But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
He'd be down by Kilimbi pier
Drinking tubes of ice cold beer,
With a bucketful of prawns upon his knee.
When he'd swallow the last prawn
He'd have a technicolour yawn
And he'd chunder in old Lake Kiyu. [this neither rhymes nor scans, Ed.]

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Are you similarly squeamish about the wages of the 'sins of the fathers' being visited on you?
My ancestors have been traced back to 1717, and were almost certainly farm labourers prior to my grandfather who had a working class industrial job. So I am not a direct recipient of wealth going back to rank exploitation 200 or more years ago.
Nobody says you are personally responsible for the sins of the past, although you may well have derived some benefit or advantage, and that is worth recognition.
This is, however, fair comment.
Well despite trying to draw out to the bigger picture here you're reducing the the whole thing to absolute binaries
Life is full of binaries - light and dark, truth and error, acid and alkali, male and female, that sort of thing. To which you will either agree or disagree.
Suggesting that if not 'all' poc or other groups are oppressed, or discriminated against 'all' of the time, then no one from those groups can claim they ever are.
No, I'm doing the opposite. I'm rejecting identity politics for the very reason you give here. Historically many (most even) of some minorities have been discriminated against or oppressed, but not all. This is less true today, but I am not denying it does still happen. It is not a 'sin' to be a white heterosexual male even if historically some have been cruel and exploitative, and some still are.

I am also, if you enjoy irony, rejecting a binary here that minority = good, and white = bad. There is racial prejudice of Asian against black, western Europeans against eastern Europeans. Upper class women have exploited lower class men and women. The native black population of west Africa was party to the slave trade.
Since then, despite all that Ms Fulani has received further hateful messages from others seeking to denigrate her.
That is just plain wrong, as in morally wrong.

You alluded to the bible upthread, so I am going to quote a bit!

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; there then follows a list which includes revilers. 'Verbal abusers' would be more modern parlance. Character assassination, insults and rumour mongering. Cancelling. So what you see on social media could have eternal consequences! It also shows if this was a problem in 1st century Greece we have not evolved/been able to eliminate it in the meantime.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Happy to, in the same way that I would agree to disagree that the world is flat. It's a bit pedantic of you to pull up Unkraut on facts if you are going to refute him with non factual examples though.

D

Deleted member 28

mudsticks

Squire
My ancestors have been traced back to 1717, and were almost certainly farm labourers prior to my grandfather who had a working class industrial job. So I am not a direct recipient of wealth going back to rank exploitation 200 or more years ago.

This is, however, fair comment.

Life is full of binaries - light and dark, truth and error, acid and alkali, male and female, that sort of thing. To which you will either agree or disagree.

No, I'm doing the opposite. I'm rejecting identity politics for the very reason you give here. Historically many (most even) of some minorities have been discriminated against or oppressed, but not all. This is less true today, but I am not denying it does still happen. It is not a 'sin' to be a white heterosexual male even if historically some have been cruel and exploitative, and some still are.

I am also, if you enjoy irony, rejecting a binary here that minority = good, and white = bad. There is racial prejudice of Asian against black, western Europeans against eastern Europeans. Upper class women have exploited lower class men and women. The native black population of west Africa was party to the slave trade.

That is just plain wrong, as in morally wrong.

You alluded to the bible upthread, so I am going to quote a bit!

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; there then follows a list which includes revilers. 'Verbal abusers' would be more modern parlance. Character assassination, insults and rumour mongering. Cancelling. So what you see on social media could have eternal consequences! It also shows if this was a problem in 1st century Greece we have not evolved/been able to eliminate it in the meantime.
If you reject 'identity politics' (and of course we might need to define that thing more clearly) , but at the same time you concede that unfair discrimination still occurs against certain groups of people, then you are effectively rejecting the idea that we need to do more and better to rid society of that discrimination.

Basically you're saying that yes unfair discrimination occurs, but no you don't want policies, or politics to actually tackle that.

No one here has said to my knowledge that all white people are bad, nor that all poc are good. That's a straw man argument you seem to keep trying to slide into the conversation.

The white privelege thing arises from a historical situation where 'whiteness is superior' was the prevalent thinking , and the actions and neglect arose from that erroneous belief, still to this day, many poc are discriminated against purely because of the colour of their skin or ethnicity, this is a measurable and evidenced fact.

Not enough has yet been done to counter those attitudes, nor to correct the injustices done (eg racism in the police force) therefore we are going to need 'identity politics' until these injustices are properly put right.

Same with stuff like patriachal control, historically being handed to (roughly) one half of the population.

Hence we still need feminism to remind us of, and pursue the need for true equality between the sexes..

Same same, LGBTQ+ rights, disability rights, tackling economic injustice and all the rest of it. Hence the need for intersectional feminism

Life isn't really that 'full' of binaries at all, it's generally far more complicated and nuanced than that.

Of course many of prefer more 'black vs white, absolute cetainties 'thinking' as in truth it kind of obviates the need for much thinking at all..

Last edited:
Top Bottom