Arthur Labinjo-Hughes: A life cut short by cruelty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

The possibility that a child who's life to date was traumatic might have required a lot of caring for isn't victim blaming.
Unless you are/were intimating that his need for care was a contributing factor in his death, are you?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The usual pointless gathering of “friends” and “neighbours” on BBC News. A nice collection of litter (balloons) released. Pity they did nothing when it may have done him some good.

D

Deleted member 49

The usual pointless gathering of “friends” and “neighbours” on BBC News. A nice collection of litter (balloons) released. Pity they did nothing when it may have done him some good.
As in what ? Do you genuinely think any of them knew of the horror that would happen ? There again you could say a fair few of them probally voted Tory so knew they were voting for more cuts/job losses to our services.Public enquires/Recomendations seem to do feck all.I remember hearing this when baby P died.Anything changed for the better ?

Tory MP Roger Gale was on Times Radio this evening asserting that Arthur had told people of his situation.

He also asserted that Victoria Climbie was a toddler.

Maybe, just maybe, his grasp on facts is suspect.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
As in what ? Do you genuinely think any of them knew of the horror that would happen ? There again you could say a fair few of them probally voted Tory so knew they were voting for more cuts/job losses to our services.Public enquires/Recomendations seem to do feck all.I remember hearing this when baby P died.Anything changed for the better ?

My point exactly ie nothing has changed (number of children killed remains stubbornly more or less unchained).

I doubt there were many Tory voters among the crowd, not that I see the relevance of that.

I posted earlier regarding the usual “lessons will be learned “ crap.

Milzy

I’ve got family & friends in the business & they’ve transferred to other areas & are not been replaced. Also half of the teams are constantly on sick, some genuinely stressed but most taking the pee. They end up with 4000 Bradford points but still never get warnings leading to sack. So I do have incite into how thinly spread they are.
If a community nursery nurse raises a concern it’s up to the health visitor to act & then onto social care. It’s easy for a break in the chain to happen usually because they don’t want all the extra work so do the “it’ll be reet” thing.

I’ve got family & friends in the business & they’ve transferred to other areas & are not been replaced. Also half of the teams are constantly on sick, some genuinely stressed but most taking the pee. They end up with 4000 Bradford points but still never get warnings leading to sack. So I do have incite into how thinly spread they are.
If a community nursery nurse raises a concern it’s up to the health visitor to act & then onto social care. It’s easy for a break in the chain to happen usually because they don’t want all the extra work so do the “it’ll be reet” thing.

Cool story bro...

D

Deleted member 28

It's an argument often used by the coppers.

Blame stress, overwork, and budget cuts for doing a crap job.
Yes but that will still be their faults because they're fascist bully boys!

stowie

You don't understand it yet you're calling for the parents to be put to death because of it?

??

I am 100% against the death penalty, but if there was any case for it then this one would be it for me.

Maybe my phrasing was poor or something - it was hypothetical. If I was undecided on the death penalty then I suspect this would be the type of case that would convince me . But I am not undecided. Death penalty under any circumstances is not something I would be able to agree to.

Unless you are/were intimating that his need for care was a contributing factor in his death, are you?

I'm suggesting it might be a factor contributing to his being resented by his stepmother and his father.

If you want to call that victim blaming then that's your call.

If that sounds harsh I'm sorry but it'd not really something we can debate.

Let's see what the inquiries come up with. Media coverage this morning suggests that the Local Safeguarding Board will report soon.

icowden

Legendary Member
I read through the sentencing remarks yesterday, and some of it might be arguable in terms of the sentencing (I think).
The starting point for Tustin was 30 years. In order to start at "whole life" tariff, the person needs to have committed :-

the murder of a child if involving the abduction of the child or sexual or sadistic motivation,

I'm not a lawyer or a judge but I whether Tustin's motivation was sadistic seems to be somewhat opinion based. In this case the Judge felt the threshold was not met. The Judge then takes into account aggravating and mitigating factors. He states that he has taken all aggravating features into account to meet the starting point but allows mitigation to reduce the starting point to 29 years but sets parole at sentence end, meaning she will serve the full sentence.

In the father's case I'm not sure there can be much argument. He was convicted of manslaughter and given pretty much the maximum starting point.

I think Julian will do well to convince the system a 29 year tariff is too lenient for a female murderer.
As I've observed many times, gender equality has yet to reach sentencing.
Exactly same happened with those dreadful young creatures who killed the copper by dragging him behind their car and stolen quad bike.

Julian needs convince nobody of anything. That's the attorney general's job surely? I agree with your first sentence though.
I don't see how the case quoted in the third line is comparable in any way. The Judge agreed that it could not be certain that the boys were aware that PC Harper was caught up behind the car, and set the sentencing accordingly.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I don't see how the case quoted in the third line is comparable in any way.

You've edited the most important bit.

As regards the male killer, the judge's sentencing guns were spiked as soon as the jury declined to convict him of murder.

The Harper killers and the male killer in this case were all convicted of manslaughter, which as I said, effectively spikes the judge's sentencing guns.

What also inevitably happens is victims and onlookers go crackers about it.

As regards the female, there is some headroom in the tariff if their lordships decide to use it - assuming the referral gets that far.

By the by, the judge doesn't set parole for her, she must serve the tariff in cold blood before being considered for parole.

Lots of serving lifers are beyond their tariff, so there's no guarantees for her, unlike him - he will almost automatically be released after two thirds, which is 14 years in his case.

Top Bottom