Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Guru
I didn’t mean the “headline” numbers, I meant the distribution, and, the usual situation that the poorest are the most affected. But, yes, I accept the article is 6 years old, I doubt things have improved.

Like @AndyRM, I have spent some time in USA (one of my grandchildren was born there), and, although I would not want to spend my life there, I don’t recognize the picture painted here.

The USA is a huge area with a big population. I guess the chances of being at a place and witnessing such an incident is remote. Nonetheless the estimate is for 50 000 deaths this year. Add injuries, hold up where no shots are fired, the problem is sizeable. Biden is commenting that there is a crisis and pushing for more gun control.

I'm really posting though to reinforce your point about distribution. I thought you might like to see this blob chart of gun deaths for 2023 for the period 1st Jan to March 9th.

gund death map 2023.png

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The USA is a huge area with a big population. I guess the chances of being at a place and witnessing such an incident is remote. Nonetheless the estimate is for 50 000 deaths this year. Add injuries, hold up where no shots are fired, the problem is sizeable. Biden is commenting that there is a crisis and pushing for more gun control.

I'm really posting though to reinforce your point about distribution. I thought you might like to see this blob chart of gun deaths for 2023 for the period 1st Jan to March 9th.

View attachment 3493

Pretty much reflects the population spread:

2000_Population_Distribution.jpg

multitool

Shaman
Pretty sure quite a lot of us have spent time there. With the exception of a few people who've never left whatever Midlands shithole it is that they inhabit, and whose outlook is as parochial as one might expect.

What struck me about the US is that people behave themselves. Far more than in the UK.

Nevertheless, US culture is suffused with violence.

monkers

Guru
Pretty sure quite a lot of us have spent time there. With the exception of a few people who've never left whatever Midlands shithole it is that they inhabit, and whose outlook is as parochial as one might expect.

What struck me about the US is that people behave themselves. Far more than in the UK.

Ouch.

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I'd like to import that weird thing where kids call their father "sir" though and the incredibly controlling nature of parenting that comes across in many US shows. Nor the parochial rules of the home owners association.

Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
A large number of the US gun deaths are suicides. Again, another good reason for gun control in order to protect people from themselves and acting on impulse.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Is that a positive aspect of Americans, in your opinion?

multitool

Shaman
Is that a positive aspect of Americans, in your opinion?

D

Deleted member 28

You are so brave behind that keyboard of yours toolio, I'm so glad you've finally found a way to play the 'big man' through the Internet.

I assume you had a torrid time at boarding school being bullied but now you've got your chance to man up I suppose, I bet you still pi$$ the bed though.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Why on earth I'm bothering to respond is beyond me.

US culture is not 'suffused with violence'. It's a myth and a stereotype you've decided to peddle for whatever reason.

You've managed Heat as an example so far.

multitool

Shaman
Yes, I don't know why you are bothering to answer either.

You are right though. Heat is the only US film ever to feature violence. There are no other US films or TV shows that feature violence. Westerns? Was all just blokes riding about. No guns. 24/Jack Reacher? Was about Kiefer Sutherland's passion for butterfly collecting. Breaking Bad? It was a romance. And if you filter out the children's films and tv shows ftom either streaming TV channels, or indeed the top grossing films in US...guess what...no violence. Star Wars, Jaws, not there.

No you're right, and I apologise. Violence does not exist in US film and tv culture and there is no evidence of it reflected in US life in general because guns are not in any way fetishised, nobody ever dresses up and parades about in assault gear, and in fact nobody even owns a gun. And you've been there, so you know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom