Arthur Labinjo-Hughes: A life cut short by cruelty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
FWIW here's Joshua Rozenberg on the sentences:

https://rozenberg.substack.com/p/how-sentencing-works
Numbers can sort of lose meaning sometimes. I find it helps to consider my own situation when putting sentences* into context. Twenty-nine years ago I was just starting my GCSEs, so a sentence of that length given then would be the entirety of my adult life so far, plus a few years. In twenty-nine years time I will be past retirement age so a sentence of that length given now means I would only see freedom as an old man, if at all. I believe the convicted woman is about thirty years old so her sentence is equivalent to her entire lifetime so far and about a third of a good human lifespan. If she is released after that time she'll be about sixty years old.

That doesn't seem lenient to me, that seems like an awfully long time. Who else can remember what they were doing twenty-nine years ago, or think where they might be in twenty-nine years time?

Even fourteen years, which sounds like a small number, if you remove it from the abstract and apply it to your own life, may seem like a very long time indeed.

Of course one may consider all that and still decide it's not long enough but I think it helps to consider it in this sort of way.

*tariffs/whatever

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Numbers can sort of lose meaning sometimes. I find it helps to consider my own situation when putting sentences* into context. Twenty-nine years ago I was just starting my GCSEs, so a sentence of that length given then would be the entirety of my adult life so far, plus a few years. In twenty-nine years time I will be past retirement age so a sentence of that length given now means I would only see freedom as an old man, if at all. I believe the convicted woman is about thirty years old so her sentence is equivalent to her entire lifetime so far and about a third of a good human lifespan. If she is released after that time she'll be about sixty years old.

That doesn't seem lenient to me, that seems like an awfully long time. Who else can remember what they were doing twenty-nine years ago, or think where they might be in twenty-nine years time?

Even fourteen years, which sounds like a small number, if you remove it from the abstract and apply it to your own life, may seem like a very long time indeed.

Of course one may consider all that and still decide it's not long enough but I think it helps to consider it in this sort of way.

*tariffs/whatever

Isn't at least part of the objective to keep the rest of us (especially children, in this instance) safe?

There was a rather sad case, just a few streets away from where I live, where an individual, convicted of manslaughter, who had served his sentence, then, went on to kill his new partner.

icowden

Legendary Member
I believe the convicted woman is about thirty years old so her sentence is equivalent to her entire lifetime so far and about a third of a good human lifespan. If she is released after that time she'll be about sixty years old.

That is, of course, if she survives the length of her prison stay. I'm not sure that her arrival will be well received given the nature of her offence.

winjim

Isn't at least part of the objective to keep the rest of us (especially children, in this instance) safe?

There was a rather sad case, just a few streets away from where I live, where an individual, convicted of manslaughter, who had served his sentence, then, went on to kill his new partner.
Indeed, and that's something the parole board will have to consider at the appropriate time, including setting the terms of her licence if she is to be released. However, I interpret the term 'leniency' as relating to punishment, which was the context of my post.
That is, of course, if she survives the length of her prison stay. I'm not sure that her arrival will be well received given the nature of her offence.
I accept that I may be in a minority in hoping that the prison service does its job in protecting her and ensuring that she is treated with compassion.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

In the case of the woman she is very unlikely to come out of jail at 60+ and take on the role of parenting, or even looking after, a child. This was a terrible crime for which she deserves the sentence she got, or even longer, but her sentence does keep the rest of us, especially children, safe, unless of course it can be shown she had a history of terrible violence, and consideration in 29 years time shows she is likely to re-offend.

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

I'm suggesting it might be a factor contributing to his being resented by his stepmother and his father.

If you want to call that victim blaming then that's your call.

If that sounds harsh I'm sorry but it'd not really something we can debate.

Let's see what the inquiries come up with. Media coverage this morning suggests that the Local Safeguarding Board will report soon.
It is victim blaming.

So, what were his bad behaviors and where do you evidence this from, I've seen nothing that would mark him as a problem child? If there isn't any then I wonder why you are bringing it into the debate.

Now, I have no evidence of his being a bad child, and even if he was he should not have been murdered for it. That said, I would imagine that after months of abuse, and torture his spirit would have been broken, I imagine (and this is opinion) he would have pretty much done anything they said to... make it stop

It is victim blaming.

So, what were his bad behaviors and where do you evidence this from, I've seen nothing that would mark him as a problem child? If there isn't any then I wonder why you are bringing it into the debate.

Now, I have no evidence of his being a bad child, and even if he was he should not have been murdered for it. That said, I would imagine that after months of abuse, and torture his spirit would have been broken, I imagine (and this is opinion) he would have pretty much done anything they said to... make it stop

As I've already said 'victim blaming' is your call. I beg to differ.

I didn't suggest he was a bad child but speculated that, based on the history, that it would not be surprising if he could have been, for want of a better phrase' hard work.

No suggestion that somehow he brought it on himself which seem to be the emotion you are trying to attribute to me.

D

Deleted member 28

I accept that I may be in a minority in hoping that the prison service does its job in protecting her and ensuring that she is treated with compassion.
Never worked in a Prison or know anyone who has I take it?

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

I didn't suggest he was a bad child but speculated that, based on the history, that it would not be surprising if he could have been, for want of a better phrase' hard work.

So no evidence then, as you say, speculation. So why are you bringing it into the debate and in doing so (intentionally or not) mitigating the actions of his abusers/murderer.

No suggestion that somehow he brought it on himself which seem to be the emotion you are trying to attribute to me.
Does not suggesting he was 'hard work' not allude to if he wasn't then perhaps he may not be dead?

So no evidence then, as you say, speculation. So why are you bringing it into the debate and in doing so (intentionally or not) mitigating the actions of his abusers/murderer.

Does not suggesting he was 'hard work' not allude to if he wasn't then perhaps he may not be dead?

Somebody asked how the Stepmother and Father could treat one child as they did while torturing and killing Arthur.

I suggested some answers.

That's all.

If you want the last word you can have it.

winjim

Never worked in a Prison or know anyone who has I take it?
Colleague of mine's husband is a prison officer as it happens. Why, are you suggesting that the prison service is unable to carry out its role in the manner I am suggesting? Or unwilling? Either is problematic.

D

Deleted member 28

Colleague of mine's husband is a prison officer as it happens. Why, are you suggesting that the prison service is unable to carry out its role in the manner I am suggesting? Or unwilling? Either is problematic.
Ask your mate's Husband, I'm sure there are Prisons where these sort of inmates will be treated with compassion and understanding (maybe even empathy as I know you love that one on here) and shown the love and care they deserve but hopefully they won't be going to one of those.

Ask your mate's Husband, I'm sure there are Prisons where these sort of inmates will be treated with compassion and understanding (maybe even empathy as I know you love that one on here) and shown the love and care they deserve but hopefully they won't be going to one of those.

The Prison Service and its contractors running private gaols have a long history of losing damages cases where prisoners have been allowed to be assaulted.

Top Bottom