Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well yes, in theory, but as we know our elections tend to be won or lost on things that favour individual self interest such as promises of tax cuts etc..

That's not something exclusive to the UK electorate of course.
The EU is for all it's faults, in many ways an expression of our collective 'better selves'
I agree that the concept of the EU is a good one in many ways.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I agree that the concept of the EU is a good one in many ways.

Oooooh quite the controversialist.. :rolleyes:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It would be perfect if he had literally stepped in shoot of his own making but as I understand it from a quick look at his website and Wikipedia entry he’s one of the (relatively) saner Tories still in the party.
Yeah I thought that too but there's still the point that by his membership of the party he implicitly supports and endorses those less sane. The whole Brexit project was an exercise in appeasement that landed all of us in the shoot.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
When you say 'the EU gave us' things then I worry, because the EU might not always give us anything. It looks liberal enough now, but I think it is moving to the right far more inexorably than the UK population as a whole.
Member States causing problems at the moment with regard to the independence of the judiciary and freedom of the press are Hungary and Poland. The EU is the entity that has sanctions against this happening, and is standing in the breach against this tendency, which in this case involves right-wing governments.

The current UK govt, whilst not wanting to abrogate the rule of law, is trying to make itself less accountable and to pass legislation that would curtail ancient freedoms such as the right to protest.
Anybody in need of a Brexit metaphor?
In the context of what you posted, how about mind your Q's and P's? ^_^

Mugshot

Über Member
That's very good actually.
I can't work out if this is genuine admiration, surprise, or said through gritted teeth. Perhaps all 3.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Boris Johnson to try to regain control with Brexit bill and policy blitz

On Monday, Johnson is announcing plans for legislation to make it easier to rip up EU regulations and protections, after criticism from Conservative MPs that the government has not taken sufficient advantage of Brexit.

Wave goodbye to worker and consumer rights as we know them.

Will they be replaced by something better? I think you know the answer to that.

Top Bottom