this would happen?

Actually, this isn't true. AI is only the means of processing the data, not of acquiring it. It has no bearing whatsoever as to the value of this data - which, incidentally, is potentially very valuable indeed. Amongst other things, it may be able to predict your risks of getting certain diseases through past conditiions or liefstyle choices: dara you may be quite sure the life insurance industry would be delighted to get hold of.

I disagree, AI isn't currently (publicly known) used to acquire data that doesn't mean the technology can't do it or will be much more capable to collect and link in about 5-10 years time like i wrote. (i don't say or claim they currently do it although i would be very surprised if they didn't to be honest)
Also incidentally, this data contains such things as drug use, sexuality and sexual proclivities of every individual. These are things that people are being persecuted over - and in some cases killed - in parts of the world right now.
Again with all the dats technology companies have about us, and with the speed of AI technologies developing do you really think it wouldn't be possible for AI to do this more accurate in about 5-10 years then your medical data?
Such data should not be sold, far less simply given to any sort of untrustworthy organisation - which Palantir certain is.
Agreed it should indeed not be sold, that why i made the joke they should insist on a UK company to buy it so that a US company can buy them. (because that's how it always goes)
Oh... and before anyone goes on about pseudoanonymisation will prevent this, no, it won't. It's trivially easy to reverse pseudoanonymisation, even if it's competently done [1]. All that's needed is to combine this data with other datasets - and that is exactly the business model of Facebook and Google.

[1] Any bets as to how likely this would happen?
agreed dat anonymisation, whatever fancy term they make out of it is not going to work, there is simply to much data to be tracked by to a person.
Yes. you left a few names out of the business model, but Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Philips(very big in medical equipment these days) are heavily involved in this too, that why Windows 12 with rumored AI is so important to Microsoft

All in all it's not getting better at all. But i also don't really see ways to avoid it. Even if you run something like Grapheneos on your phone, ditch smartwatches trackers etc. Install a privacy based linux distribution on your computer(s) use VPN.
What are you gonna do about the police deciding they are going to use AI like technology to ''prevent crime''? (the answer is nothing so all your efforts would then be useless)

D

Deleted member 121

Apple gave themselves permission to ''scan'' your pictures and video's for illegal content years ago, so if anything is to worry about don't use Apple. Similarly since Windows is closed source, there is no extra protection by encrypting anything because the AI can just use the OS to see the encrypted files.(as you have to decrypt them at some point if the AI hasn't seen them before encrypting)
So the story really is, don't use windows or Macos. And use an open source privacy tuned Linux of you're really concerned.

I do use that of Mr Torvald's invention, have done for a number of years. I mentioned it in the other place and i got shot-gunned in face. But when one doesn't understand something, it is often met with indignation and so it was...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
My understanding was that Palantir were going to host the data on their servers, for access by NHS, not that they (Palantir) would OWN the data.

I do realise that this my be splitting hairs in the "possession is 9/10ths of the law" scenario, or, indeed in the event the servers are compromised and data stolen (the latter could just as easily happen no matter where the data is stored).

albion

Guru
Data is money, especially with datekeeper Apple adding on its 30% access charge.
Only a $1.8 billion fine so maybe they are still quids in.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68467752.amp
'Competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager said Apple abused its dominant position in the market for a decade.
She ordered the US tech giant to remove all the restrictions.'

Apple to appeal on the basis of 'no harm done'. As if.

D

Deleted member 121

Use Linux.

Stop giving multi billion dollar companies data for which you are not fairly reimbursed for...

xT5LMpunhsQIS6wHYI.gif

Reactions: C R
Data is money, especially with datekeeper Apple adding on its 30% access charge.
Only a $1.8 billion fine so maybe they are still quids in.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68467752.amp
'Competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager said Apple abused its dominant position in the market for a decade.
She ordered the US tech giant to remove all the restrictions.'

