Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I think we agree, mostly, but even in the olden days mobile phone quality could be iffy. And who has a landline, at least with a working phone plugged in, in 2022?

Erm, I do. 👋

Although not for long. As I mentioned on a thread in the CC forum; the UK's PSTN is being switched off in December 2025 and everyone will have to move to digital, either mobile phones or voice over IP, as landlines will be defunct. There will be no more ADSL or FTTC broadband either as these need a working landline.

Erm, I do. 👋

Although not for long. As I mentioned on a thread in the CC forum; the UK's PSTN is being switched off in December 2025 and everyone will have to move to digital, either mobile phones or voice over IP, as landlines will be defunct. There will be no more ADSL or FTTC broadband either as these need a working landline.
As I understand it the twisted pair to many homes will remain for some time and continue to carry ADSL. It's the PSTN that's going, i.e. circuit switched audio on the wires, not necessarily the wires themselves.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
As I understand it the twisted pair to many homes will remain for some time and continue to carry ADSL. It's the PSTN that's going, i.e. circuit switched audio on the wires, not necessarily the wires themselves.

Seems a reasonable assumption, cannot imagine an investment programme to replace the cabling. to every premises in UK?

Quite apart from the cost, there would be massive disruption, recently, Virgin Media have been extending their fibre cabling, in the area I live. Roads and footpaths dug up everywhere, gas mains severed, electric power supply cable severed, complaints about the quality of the "re-instatement". Not a pretty sight.

Really public broadcasting needs to be made safe from ministerial interference.

By having a renewable charter, an independent board of governors, a publicly accountable regulator, and a hypothecated tax to fund them perhaps? Ministers find ways to interfere with and control every one of those.

By having a renewable charter, an independent board of governors, a publicly accountable regulator, and a hypothecated tax to fund them perhaps? Ministers find ways to interfere with and control every one of those.

Given the current levels of talent in the government, I'd be surprised if any of them could find the BBC on their telly box....

I can’t help being suspicious that the forthcoming evisceration of BBC local radio - redundancy, fire and rehire - is partly driven by the pointed questioning of Liz Truss a few short weeks ago.

38F46440-6E71-4618-A123-277D2BDD1B3C.jpeg

albion

Guru
The problem for the BBC is that current conservatism is possibly at its most corrupt in history.
So to be none corrupt how can one show lack of bias when there is only one real corrupt player in the ball field?

We got that with Brexit to our detriment. And again, the right wing ignore the fact that free TV licenses ceased to be paid for the government resulting in a massive financial deficit to the BBC.

It continues for the BBC that being unbiased supports corruption.

presta

From what I gather, the World Service is highly valued across much of the world by the people who don't have an impartial independent broadcaster of their own, I'd like to think that there are still enough people here who don't take that for granted. I sometimes wonder whether foriegners rate VOA as being as impartial by comparison.

Top Bottom