American bombshell? Roe vs. Wade....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
What's peculiar is that I have been aware of the term since the start of my erm, interest, in mucky words for base human behaviour, as a kid in the 70s. I have never been aware of it meaning anything other than the above lucid description!

I knew exactly what it meant, I guess because I've got a particularly dirty lexicon. So that's me not exactly covered in glory.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
I risked my search history, so you lot wouldn't have to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_hole

Apparently the earliest traceable use of the expression in this context is 1949, although records of the practice itself date back to 1707. The term would appear to have been appropriated from the more innocent (if that's the right word) usage our Agricultural Correspondent mentioned earlier.

Round my gaff, the word 'felch' is commonly used to describe a type of salad, finely chopped and garnished with mayonnaise and dressing. Company permitting, and apropos of nothing at all, obviously. :smile:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I once watched an episode of American Dad where the phrase 'lefty cappucino' was mentioned in passing. Looked it up. Don't. It's not a hot beverage.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Is any clearer illustration needed of why 'Christian theology' should be kept out of the 'subjective human' realm in which all human lawmaking occurs and in which human subjects need actual human healthcare?

'Christian theology ' imposes an external moral standard on killing, theft, adultery, greed ... that can be summed up in the phrase 'you shall love your neighbour as yourself'.

That has largely been rejected by modern society, replaced by following self, each person does what they consider right in their own eyes, a DIY morality.

Simultaneously there are constant complaints about abuse, misogyny, violence and rape in particular. These evils are, however, individuals exercising their personal autonomy with no regard for any notion of a common good. The good of the other.

Abortion is a specific example of this - a woman exercising a claimed personal autonomy (who grants this right?) at the expense of an 'other', namely the unborn child she is hosting.

As for the specific case where this comes about because of rape if Christian sex ethics were lived out there would be no rape.

The rejection of the 'external standard' comes at a price, because you have to allow the same freedom to everyone else. In a Darwinian world this will mean the strong dominate the weak.

So l say we need an external standard if there is to be any hope at least of reigning in our innate selfishness.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
As for the specific case where this comes about because of rape if Christian sex ethics were lived out there would be no rape.

Yeah right....

Salty seadog

mudsticks

Squire
You'd almost think that people want women and girls to suffer..

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/18/health/young-girls-pregnancy-childbirth.html
Like Mary did, or summat..
After all that's what women are for right??

'Christian theology ' imposes an external moral standard on killing, theft, adultery, greed ... that can be summed up in the phrase 'you shall love your neighbour as yourself'.

That has largely been rejected by modern society, replaced by following self, each person does what they consider right in their own eyes, a DIY morality.

Simultaneously there are constant complaints about abuse, misogyny, violence and rape in particular. These evils are, however, individuals exercising their personal autonomy with no regard for any notion of a common good. The good of the other.

Abortion is a specific example of this - a woman exercising a claimed personal autonomy (who grants this right?) at the expense of an 'other', namely the unborn child she is hosting.

The rejection of the 'external standard' comes at a price, because you have to allow the same freedom to everyone else. In a Darwinian world this will mean the strong dominate the weak.

So l say we need an external standard if there is to be any hope at least of reigning in our innate selfishness.

Honestly..??

No one would have worked out that abuse, misogyny, and rape were 'wrong' without an external 'supernatural being' to tell them that ??

Seriously, I've met some pretty dumb guys .

But really.??

Bazzer

Ah yes, the ethics of male dominated churches. Who don't treat women as equals. Who have a track record of causing misery, to a vast number of people for the last two millennia. And who from the pope down, have demonstrated their ethical standards, by sheltering and/or being abusers.

mudsticks

Squire
Ah yes, the ethics of male dominated churches. Who don't treat women as equals. Who have a track record of causing misery, to a vast number of people for the last two millennia. And who from the pope down, have demonstrated their ethical standards, by sheltering and/or being abusers.

It's old school male dominated patriachal culture that can't seem to cope with the idea that women should be able to choose when, or if at all, to have kids

They try to pretend they're all about 'the unborn' whilst it's really all about trying to keep control over women.
It's what some believe is literally their 'God given right' to do.

If they really cared about women or about born children being wanted and properly cared for, they'd promote really good healthy sex and relationship education .

They'd advocate for free access to birth control, and reproductive healthcare..

They'd campaign against VAWAG far more vociferously, and campaign for women's rights, parental leave, childcare provision, and social support..

But no, it's all about trying to control womens bodies, control their sexuality, to force them to have unwanted children (why?) and to preserve patriachal control.

All hiding behind so called 'Christianity' .
Which leads to this kind of horror.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/15/indiana-caitlin-bernard-doctor-abortion

Of course there are plenty of sensible practicing Christians who fully uphold a woman's right to choose of course, who see this is a healthcare, and human rights issue. .

It's just these forced birthers are trying to give their ideas a veneer of credibility by making out it's about being 'Christian' .

Top Bottom