"F*ck the Tories!" A thread dedicated to Nadine Dorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I confess to being unfamiliar with the process of resigning as an MP. I have read that the resignation cannot come into effect until Parliament reassembles. So, 11 weeks to resign immediately, followed by a resignation that doesn't take effect until after the holidays.....

Meanwhile, I haven't seen the full resignation letter apart from in the Daily Mail. So hold your noses or hone your google-fu.... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...its-Commons-seat-resignation-letter-full.html

Full text here.

View: https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1695503577681150291?t=L6g-auloIL5Wc081s8rVCg&s=19

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Word is that she hasn't even written to the PM. Her 'letter' has only been published in the Mail which was how Sunak first became aware of it. I don't know how true that is but it seems plausible, it was obviously intended for publication. She's basically pitching for a job.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Word is that she hasn't even written to the PM. Her 'letter' has only been published in the Mail which was how Sunak first became aware of it. I don't know how true that is but it seems plausible, it was obviously intended for publication. She's basically pitching for a job.

And there's no certainty that she's written to the Chancellor of the Blankchequer.

She's been out on the interview round claiming that she's been threatened over her inactivity as an MP. Apparently that's Sunak's fault for telling her she should go and go now. She can't go now she says as the Commons is in recess and a by election writ cannot be moved.

That's true but not the point. If she'd gone immediately as she said she would it'd all be over by now. She resigns by taking an office of profit under the Crown. That's achieved by appointment to the position of Steward and Bailiff of either the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead. She'd apply for be appointed to whichever has been held for longer by its current incumbent. I think that's the Chiltern Hundreds where she'll displace BoJO.....

The Crofted Crest

She resigns by taking an office of profit under the Crown. That's achieved by appointment to the position of Steward and Bailiff of either the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead. She'd apply for be appointed to whichever has been held for longer by its current incumbent.

Oughtn't this to be in the Normal Island thread?

ebikeerwidnes

When does the doubling of exit payments for MPs and their staff take effect? Does it apply if they stand down or only if they are defeated?

Not sure - but I think they need to keep going until the end and not stand again - or get defeated -
rather than resign, not resign, dither, moan, complain, then resign by press and - possibly - also a letter to the wrong person followed by attacking the current leader because he isn;t the one you fancy and doesn;t have gorgeous bouncy blond hair ***
I think

*** but probably doesn;t include Michael fabricate

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
When does the doubling of exit payments for MPs and their staff take effect? Does it apply if they stand down or only if they are defeated?

“Previously, only those who lost their seat at a general election, or who stood down at a "snap" election, could qualify for the extra pay.
But following the end of five-year fixed term parliaments, all MPs who are standing down at an election will now qualify.”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66612463

Top Bottom