£15 minimum wage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now stop avoiding the question, where does the money come from
I have already explained where at least some of it should come from as well as the reasons it is desirable. £15 may or may not be the correct figure but there is no doubt that the current rate leaves many hard working families in poverty.

the snail

... As we have decided, everyone above minimum wage should also get an appropriate uplift...
Why? What are you going to do? Quit your job and work in a care home? Maybe that would be a good thing. Wouldn't it be a good thing to reduce inequality in society?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Why? What are you going to do? Quit your job and work in a care home? Maybe that would be a good thing. Wouldn't it be a good thing to reduce inequality in society?
Why would it be a good thing that a very experienced clinician senior manager, running a team delivering the largest public health programme in history, went to work in a care home?

But let's take me out of it, you would have a band 2 new starter trainee housekeeper 17 year old being paid the same as a graduate clinician, with two years experience.

Is that the reduction in inequality you are after?

the snail

Why would it be a good thing that a very experienced clinician senior manager, running a team delivering the largest public health programme in history, went to work in a care home?

But let's take me out of it, you would have a band 2 new starter trainee housekeeper 17 year old being paid the same as a graduate clinician, with two years experience.

Is that the reduction in inequality you are after?
Presumably there will inevitably be adjustments, but if you double the minimum wage, it doesn't follow that everyone else needs to have their wage doubled, and senior staff probably wouldn't need a raise at all.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Presumably there will inevitably be adjustments, but if you double the minimum wage, it doesn't follow that everyone else needs to have their wage doubled, and senior staff probably wouldn't need a raise at all.
And here is the problem.

Definitely nearly double some wages, then sort of maybe make some a bit more, but then some don't get a raise at all.

Just for fun then (give it a go), if you are moving someone with pretty much zero responsibility at all from £18500 to £29000, how much would you now pay someone who has a degree and two years of clinical experience and is currently on £27700? And at what point would you not qualify for a raise at all?

D

Deleted member 49

Lol...how many I'm alright the rest can't earn as much as me ! Or the workers who have convinced themselves that they don't deserve things to get any better.
Not interested in what you earn....I'm more interested in making things fairer.Feck it there's money to go round it just doesn't filter down.

Mr Celine

I. was, but, it may have been the 80's by the time I took out that mortgage, it did not end well ;)
Likewise, late 80s and early 90s for me, paid off early with a redundancy pay out.

My father bought a five bedroom house in 1967 using the maximum mortgage he could get. There wasn't much money left over after paying the interest and providing for a family.
Over the following 15+ years prices were rising rapidly, but so were his wages and as the latter rose so the percentage of his salary which he paid out in mortgage interest reduced.

He paid off the entire sum borrowed in 1991 using little over one month's salary, he didn't actually need the endowment.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Lol...how many I'm alright the rest can't earn as much as me ! Or the workers who have convinced themselves that they don't deserve things to get any better.
Not interested in what you earn....I'm more interested in making things fairer.Feck it there's money to go round it just doesn't filter down.
But still no idea at all, even in the slightest, how this ludicrous policy would ever be paid for.

Hey, why not go for £875 an hour as a minimum wage, that would level everyone up nicely.

Archie_tect

And here is the problem.

Definitely nearly double some wages, then sort of maybe make some a bit more, but then some don't get a raise at all.

Just for fun then (give it a go), if you are moving someone with pretty much zero responsibility* at all from £18500 to £29000, how much would you now pay someone who has a degree and two years of clinical experience and is currently on £27700? And at what point would you not qualify for a raise at all?
*There you go, keep the poorest down... where they belong... Perhaps if those who can all give, do, then everyone benefits from not spending millions on means testing and administering benefits. People then can afford better diets, and better life balance so are healthier reducing the long term burden on the NHS.

But if those who already have a decent wage for the work they do, demand more because poor people get to have a reasonable wage for a working week, or for their part-time work, then the system can't cope.

Which would you have Craig, keep everything as it is because people like you or me deserve better or balance what we have more equally to give poorer people a chance in life? It shouldn't be a hard question.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Which would you have Craig, keep everything as it is because people like you or me deserve better or balance what we have more equally to give poorer people a chance in life? It shouldn't be a hard question.
I have never said don't raise the minimum wage, but where did £15 come from, what is it based on, how will it be paid for, and what happens when the experienced graduate realises that they earn the same by taking up an entry level job with zero responsibility against the level of responsibility they have now? Or do we raise their wages, and to what level, and what about the more senior people who are now being paid less than their team members, or do we raise their wages too?

Come on, give it some thought and stop using slogans, tell us how you think it would work.

Oh, and I get paid very well thank-you, but I am under loads of pressure.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Likewise, late 80s and early 90s for me, paid off early with a redundancy pay out.

My father bought a five bedroom house in 1967 using the maximum mortgage he could get. There wasn't much money left over after paying the interest and providing for a family.
Over the following 15+ years prices were rising rapidly, but so were his wages and as the latter rose so the percentage of his salary which he paid out in mortgage interest reduced.

He paid off the entire sum borrowed in 1991 using little over one month's salary, he didn't actually need the endowment.

and?

FishFright

Why do the lowest paid getting a pay rise wrecks the economy whilst the top few percent have in recent years had their income doubled , at least, and yet this does nothing bad to the inflation rates?
Could it be that a sizeable amount leaves the country to more tax friendly locations ?

Top Bottom