Apple to appeal on the basis of 'no harm done'. As if.
Yeah both Google and apple Abuse their position, not only in this case but the case makes it extra visible. But after a bit of muttering they will agree with the fine, because we will pay it anyway, look at all the commercials, price hikes on all the streaming services, that's the bill for the pandemic server with a ''to improve our service you now pay more and get less'' ''chose super premium no to get all the features we've previously taken away, with some extra ussage limits.. '' and unless we(the population in general) are starting to seriously kick back at this sort of things it will only get worse. Many people are already locked in because they have all there photos in the cloud, vendor locked cloud i should say.
Use Linux.

Stop giving multi billion dollar companies data for which you are not fairly reimbursed for...
You need a whole lot more then just linux(for example Andriod and Chromeos are both technically also linux) to keep away multi million dollar companies, and even then, you can keep then out but for example most councils are not that smart. So then you keep on paying them via your council tax bill.

I do encourage everyone to try and work with for example and smartphone that has been fully de-googled like for example Grapheneos t's amazing how much little things are so much more difficult because of said multi million dollar companies made deals with just about big company to install there apps. Having said that once liberated it's also amazing to see how different your experience can be. Apple users are doomed there is sadly no way to de-applefy an apple phone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121

Yeah both Google and apple Abuse their position, not only in this case but the case makes it extra visible

You need a whole lot more then just linux(for example Andriod and Chromeos are both technically also linux) to keep away multi million dollar companies, and even then, you can keep then out but for example most councils are not that smart. So then you keep on paying them via your council tax bill.

I do encourage everyone to try and work with for example and smartphone that has been fully de-googled like for example Grapheneos t's amazing how much little things are so much more difficult because of said multi million dollar companies made deals with just about big company to install there apps. Having said that once liberated it's also amazing to see how different your experience can be. Apple users are doomed there is sadly no way to de-applefy an apple phone.

Android/google heavily modifies the Linux Kernel but it is not technically wrong what you say.

I know that with the operating system and programs i use on my PC that no telemetry or data is being sent outside of what i want after using a network analyser so that it can be sold to companies for which i receive no compensation. Privacy is not necessarily the angle i tackle this from. I just find it egregious that my internet connection which i pay for is being used without compensation to feed multi billion dollar companies even more profit from the sold data that it has harvested from me through my internet connection.

albion

Guru
It is hardly modified. I think it is all the service APIs andvstuff they add. Play services, location services.
The you get Map and Chrone integration. Google make so much money via ads from its search engine they can ppenness,mandveven to give Apple massive cut in Google search.

Both Google and Apple are monopoly gatekeepers

D

Deleted member 121

It is hardly modified. I think it is all the service APIs andvstuff they add. Play services, location services.
The you get Map and Chrone integration. Google make so much money via ads from its search engine they can ppenness,mandveven to give Apple massive cut in Google search.

In addition to Google services, many drivers are removed, Optimisations specific to the mobile ecosystem such as SD card support and OEM features are maintained and performance and power saving optimisations tailored to System-on-a-Chip hardware. They don't even refer to it as the Linux Kernel, although you can find out what Kernel version they are using, which is usually an older release which has been modified with cherry picked features.

It is a heavily modified version.

In fact, Google are working on their own operating system called Fuchsia which it's Kernel is not based on Linux at all and is called "zircon".

I do however agree with your final sentence.

No it's way before that, as andriod was an existing open source project, play services are googles propriety overlays, that's why those Huawei phones after the ban did still work they just couldn't have play service installed unless via backdoors.
LinageOs, Grapheneos, Calxsos, blissos are all examples of projects based upon andriod sources rather then google's implentation with as result as per standard you often have to flash google apps afterwards or during download get to chose for an image with or without google apps.

Ubuntu for android, firefox OS linux on android all didn't make it(alltough some of these projects still exists) not only due to the lack of an ecosystem but mainly because Andriod is now so far ahead of them in terms of energy saving features drivers, etc. etc. t
Here you see two different google departments working as the ad-revenue department operatives apart from the app/android department, the motivation is not nessacarly add revenue but the revenue they would mis should Apple go to a other party.

Yes as @HMS_Dave pointed out, it's becoming increasingly unlikely that Google will license it's announced Fuchia OS the same way is android is now licensed which in the slightly longer term will make googles new Os the same as apple an standard os with most options to tinker locked down. Just like Apple.. ''Don't be evil'' they said

Top Bottom