Times article about a racist old drunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
6 millions deaths in the Holocaust and a series of campaigns of genocide actually happened though, didn't they? I wish the figures were hyperbolic. What's hyperbolic is comparing Churchill, for all his faults, his racism, his responsibility for many, many deaths, and atrocious behaviour on other counts, to the instigator of those events.

You could take it down a notch and just compare him to Pol Pot, I suppose....

multitool

Shaman
Or you could bring yourself back down to earth and consider that given the context of this discussion, which is about Churchill the Saint versus Churchill the reality, his views on racial superiority align with Hitler's hence the quote.

You won't, of course, because you can't help yourself.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Do they align though? His views seem old school Empire racist .... patronising colonialism in which the British were a superior civilising influence. Horrible but not the same as the wipe-them-all-off-the-face-of-the-earth Hitler Aryan superiority. We've detoured enough though so we'll have to agree to disagree on them being as racist as each other.

multitool

Shaman
I didn't say they were as racist as each other.

I said "he wasn't so very far away from his vaunted enemy".

Let me explain to you what this doesn't mean. It doesn't mean he was identical. I doesn't mean he was even near.

You can't help yourself can you. Its your usual party trick of misrepresenting what somebody has said and constructing a straw man.

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
Near, not far away?

Come along Toolze old chap. Just admit that you weren't quite as clear as you might have been.
Churchill was a racist.
Hitler was on another level.

I didn't say he was near. I didn't say he was on the same level. I said, and I quote, "he wasn't so very far away".

The meaning of this phrase, by definition, is that he is not on the same level. The implication, and the reason for the choice of phrase, is that he was far nearER than his supporters would like to admit.

Which he was.

HTH.

Last edited:
Top Bottom