Racist Politician

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Personally I'm happy to use whatever term is favoured by the person being described. That could be brown, GMH, or Dave depending on the context.

How do you know what that is though?

"Hello mate, what do you prefer to recognised as this month just in case I offend you or anyone you know"?

Or maybe a badge or id type thing office bods wear stating the latest preference.

All uphill

PGM (People of the Global Majority) and GMH (Global Majority Heritage) are terms that are starting to gain ground. I find the latter less clumsy. Both, I think, are designed to recognise that 'minority' carries some baggage.

Personally I'm happy to use whatever term is favoured by the person being described. That could be brown, GMH, or Dave depending on the context.

I'd prefer you to call me " My Lord" ^_^

How do you know what that is though?

"Hello mate, what do you prefer to recognised as this month just in case I offend you or anyone you know"?

Or maybe a badge or id type thing office bods wear stating the latest preference.

If I use a term and I’m told it is unwelcome I will stop and ask what they would prefer, recognising that other people may have different opinions. It’s not that hard to listen respectfully, is it? What do I lose by doing so?

matticus

Guru
If I use a term and I’m told it is unwelcome I will stop and ask what they would prefer, recognising that other people may have different opinions. It’s not that hard to listen respectfully, is it? What do I lose by doing so?

Yes, I'd go along with that. Genuinely. Works fine with friends/colleagues.

The problem is that too often the complaints are not from those being described; they are from self-appointed language police of some variety. And then there are public statements, or interviews. Is there opportunity to ask all/some of those described? Oh dear, there wasn't time, now everyone's baying for your blood, and you're sacked. (Even though you were making a statement about the progress of some project helping the very people who might have been offended, some of whom you might know quite well and never had a problem with. Except they weren't - it was the language police who claimed offence ... )

D

Deleted member 28

If you think about it, it will always be someone else trying to make the rules because we're referring to a third person.

If for example we're describing a 'black' fella to someone unless that person is also black then they don't know, and how often does that happen.

Who actually comes up these names anyway and who decides when they're no longer 'appropriate '.

Why is 'coloured' any worse or better than 'person of colour' for example, clearly names meant as an insult have always been meant that way but for example half caste is now wrong but was never meant as a slur.

We really need someone with first hand experience to comment not just a bunch of pasty, white mincers like us lot.

matticus

Guru
An example or two of when this has actually happened might be illustrative.

I thought about this for a bit ...

... and then I remembered how you got your SIg. And oh, how well deserved it is, even now!

I shall look for someone more productive to debate these matters with, don't take it personally. x

I thought about this for a bit ...

... and then I remembered how you got your SIg. And oh, how well deserved it is, even now!

I shall look for someone more productive to debate these matters with, don't take it personally. x

Yes, it‘s surprisingly hard to find genuine examples, isn’t it?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
PGM (People of the Global Majority) and GMH (Global Majority Heritage) are terms that are starting to gain ground. I find the latter less clumsy. Both, I think, are designed to recognise that 'minority' carries some baggage.

So.. how do you know what the person being described “prefers”?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It’s not as challenging as you seem to want it to be. How do your acquaintances know your preferences?

True, easy enough when dealing with acquaintances, perhaps, but, does all of your communication involve only ‘describing’ your acquaintances?

True, easy enough when dealing with acquaintances, perhaps, but, does all of your communication involve only ‘describing’ your acquaintances?

Look, if you use a term that’s outdated or unwelcome but with obvious good intent the worst that is likely to happen is that someone might gently explain their preference. You may even learn something helpful or interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom