3 by-elections - let’s have your comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
We could have admired and had a trade deal with Belarus the way things were going.
Only us left holding the flag for fptp,

PR does give voice. Yet maybe it contains too.

Last edited:

spen666

Scotland rejected Brexit by 62% in 2016, ....

That is not quite correct though is it?

62% voted remain
38% voted leave

So Scotland rejected Brexit by 24 %. ( 62%-38%)

icowden

Legendary Member
And that's also not a correct correction.
Of the 3,987,112 people eligible to vote, only 1,018,322 voted to leave.

Only 25.5% of the Scottish Electorate voted leave. 41.6% voted remain. 32.9% of the population did not vote and should therefore be seen as supporting the status quo. Thus 74.5% were not interested in leaving Europe.

The story is similar in England where only 38.9% of the population voted Leave. And yet the minority were seen as "winning".

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed

62% voted remain
38% voted leave

So Scotland rejected Brexit by 24 %. ( 62%-38%)

You remind me of all those indignant Tories going, "38%'s a lot of people, you know!", when people in Scotland point out that not a single area of the country voted in favour of Brexit.

I'm not great with numbers but using your method of calculation it would appear that Brexit was endorsed by a whole 1.5% of the electorate on the day. Do feel free to (correctly) point out that isn't how counting works. :smile:

Xipe Totec

It occurs to me that maybe Scotland's part of Brexit vote worked on a version of the FPTP system - you know, like the one where 42% of the popular vote can result in an 80-seat majority.

Wish they'd told us at the time...

Pale Rider

Veteran
The more I think about, the more I'm inclined to boot Scotland out of the Union, if only to stop the whining.

Let's see what services they can run with the money raised from the six or seven people in Glasgow who are working and not on drugs.

Like the rest of England, Scotland is heavily dependent on the economic powerhouse which is London and the south east.

Without that, we are all properly skint.

The difference is the rest of England is not seeking to divorce itself from where its bread is baked and buttered.

Xipe Totec

The more I think about, the more I'm inclined to boot Scotland out of the Union, if only to stop the whining.

Let's see what services they can run with the money raised from the six or seven people in Glasgow who are working and not on drugs.

Like the rest of England, Scotland is heavily dependent on the economic powerhouse which is London and the south east.

Without that, we are all properly skint.

The difference is the rest of England is not seeking to divorce itself from where its bread is baked and buttered.

Surely you must have wondered why Westminster has never proposed doing exactly that?

Do you genuinely believe that Cameron, then May, then Johnson, then Truss and then Sunak wanted to hang on to those bitter, whining, drug-addled, inbred, sponging, alcoholic subsidy-junkies - who would never, ever vote Conservative - out of the kindness of their hearts?

I suppose you must.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I was delighted to read that the Tory candidate for Rutherglen lost his deposit.

Xipe Totec

I was delighted to read that the Tory candidate for Rutherglen lost his deposit.

That's never bad news - but down to Tory supporters (and the four or five LibDems) voting Labour. Readers in Engerlund will likely not understand how common it is for the UK-based parties to team up against the SNP. Sir Starmer's headlong charge towards TurboThatcherism just serves to make it more palatable for Tory voters.

albion

Guru
The only puzzle left for Scotland is how much of a flow will go back to the SNP.
The attractive union now is for the EU.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Surely you must have wondered why Westminster has never proposed doing exactly that?

Do you genuinely believe that Cameron, then May, then Johnson, then Truss and then Sunak wanted to hang on to those bitter, whining, drug-addled, inbred, sponging, alcoholic subsidy-junkies - who would never, ever vote Conservative - out of the kindness of their hearts?

I suppose you must.

It's like the books of BP, you can present the figures to show almost anything.

But where do you think the vast majority of the wealth of the UK is created?

Clue: It's not the Trossachs.

Xipe Totec

It's like the books of BP, you can present the figures to show almost anything.

But where do you think the vast majority of the wealth of the UK is created?

Clue: It's not the Trossachs.

You already expressed that opinion.

Why don't you answer the simple and direct question I asked?

Pale Rider

Veteran
Why don't you answer the simple and direct question I asked?

You mean why haven't we dumped the cost centre that is Scotland years ago?

That's such a dumb question I thought you were messing about.

It's clear the Queen was in favour of keeping Scotland in the Union.

For a Conservative, that's an end to it.

Then there's the small matter of the referendum, so the Jockos want to stay as well.

Further, when independence goes badly wrong, England, as the closest neighbour, would have to sort it out.

Thus there is an element of protecting the idiots from themselves.

Top Bottom