Arthur Labinjo-Hughes: A life cut short by cruelty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

I'm conflicted about this second case.
First up I thought only the harshest of harsh sentences would fit. But then in one of the photos one of the perpetrators has scrubbed up sexy like Emma Raducanu - nothing like the raddled skank who did the first one - so I'm thinking maybe some leniency should be shown her?

It's tricky distilling my man-feelings of rage and lust into sound penal decisions.
If only we had some sort of impartial judiciary for determining these things.
The murderer, Savannah Brockhill, bouncer and amateur boxer who basically used a 16 month old child as a punchbag, was given 25 years, so less that that of the murderer of Arthur, the woman in your post (the mother of the abused and murdered toddler) was given 8 years. Neither of those sentences were long enough in my opinion, especially the mother's which is far too soft.

Your plea for leniency seems to have been granted.

Star Hobson murder: Savannah Brockhill jailed for 25 years - BBC News

The murderer, Savannah Brockhill, bouncer and amateur boxer who basically used a 16 month old child as a punchbag, was given 25 years, so less that that of the murderer of Arthur, the woman in your post (the mother of the abused and murdered toddler) was given 8 years. Neither of those sentences were long enough in my opinion, especially the mother's which is far too soft.

Your plea for leniency seems to have been granted.

Star Hobson murder: Savannah Brockhill jailed for 25 years - BBC News

That sort of reporting drives me nuts.

She's been jailed for LIFE as the law requires for murder. Twenty five years is the minimum term she must serve before even being looked at for parole.

Judges are now regularly adding an explanation to their sentencing remarks to explain this. The BBC should be ashamed of themselves for failing in the 'inform' limb of their mission.

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

She's been jailed for LIFE
She took the LIFE of a 16 month old child (pretty much a baby) who will never grow up, someone who in likelyhood would have reach what, 50, 60, 70 years of age? Brockhill was given a life sentence but she could be out in a little over 25 years, how does that equate to what she took from the child, how is that, justice?

As for the mother, 8 years so she could be out in 5?

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

"Time is ignorance."

Carlo Rovelli
"Time opens up our limited access to the world. Time, then, is the form in which we beings, whose brains are made up essentially of memory and foresight, interact with the world: it is the source of identity."

Carlo Rovelli

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
She took the LIFE of a 16 month old child (pretty much a baby) who will never grow up, someone who in likelyhood would have reach what, 50, 60, 70 years of age? Brockhill was given a life sentence but she could be out in a little over 25 years, how does that equate to what she took from the child, how is that, justice?

When it comes to criminal justice, we shouldn't make decisions in bold, much less in caps lock.

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

When it comes to criminal justice, we shouldn't make decisions in bold, much less in caps lock.
Is that it, your considered opinion on infanticide, the torture, abuse and murder of the most vulnerable by sadistic parents and their partners?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Tbf I doubt that the decisions are made that way, but people are entitled to feel as aggrieved as they want.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
"Time opens up our limited access to the world. Time, then, is the form in which we beings, whose brains are made up essentially of memory and foresight, interact with the world: it is the source of identity."

Carlo Rovelli

On a branch
floating downriver
a cricket, singing.

Issa
trans. Hirshfield

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

Indeed. And people do need an outlet to vent their frustrations.
Absolutely, we all have a vent threshold, I get pretty annoyed with child murderers, and some people get pretty pissed off when they can't complete their meal deal in Tesco Metro.

The actual sentencing remarks from the Judge are here:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/R-v-Brockhill-Smith-sentencing-151221.pdf

To me they seem rational and composed.

swansonj

Regular
I want to be honest enough to be open about my views. I think that the only justification for long sentences, indeed possibly for any prison sentences, is where the offender is a risk to others through reoffending. I am not interested in making someone suffer, no matter what suffering they have inflicted on innocent others. I am interested in reforming people, and I'm not remotely persuaded that serving say 25 rather than 20 years makes any difference to the chances of reformation.

Top Bottom