Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We all pay towards loads of services we will probably never use but it benefits society.

I didn't say I was against the idea, simply pointing out, when a similar strategy was tried, to fund Local Government Services, it didn't go down well.

I don't personally have anything against the idea of substituting a ring fenced tax to replace the TV Licence, if we have to pay one or the other.

I would like to see some mechanism to reign in waste and excess within the BBC. Yes, I do know there are many other people with their noses firmly in the trough, I just don't see that as a. reason not ton try and put a stop to it.

I would like to see some mechanism to reign in waste and excess within the BBC.
Do you not think those mechanisms exist already, even if imperfect? Do you think waste is better or worse in the BBC when compared with any other large (public) organisation?

Maybe I should declare an interest. I used to work for the BBC many years ago. The reason I don’t any longer is that they decided that paying me and most of my colleagues at the time was wasteful and excessive. Looking back, they were probably right.

FishFright

I've not had a tv for years and gave up the BBC when the Iplayer went behind the fee wall.

I can't say I've missed it much , even less so nowadays as there is whole internet full of stuff keeping me entertained.

The licence fee and beeb are like smoking , you keep on paying for something you rarely enjoy and once you stop you find you don't miss it much, if at all .

It's typical right wing, populist nonsense typical of a right wing, populist Gov.

For example, 'My children are all grown up/I have no children so why should I pay for children's health services in the NHS?'

If they don't use a service, they hate contributing to it despite that service being beneficial to the whole country. But, these kind of people, and their supporters, are not known for logical thinking.

mudsticks

Squire
It's typical right wing, populist nonsense typical of a right wing, populist Gov.

For example, 'My children are all grown up/I have no children so why should I pay for children's health services in the NHS?'

If they don't use a service, they hate contributing to it despite that service being beneficial to the whole country. But, these kind of people, and their supporters, are not known for logical thinking.

Yes it is, just that..

I don't have a telly but have seen a few good things on i player now and then 😇

But imagine losing R4 or 6 Music.??? :eek:

They've been the soundtrack to our lives for many a year.

BoldonLad

Do you not think those mechanisms exist already, even if imperfect? Do you think waste is better or worse in the BBC when compared with any other large (public) organisation?

Maybe I should declare an interest. I used to work for the BBC many years ago. The reason I don’t any longer is that they decided that paying me and most of my colleagues at the time was wasteful and excessive. Looking back, they were probably right.

If the mechanisms exist, they are less than perfect.

In my experience, EVERY organisation (public or private) has waste. Private organisations (unless they are monopolies) have a degree of control built in, if they become too wasteful/inefficient, a competitor will 'steal" their market. There is no such built in control for public enterprises.

mudsticks

Squire
If the mechanisms exist, they are less than perfect.

In my experience, EVERY organisation (public or private) has waste. Private organisations (unless they are monopolies) have a degree of control built in, if they become too wasteful/inefficient, a competitor will 'steal" their market. There is no such built in control for public enterprises.

There is the built in control that they only have a certain budget allocated to them .

The BBC does a lot of things, and has obligations to provide services that wouldn't necessarily be viable in a purely commercial market.

But that's not to say they're not valuable.

Why does the value of everything have to be measured momentarily .??

I know - because Tories, because freearket capitalism, because race to the bottom on integrity.

In my experience, EVERY organisation (public or private) has waste.
I agree, I think it’s simply human nature at work. I therefore have to wonder why the BBC comes in for such particular criticism. Could it be because they are capable of asking powerful people to publicly account for themselves and their actions?

See also the plans to destroy Channel 4.

BoldonLad

There is the built in control that they only have a certain budget allocated to them .

The BBC does a lot of things, and has obligations to provide services that wouldn't necessarily be viable in a purely commercial market.

But that's not to say they're not valuable.

Why does the value of everything have to be measured momentarily .??

I know - because Tories, because freearket capitalism, because race to the bottom on integrity.

That only controls how much they spend, not how wisely or efficiently they spend it.

I didn't say everything had to be measured in monetary terms, but, we were talking about BBC funding, which does sort of hint at money.

BoldonLad

I agree, I think it’s simply human nature at work. I therefore have to wonder why the BBC comes in for such particular criticism. Could it be because they are capable of asking powerful people to publicly account for themselves and their actions?

Criticism from "powerful" people, I would a agree to an extent, is self interest, I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about the "Public view" of The BBC.

mudsticks

Squire

I think that's very possibly why.
Imo we need more 'awkward' people asking awkward questions.

it's also worthwhile considering the nature of 'waste' particularly when we're dealing with creative projects, things morph over time, one idea sparks another.
That only controls how much they spend, not how wisely or efficiently they spend it.

I didn't say everything had to be measured in monetary terms, but, we were talking about BBC funding, which does sort of hint at money.

Well of course, but your idea of wisely and efficiently , may not be mine.
Some BBC output is unmitigated tosh (imho) but other people like / value it.

Anyway this is just another bit of Tory dead cat / red meat to try to distract us from the slobbering labrador and the very chilling lurch into authoritarianism that is the Police and Crime Bill.”

Criticism from "powerful" people, I would a agree to an extent, is self interest, I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about the "Public view" of The BBC.
I believe that the public view is capable of being influenced by those with more particular self interest, otherwise why the focus on the BBC?

The drip-drip of poison worked for Brexit. This is similar, and directed by the same people.

Top Bottom