War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

Strange. Your first paragraph (per highlighted statement) is in complete contradition to your second (also per highligted statement). The former is consistent with the Daily Fail pap you so clearly despise.

I did not associate Russia with a bear to indicate they are unpredictable rogues - that's your assumption. I doubt you can find any suggestion in my comments in this parish showing that's what I think of them.
How is that a contradiction?

How is that a contradiction?
Is it not a contradiction, that your "madman" also "know exactly what they are doing and know exactly what goals they aim to achieve", and "is playing the long game."?

Still not seeing much to disagree with here.
I am probably old fashioned, but for a country's senior politician, in this case someone apparently touted as and aspiring to being the next PM of UK, associating Russia with the Nazis, and the mafia, is to me a very sad state of affair indeed.

One might personally think individual acts of a regime disagreeable (and which regime had not acted disagreeably?), and one can reasonably agree with statements of facts in news pointing such out. But that is rather different to critiquing an aspring/potential PM's public statement, which is what you and I are doing, aren't we?

Nobody is perfect, but a useful thought experiment might be, would Angela Merkel have written that if she were in Tugendhat's shoes, and if not why not?

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Standing in Russia's shoes, have they not seen their territory shrunk from the USSR to that of today,
The USSR was not Russia. The countries controlled by Russia decided they wanted independence. Putin still longs for those days.
Do you seriously believe the US today would not gladly bless Russia with same in a heartbeat given the chance? And you say this "battle for influence" is "no threat to Russia's territory"?
What they would theoretically "bless" Russia with is neither here nor there, Russia feels the same about them. There have not been and afaik are not planned invasions/threats to Russian territory.

This is a thread about Russia not about China, which is just a deflection and, I believe, the subject of another thread

mudsticks

Squire
Is ‘gas‘ the correct answer to the second part?

Is it just me being cynical , but did Jonson seem in an almighty hurry to cut short his 'Tour of the North' in order that he attend a cosy cobra meeting about the Ukraine.,??

In the past he doesn't seem to have been quite so keen to change his schedule, to footle about with urgent matters over which he might even have had some useful influence .

Covid response , and Afhan evacuations, spring to mind...

It's almost as if he didn't want to have to face a bunch of cross northerners..

Who had probs preemptively fitted child locks to all fridges within reach..

Putin's getting just what he wants. Prominance on the world stage, world leaders as his puppets. Good for domestic consumption.
He'll milk it 'till it turns into cream.
An invasion is a very high risk strategy, domestically speaking.
The west needs to grow a pair otherwise this will run and run....

Support for Putin is on the wane in mother Russia and he knows it....

FishFright

Putin's getting just what he wants. Prominance on the world stage, world leaders as his puppets. Good for domestic consumption.
He'll milk it 'till it turns into cream.
An invasion is a very high risk strategy, domestically speaking.
The west needs to grow a pair otherwise this will run and run....

Support for Putin is on the wane in mother Russia and he knows it....

What do you think the West should actually do ? Once they've grown a pair of course.

What do you think the West should actually do ? Once they've grown a pair of course.
Militarily prepare to stand up and be counted.
Rapidly deploy in large numbers within striking distance then don't pander to him. He cannot be allowed to think he can threaten or invade the likes of Ukraine because he wants to. Sanctions are all well and good, but it's water of a ducks back once he's in Kiyv....

Still not seeing much to disagree with here.
True but the quote come from a longer article that likens Russia to the Nazis' like @RecordAceFromNew showed the outtakes from. I agree with him that that is the issue, because it is not correct, calling the Nazis's something like that completly ignores the fact making fun of Jews, talking about Jews in a negative way was common before the second world war. Yes it took an wicked regime like the Nazi's but the groundwork was laid long before it.
Russia has a wicked leader who in turns is not afraid to kill or disaable his opposition but does not have the same wicked agenda as the Nazi's had, ik think he is more compareable to Erdogan, but think they are bigger than anything bot want to restore their country to how it used to be.(Putin want to restore the sovjet union, Erdogan the ottoman empire.

Militarily prepare to stand up and be counted.
Rapidly deploy in large numbers within striking distance then don't pander to him. He cannot be allowed to think he can threaten or invade the likes of Ukraine because he wants to. Sanctions are all well and good, but it's water of a ducks back once he's in Kiyv....
Seems somebody has been reading my posts....

Nato considering new battlegroups to bolster eastern flank​

Daniel-Boffey.jpg

Daniel Boffey
Nato’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, is holding a press conference at the military alliance’s headquarters following talks with defence ministers.
He has told reporters that Nato is considering further battle groups to complement the four in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, led by the UK, Canada, Germany and the US.
Stoltenberg said the French government had offered to lead a battlegroup in Romania, adding:
We will have advice from the military commanders within weeks and we will make a decision after that.
The development risks antagonising Moscow but it will also be seen as a warning to the Kremlin that the aggression of recent months will be rewarded with a further Nato presence in central and eastern Europe.

mjr

It seems a conference is being held in Munich today to discuss the Russia-Ukraine situation.

A Munich Conference does not sound reassuring.

Top Bottom