Is the Green Agenda the new battleground for Brexiteers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Just watched Greta Thunberg arriving in Glasgow and feel her handlers really need a sharp kick up the backside.
OK, so when it comes to saving a planet she's carrying a handicap in not being a a scowly young man slowly waking to his messianic destiny, sure, but even so could they not persuade her to master a few martial arts moves, cop off with some beautiful dark skinned young indigene and ride into Dodge on a bloody great sandworm?
It's hardly rocket science.

Sorry love that's my script, already taken for next week. :okay:

Meanwhile in the Bexley by election Richard Tice for Reform (the latest iteration of the Farage party) is campaigning for a referendum on the 2050 target for zero carbon. I wonder whether Tory hangers on might try and drag that into the mainstream?

mudsticks

Squire
Meanwhile in the Bexley by election Richard Tice for Reform (the latest iteration of the Farage party) is campaigning for a referendum on the 2050 target for zero carbon. I wonder whether Tory hangers on might try and drag that into the mainstream?

Maybe he wants to bring the date forward to a more sensible 2030..

Reality doesn’t give a damn about silly opinion polls.

mjr

@mjr, I'm looking through all the latest reviews of ashps now for a small stone built [domestic] conversion... could I ask which make and model have you got? [PM if preferred].
I've only used Husqvarna units on an off-gas village social housing scheme which was a few years ago now so technology has changed massively!.
Mitsubishi Ecodan 8kW. The actual model number is something long that I cannot remember readily. I've read that it's not that clever technologically except for the controller but it is quiet, which was one of our priorities. As far as I can recall, Husqvarna wasn't offered by any installers in this area who I found who looked much good, so I can't compare it to them.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Blimey, the only people mentioned in that article with any dignity seem to be Bolton Wanderers FC.

And freer happier citizens
How do you define freer though? From some people I've talked to, the idea of being "forced" to go green means that they'll be less free to live life as they would wish. I've heard many a conversation about how futile and impossible some electric charging points will be in everyday homes, same goes for heat pumps (from professinoals of the trade). I'm not saying I agree, but there is definately a large cloud of disengagement in the public air. I think lots of people are willing to make changes for the greener future, until it either costs them money or time, or eats into the habits and routines that they've grown used to.

mudsticks

Squire
How do you define freer though? From some people I've talked to, the idea of being "forced" to go green means that they'll be less free to live life as they would wish. I've heard many a conversation about how futile and impossible some electric charging points will be in everyday homes, same goes for heat pumps (from professinoals of the trade). I'm not saying I agree, but there is definately a large cloud of disengagement in the public air. I think lots of people are willing to make changes for the greener future, until it either costs them money or time, or eats into the habits and routines that they've grown used to.
Well I could start with something grandiose like what about future generations being free to exist on a habitable planet..
Including future generations of other species..

Tbh regarding disengagement over matters environmental it's much much better nowadays than it ever was before..

Hardly anyone denies that climate change is real, and happening now.

Yes a portion of the GP moan and grumble .
That's ok it's a fairly low cost , low carbon hobby that keeps people entertained.

Thirty years ago I got laughed at for talking about organic / minimal tillage / reducing or eliminating pesticides and toxins in the environment.

When me and my mates were setting up early recycling schemes, camping in trees to draw attention to the folly of more roadbuilding, campaigning against environmental destruction, talking about consequences for the global south etc etc, we were barely noticed..

And if we were, at all it was always the unwashed rabble, with crazy ideas, funny shoes and dreadlocks etc etc.

Nowadays the way I farm, and recycle, and compost, try to save energy, plant trees, buy green electric, don't fly, buy secondhand, engage in various campaigns and activism and all that , barely raises an eyebrow, it's all pretty normal mainstream stuff nowadays really.

Sure some of the new tech we need to adopt isn't all plain sailing straightaway, and some of it doesn't quite hit the mark.

But that's always so, then it swiftly becomes the 'new normal'

Some things are cynically adopted and exploited as greenwash by big corps.

And false solutions are promoted.

We should have been making bigger changes long ago, but all kinds of vested interest stood in the way.

And yes Caroline Lucas is spot on , climate justice, and social justice are inextricably linked.

Which is one of many reasons that ultra right-wingers, and proponents of unchecked capitalism don't want to see many.of the changes required to tackle climate change..

D

Deleted member 49

Or as it used to be called - getting caught cottaging.
Totally off topic sorry ! but my daughter was trying to explain something to me that she'd seen on tv....
"Dad what's that thing that people do when the car steams up"
Me no idea !
"You do when it steams up and the car rocks"
Can't tell you how we came to the answer Dogging ! But that was it.
Feck knows what she's been watching......

Top Bottom