Poppies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I predict fireworks :biggrin: :biggrin: ha ha ha!

Please will mudders explain this joke?

multitool

Shaman
Screenshot_20231105_212957_Samsung Internet.jpg

mudsticks

Squire
View attachment 4920

Not sure if you're familiar with the UK, so HTH.

May or may not be familiar..

Anyhoo up this is what Nov 5th looks like round our way..

Do we light a wee fire over there >>>
and go "ooh" and "aah" over a few desultory bangers??

Why would you do that, when instead, you can set fire to tar coated barrels and port them through the throng til well gone midnight ?? 🙄

Screenshot_20231106-085301.png

mudsticks

Squire
I kinda like that! Great photo....

I'm kinda conflicted..
Clearly it's a great night of unbridled, yet generally genial chaos of the most inflammatory sort..

But oh dear the particulates!!! 🙄

Photo by a friend who takes pictures for a living 🙏🏼

Above event is why my first born 'was' born on the 6th November 🌈

Never mind curries, there's nothing like a bit of a friendly ruckus for encouraging babies to come join the fun on the 'outside'.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
These crazy SW winter rituals ... I view them a little like bull-fighting (and other weird 5hit done in faraway places):
I'm not 100% happy that people do these things, but I would REALLY like to watch it happening one day. Whilst of course respecting local - sometime ancient - traditional cultures 😇

Beebo

Veteran
A lot of the meaning for these things is lost in time. Is it still associated with the burning of catholics?
We used to make and burn a guy at school in the 1980s. No one batted an eyelid that we were burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes, a Catholic terrorist or freedom fighter depending on your point of view.

mudsticks

Squire
These crazy SW winter rituals ... I view them a little like bull-fighting (and other weird 5hit done in faraway places):
I'm not 100% happy that people do these things, but I would REALLY like to watch it happening one day. Whilst of course respecting local - sometime ancient - traditional cultures 😇

It's free* for anyone to attend - just don't try to get involved with the barrels themselves - 'the committee' ie the gang doing it take rather quick and direct counter measures..

Maybe start with watching the kids barrels (8 years and upwards) at 4pm then see how you feel about staying on.

*So long as you don't drive in, local farmers make a bit of cash on the side charging for letting people park in their fields.

A lot of the meaning for these things is lost in time. Is it still associated with the burning of catholics?
We used to make and burn a guy at school in the 1980s. No one batted an eyelid that we were burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes, a Catholic terrorist or freedom fighter depending on your point of view.

All kinds of stories circulate as to justify 'why'.
But in truth its mainly a combination of
"Setting fire to sh*t, and being dangerous with it is a bit of a laugh" combined with
"You've gotta make your own fun in the country"

The carnival (as in lit up floats of highly questionable taste) used to go through town on the same night as all this was going on - then the 'fun sponges' separated the two out some years back.. On an 'elf and safety gawn mad' basis 🙄

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
They'll be on the list of hate marchers next :sad:

Or failing that, fall under:
“extremism” to include anyone who “undermines” Britain and its institution.

IMO the ordinary red poppy is the right way to go, but I do respect the aims of the white poppy wearers. (if you get arrested, I will be happy to Call Out the police on social media!)

Top Bottom