When were you last inspired by a British politician?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
As I've got older I've realised that all our idols end up having feet of clay. There are very few public figures who stand up to scrutiny in both their professional and personal lives.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
Yeah... true...but Enoch, tho

mudsticks

Squire
As I've got older I've realised that all our idols end up having feet of clay. There are very few public figures who stand up to scrutiny in both their professional and personal lives.

I think it's a very poor idea to idolise anyone.

For whatever reason.
Put anyone on a pedestal and you're bound to be disappointed before too long.

You can still be inspired by the actions, and stance taken by others.
Even as they show themselves to be fallible humans at the same time.

People having self awareness, trying their best, but also owning up to their own flaws and shortcomings with honesty, humility, and even a little humour can be inspiring in its way too.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
As an aside, Diane Abbott has had the whip withdrawn.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/dian...r-suggesting-jews-do-not-face-racism-12864141

Edited to add that it's for this:

FuYZO2JWcAAS9YY.jpeg

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
As an aside, Diane Abbott has had the whip withdrawn.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/dian...r-suggesting-jews-do-not-face-racism-12864141

Edited to add that it's for this:

View attachment 3715

Tell me again how there was no anti-semitism in the Labour party under Corbyn? I get that as a black woman she is going to have a different view on racism to me, a white man, but she was shadow home secretary FFS.

Is it overly dramatic to say that it sounds like straight up Holocaust denial to me?

multitool

Shaman
Abbott's statement is extraordinarily tactless. I understand the point she is making, but I don't know why she only chooses to focus on US racism against blacks. There is racism around the globe, whether it be anti-chinese sentiment in Indonesia leading to the genocide of the 60's or anti-Uighur racism in China, currently.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

Fair enough. It's a genuine question because I'm making a quick response, I haven't exactly taken my time to consider it.

It is anti-semitic at the very least, I'm pretty sure of that.

monkers

Guru
I don't think the problem is that she is denying the struggles both past and present of any group of people. I don't happen to agree that this is Holocaust denial.

I think she doesn't understand that 'race' does not only pertain to skin colour or where one is from or ancestrally from.

Top Bottom